The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Cap Space ?

kingofsurrey

Just now, Rick Blight said:

CAPFRIENDLY shows the totals for forwards, d-men and goalies.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Does it show the total spent by the Canucks on all of their forwards ?

I would love to compare clubs by how much they allocate to their forwards...    vs how much of their cap they spend on all their D.

Not sure if that is on cap friendly..

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Does it show the total spent by the Canucks on all of their forwards ?

I would love to compare clubs by how much they allocate to their forwards...    vs how much of their cap they spend on all their D.

Not sure if that is on cap friendly..

Yes, it is there. Canucks have 15 forwards under contract for $44,387,500 - $44,...387,500)

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg spends 25 mil on D

Nashville spends 24 mil on D

Canucks spend 20 mil on D this year....

Would our club do do better with more contract cap space used on D ?   UFA for D ?

I think the amount spent on cap space for d-men is a reflection of the quality of that team's d-men for the most part. If you are asking if the Canucks could upgrade their D then I think the answer would be yes.

Nashville actually has 8 d-men signed for 24mil and the Canucks with 7 at 20mil is quite comparable on average.

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Would our club do do better with more contract cap space used on D ?   UFA for D ?

The Predators knew that Ellis would not start the season with them so they added Emelin - 3M cap hit. They probably wouldn't have added him otherwise.  

They traded for Subban but he's at 9M vs 10.25M for Josi, Ekholm and Ellis.  D5, D6 and D7 are well under 1M each.  That being said Ellis is UFA in two seasons and he's going to command a substantial increase.

Just now, xereau said:

They still have some fun money.

Not really.  Russo suggested that 2M was what the Wild would like as cap space to enter the season feeling comfortable.  They've never managed and have been really close to the cap.  It's a nuisance to deal with because injured players still count against the cap.  Each season they got so tight that they could only recall players a few hours before the games and had to send them back down straight after.  Last year there were times where Boudreau did not have a full lineup at practice because they did not have the cap space to keep the players up.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Signing ufa 's   Is really a matter of gms prerception of needs though 

surely d is quickest way for a club to improve

Our defence looks pretty sound to me. Gudbranson and Tanev need to stay healthy and if they do we perform much better than last year. Hutton and Stecher can and need to take a step forward. Del Zotto can help shore up our PP if Hutton can't fill that role. Wiercioch, Holm, Biega, Pedan, and possibly McEneny and Subban are all pretty sound extras. Juolevi is in the pipeline. I don't think we need to throw money at defencemen at this stage. Edler will be on the way out when Juolevi needs to start getting a bunch of minutes. Hutton is still in his early to mid 20s as is Stecher and Gudbranson. D-core for most teams is built from within since d-men are so expensive to acquire via trade or free agency. I see a playoff d-core from the guys mentioned. If we can get more offence from Hutton and Stecher and we are good imo.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks Cap Space ?

Do the Canucks use too much Cap space on our forwards... ?

Anywhere to see each clubs  cap  total spending on forwards vs D men ?

The balance between F-D-G is pretty good. What should encourage you is looking ahead to 2018/19 when we'll have 30 mil freed up. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

They tried to spend more money by trading for Subban.  I think it is no secret that the club would like to add a #1 D.  The problem is there aren't that many of them.

You get into real trouble overpaying for UFA top 4 guys who don't give you that #1.  There really aren't many shortcuts to finding your own guy.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The balance between F-D-G is pretty good. What should encourage you is looking ahead to 2018/19 when we'll have 30 mil freed up. 

if sedins decide to resign i hope the resign 2 yrs 1.5 mill per yr each  would open 11 mill  for an elite sniper and a offensive dman ufa next yr  plus kids hungry fir spots  win win   i have a feeling benning will trade sutter and tanev, vanek  at deadline if we arent in playoff spot 

Just now, canuktravella said:

if sedins decide to resign i hope the resign 2 yrs 1.5 mill per yr each  would open 11 mill  for an elite sniper and a offensive dman ufa next yr  plus kids hungry fir spots  win win   i have a feeling benning will trade sutter and tanev, vanek  at deadline if we arent in playoff spot 

get sedins sone elite help hext yr for cup run  id offer joe thornton a one yr 7 mill contract             thornton sedin horvat  petersson gaudette  decent 5 centers 

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Offensive D tend to have a premium in the viewpoint of NHL GMs - and it's tough to deny Subban's offensive skills.  Haven't they seemed to be always a D factory with respect to their drafting though?

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Interesting to see Canucks spend 20 mi on our D men.

Flames spend 25 mil on their D men.

I wonder if Canucks would see greater improvement if more of our cap was allocated towards D men.....

Wait, didn't we just ask Garrison and Bieksa to waive NTCs to correct that situation?

Archived