The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Cap Space ?

kingofsurrey

54 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

3  D men signed..   REALLY ?

I only have seen 2 signed and not really guys that i would go after.....

Del Zotto -  yah...  27 yr old  does he still have game....

Wiercloch  -    27 yr old AHL material -  3rd team now in last 3 years...

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-sign-philip-holm/c-289627122

and

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-sign-jalen-chatfield/c-287675516 

Their cap space ratio this year is relatively meaningless.

They have 14 million expiring in the Sedins.

They have Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson and Stecher to re-sign next summer - in other words, they have lots of flexibility.

Another 10 million expiring two summers from now (Edler, Del Zotto, Dorsett).

The team is in healthy cap shape moving forward - and they also have an influx of young players in their system which gives them greater options in the coming years as more ELCs push their way into the lineup.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

3  D men signed..   REALLY ?

I only have seen 2 signed and not really guys that i would go after.....

Del Zotto -  yah...  27 yr old  does he still have game....

Wiercloch  -    27 yr old AHL material -  3rd team now in last 3 years...

Philip Holm was signed too.   Three UFAs that seem to fit ok into a team on the rebuild by creating some depth/competition.   Apparently Coffey, Orr and Potvin were not available. this year.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Philip Holm was signed too.   Three UFAs that seem to fit ok into a team on the rebuild by creating some depth/competition.   Apparently Coffey, Orr and Potvin were not available. this year.

Just once in my lifetime could we PLEASE get a Dman of the level of Potvin?  I'm not asking for the next Orr or Coffee even.  But why not a Potvin?  We DESERVE it!!!

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Forgot about him.  Do you think he plays canucks this year or Utica  / Sweden  ?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Just once in my lifetime could we PLEASE get a Dman of the level of Potvin?  I'm not asking for the next Orr or Coffee even.  But why not a Potvin?  We DESERVE it!!!

We had Ohlund.  He was my fav.  Fantastic D man. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Been waiting a long time for a true number one.  We had one for a short time in Reinhart, and Jovonoski fit the bill for a couple years, other than that a large group of second tier guys that were servicable.  Don't believe we have one in Juolevi although if he hits his comparables ceiling we could have a Vlasic type in our hands which would be great.  Potvin was a monster, as tough as they come and both defensively and offensively gifted.  That would truly be outstanding, we could build a contender around that.

38 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Forgot about him.  Do you think he plays canucks this year or Utica  / Sweden  ?

Utica - I think he was a depth signing.   I am not as convinced as you that Wiercloch will be that bad - he intrigues me.    However, Michael DZ - not a fan of that signing but happy to be proven wrong.   Only signing Canucks made this summer that I couldn't really get my head around - even Vanek is ok for me in compare.

With ~22M in cap space coming up next season... The Canucks are actually quite handcuffed it seems.

Sedins 14M
Gudbranson 3.5M
Rodin 700k
Vanek 2M
Weircoch 687.5K
Higgins 833K
Hansen 500K

The Canucks then need to resign (and give raises to)

Stetcher - 3.5M+
Baertschi Show me? 3M?
Burmistrov (Depends on how well he plays) 1M+
Gudbranson (Or a replacement) 4M+
Sedins 6M for both

These next few seasons will be interesting to say the least

On 9/12/2017 at 10:17 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Pitsburg spends 25 mil on D

Nashville spends 24 mil on D

Canucks spend 20 mil on D this year....

Would our club do do better with more contract cap space used on D ?   UFA for D ?

What's the age of the D you're comparing? How many entry level or bridge contracts on those two teams. Obviously we have a few young guys that haven't got up to leverage contracts yet and you're comparing our rebuilding team to the two teams that played in the SCF. Do you see that as a reasonable comparison?

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

With ~22M in cap space coming up next season... The Canucks are actually quite handcuffed it seems.

Sedins 14M
Gudbranson 3.5M
Rodin 700k
Vanek 2M
Weircoch 687.5K
Higgins 833K
Hansen 500K

Stetcher - 3.5M+
Baertschi Show me? 3M?
Sedins 6M for both

:lol: unless that's TOTAL? You also seem to be forgetting those guys already have salary. You need to subtract the difference to get the 'increase'.

11 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Sedins 14M
Gudbranson 3.5M
Rodin 700k
Vanek 2M
Weircoch 687.5K
Higgins 833K
Hansen 500K

Stetcher - 3.5M+
Baertschi Show me? 3M?
Sedins 6M for both

I am missing your math.  We probably have around $7 million in space after re-signing guys.  Cap friendly has us with about $30 million in space after this season with 13 players signed.

Most of the players to be signed are RFAs so have limited leverage.

We are in fine form for cap space moving forward right now as we can assume at least a couple of guys on cheap ELCs coming onto the roster each season.

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

:lol: unless that's TOTAL? You also seem to be forgetting those guys already have salary. You need to subtract the difference to get the 'increase'.

Yea, I did, that is total. Baertschi is probably going to go from 1.8~(I think) to around 3+ I'd say.

5 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Yea, I did, that is total. Baertschi is probably going to go from 1.8~(I think) to around 3+ I'd say.

Roughly a $2m+/- raise for Baer, probably about the same for Stecher, $500k- $1m for Guddy. Even if the twins re-sign (which is not a foregone conclusion from either party) at say your $6m that still leaves ~$3m more space than the ~$2m we have this year.

I'm also not convinced we don't move Baer this TDL.

<<<Not worried.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Roughly a $2m+/- raise for Baer, probably about the same for Stecher, $500k- $1m for Guddy. Even if the twins re-sign (which is not a foregone conclusion from either party) at say your $6m that still leaves ~$3m more space than the $2m we have this year.

I'm also not convinced we don't move Baer this TDL.

<<<Not worried.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 9/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, kingofsurrey said:

We had Ohlund.  He was my fav.  Fantastic D man. 

Viking was one of the premier shutdown D in his prime.  Epic showdowns with Iginla (when he was in his prime).

Ohlund was just THAT good defensively.  Imagine how good offensively he might've been with two good eyes (still was able to pop a few goals in a number of seasons).

Archived