The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Cap Space ?

kingofsurrey

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Interesting to see Canucks spend 20 mi on our D men.

Flames spend 25 mil on their D men.

I wonder if Canucks would see greater improvement if more of our cap was allocated towards D men.....

We're rebuilding...

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

get sedins sone elite help hext yr for cup run  id offer joe thornton a one yr 7 mill contract             thornton sedin horvat  petersson gaudette  decent 5 centers 

By the time Petersson and Gaudette arrive ole Joe will be out of the league.

this salary allocations, between d and forwards, is somewhat cyclical

overall the canucks are a bit younger on d presently and that keeps the total d salary expense down

canucks must the one of the lowest spending clubs for what they spend on their best dman .. tanev.. about 4.6 million

when the younger talented forwards begin to join the club the spending on offense should also come down

the canucks are also on the low end for what they spend on goalies

we presently spend less on goaltending now then what our starter was paid last year

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

if sedins decide to resign i hope the resign 2 yrs 1.5 mill per yr each  would open 11 mill  for an elite sniper and a offensive dman ufa next yr  plus kids hungry fir spots  win win   i have a feeling benning will trade sutter and tanev, vanek  at deadline if we arent in playoff spot 

I think they will look to extend one year at a time on some lower salary contracts if they're not ready to be retired. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If i am gm i would pass on that

time to let bo run this team 

those things don't have to be exclusive of each other. The twins could easily be around and contribute for a few more years with fewer minutes and on different lines 5 on 5 and Bo can be the new C. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think they will look to extend one year at a time on some lower salary contracts if they're not ready to be retired. 

Still not sure if management is even going to want them back.  A LOT could depend on how kids progress and Kane's interest leading up to July 1st. 

As per my post on Baer, there's not a lot of room at the inn. Future HOF's or otherwise...

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Too many players, not enough spots. Something's got to give.

Horvat, Granlund, Baer, Eriksson, Gagner, Rodin, Boeser, Petterson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Lind are all going to be fighting for top 9 spots the next few years.

That's 15 guys. 9 spots. And I probably missed a couple.

Never mind possibly re-signing the twins or anyone like say Zhukenov or Jasek' surprising'. Or a top player from one of the next few drafts....

Sure not all of those guys will make it or necessarily supplant Baer, but there's simply not room to keep everyone even with a few guys not surpassing him. And some will  surpass him.

If we pursue E Kane (as I think we should) next summer (as he brings an element sorely lacking from our top 6 presently), it's even more obvious.

You could pretty easily make a decent top 6, heck even top 9, without them next year and still not have tons of room for kids.

Kane, Gagner, Boeser

Rodin/Goldobin, Horvat, Eriksson

Granlund, Burmistrov?, Virtanen

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett/Molino/Labate?

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Signing ufa 's   Is really a matter of gms prerception of needs though 

surely d is quickest way for a club to improve

They signed three UFA Dmen this past summer - right?   The CAP space you see is also not "right" until final roster is set but where players are in the cycle (e.g. Guddy and Tanev are in bargain phase of contract, certainly Hutton and Stecher as well) makes for pinches and swells in such things.

I don't think it all about what you are paying, it is more about what you are getting.   They went and signed 3 UFA Dmen this summer - how many should they have?   Not sure but 3 seems like a fair number doesn't it?   Also signed a UFA Goalie.

Remember, this was a team that was 2nd last in goal scoring but were only 6 goals against from being in middle third in GA last year so based on just that, I am sure management would believe scoring was a priority but even face of that reality, they still went and signed 3 UFA Dmen and one UFA goalie.   Right?

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg spends 25 mil on D

Nashville spends 24 mil on D

Canucks spend 20 mil on D this year....

Would our club do do better with more contract cap space used on D ?   UFA for D ?

Honestly, it's completely irrelevant. All contracts are not equal. Could we use an upgrade on D? Yes. Does that mean we have to spend more money on D? No.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks would improve faster if our club built from defence outwards 

how many high picks has this team used on d men ? 

Shows in our cap space allocation.  No legit 1-2 d men. 

That's actually what JB has been doing, building from the net out. But with the loss of Tryamkin and the influx of forward prospects since the TDL, things have definitely shifted. Defense is now our # 1 need going forward.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

That's actually what JB has been doing, building from the net out. But with the loss of Tryamkin and the influx of forward prospects since the TDL, things have definitely shifted. Defense is now our # 1 need going forward.

And next draft has some really good d-men prospects.

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Wait, didn't we just ask Garrison and Bieksa to waive NTCs to correct that situation?

Was that a correction of cap?  Or that we had a lack of team speed anymore on our D...

And three or four LHD who had mostly similar 2-way skills; no size or PMD!

It was not that any of the guys, well Ballard depending on which year, were not worth their contract. It was just a unit missing key skills & was not well balanced. 

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg spends 25 mil on D

Nashville spends 24 mil on D

Canucks spend 20 mil on D this year....

Would our club do do better with more contract cap space used on D ?   UFA for D ?

Same answer as several earlier. Yes we should spend more money on our D. I believe we were most expensive in the league in 2011?

But its also opportunity based. Shattenkirk was not going to come here. We were also not in a cycle where that expenditure would have got us where we wanted at this time. And value based. We can say we are willing to pay more on D? But, for example, the $40 million contract Buffalo gave Ehrhoff also would have wrecked us had we matched it.  And good value D, who will elevate your team, are who you pay when you get the opportunity. Problem is; the opportunity is not always there.

Yes we should be on the hunt to add some better D. And we're experimenting with the concept. We drafted Juolevi when good forwards were available. We traded for Guddy. I expect we will draft a D again next year. Benning was clear a top PP QB was one of two items on his bucket list last draft. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They signed three UFA Dmen this past summer - right?   The CAP space you see is also not "right" until final roster is set but where players are in the cycle (e.g. Guddy and Tanev are in bargain phase of contract, certainly Hutton and Stecher as well) makes for pinches and swells in such things.

I don't think it all about what you are paying, it is more about what you are getting.   They went and signed 3 UFA Dmen this summer - how many should they have?   Not sure but 3 seems like a fair number doesn't it?   Also signed a UFA Goalie.

Remember, this was a team that was 2nd last in goal scoring but were only 6 goals against from being in middle third in GA last year so based on just that, I am sure management would believe scoring was a priority but even face of that reality, they still went and signed 3 UFA Dmen and one UFA goalie.   Right?

This is all perfectly logical. (It is!)

Perhaps @kingofsurrey, the OP, is just impatient? We should have ticked every team building box this off season, right?

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They signed three UFA Dmen this past summer - right?  

3  D men signed..   REALLY ?

I only have seen 2 signed and not really guys that i would go after.....

Del Zotto -  yah...  27 yr old  does he still have game....

Wiercloch  -    27 yr old AHL material -  3rd team now in last 3 years...

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, that money went right to Miller and Eriksson.

LOL; you may have a point... :P

Spoiler

As much as I admit your point is wholly valid...   I never wanted to sign Miller. Always wanted to play solid D in front of Lack & Markstrom. 

17 hours ago, Provost said:

They tried to spend more money by trading for Subban.  I think it is no secret that the club would like to add a #1 D.  The problem is there aren't that many of them.

You get into real trouble overpaying for UFA top 4 guys who don't give you that #1.  There really aren't many shortcuts to finding your own guy.

Sometimes you don't overpay if the guy wants to play on your team...see Shattenkirk.

Archived