The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favourite NHL Team (not named Vancouver Canucks)

Rob_Zepp

The Canucks are my #1, but I follow and root for a good chunk of the rest of the league. But only when they're not playing against the Canucks.

I'll always do this thing where I'll go through the teams playing each night and try to guess who will win and track my record, that's where it all kind of came from.

Ottawa, Winnipeg and Washington would be my runners up though.

Favourite team:

Vancouver

Teams I don't mind having success:

Winnipeg, Nashville, Ottawa, Montreal

Teams I am largely indifferent towards:

Las Vegas, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Carolina, Washington, Columbus

Teams that have won multiple Cups recently and would rather not see win again for a while:

Chicago, Pittsburgh

Teams I don't like:

Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim

Teams that I'd rather die than see win a Cup:

Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Boston

Got to be Nashville for me, hard not to admire the body of work David Poile and Barry Trotz put in for all those years in a market that wasn't exactly perfect for hockey.

— plus, it doesn't hurt that I do like country music.  ::D

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm with @pluralsight on this.  Alf HATES all teams except the Canucks.  I cheer against them all, and hope for other teams' fans to suffer the humiliation of defeat.  If we're not in the playoffs, then I hope the team with the least fans (American south teams) win the Cup.  Then not too many fans get to enjoy victory.  The more fans that suffer with us the better.  

Damn, I thought I was a hater but you take the cake, good sir! 

Chicago. Never mind the rivalry from 2009-2011. Here me out. 

My grandfather recently passed away recently. His favorite team was the Blackhawks. Many of my memories of him involve him talking about the long wait for the Hawks to win the Cup. Then, in 2010, they finally did it after 50 long years. I remember calling my grandfather to congratulate him on their success. I remember hearing the emotion in his voice as he described how proud of he was of his boys.  

I remember having long discussions with him over hockey, it's future, the Canucks or Hawks' future, and other general hockey topics. One Christmas, he gifted me a hockey stick of his. He always said he could have played in the NHL, had he not been so small. Whether or not it was actually true, I believed him. In my eyes, he was a hero. 

Perhaps I like the Hawks because of nostalgia over these memories, perhaps it's over his never ending hope that the Hawks would finally win, despite years of futility. A scenario all to familiar for us Canucks fans. Because of my grandfather, my second favorite team is the Blackhawks. Like my grandfather, they'll always have a place in my heart.

I became a part time Philly fan when the donned the Cooperalls, but I have no real love for them.  One of closest friends has a direct connection to the Wings, through proxy I have grown accustomed to them and don't hate them like most other teams.  Sadly, I like the Leafs logo...but I despise everything else about them.  Overall, I love my Canucks, the other teams are speed-bumps along Stanley Road.

11 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Favourite team:

Vancouver

Teams I don't mind having success:

Winnipeg, Nashville, Ottawa, Montreal

Teams I am largely indifferent towards:

Las Vegas, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Carolina, Washington, Columbus

Teams that have won multiple Cups recently and would rather not see win again for a while:

Chicago, Pittsburgh

Teams I don't like:

Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim

Teams that I'd rather die than see win a Cup:

Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Boston

Great format - I am all out of those rep thingys but would have given you a lot.....guess have to wait a few hours....nice post!

Moved to Edmonton last year and I work at rogers place so I see McDavid live a lot, so it's really hard not to be a fan of him. Plus it is in my best interest financially for the Oilers to go deep into the post season, as it means I get more shifts at work. 

However, I've been a huge fan of Columbus ever since Bobrovsky went on that streak in 2013 to win his first Vezina. Since they are also eastern, I get to cheer for them in every game they play each year except 2 (the 2 games they face Vancouver)

So hard for me to cheer for another team other than the Canucks, but if I have to I go with Penguins because Sid is my favourite player of all time (if he gets traded or retires I won't cheer for Pitts anymore), and the Carolina Hurricanes because of Eric Staal and his legacy there plus I got a Canes hoodie when I was like 5 (don't ask why lol) so that little attachment too. But nothing comes close to the Canucks even out of every other sport I watch.

As a big WHL fan it's hard to pick a favourite after cheering for so many young guys. I was a fan of so many individuals like Hull, Lindros, Roberts, Probert, Gretz that I am used to cheering for many teams and then dropping them as players moved. Friends in the NHL moved and so did my allegiance to their clubs.

Today, after my local interest in the Canucks, I like the Hurricanes, Florida, Anaheim and then the Oliers and Leafs. I hated the Leafs and Oilers but love their style and kids. How can you not cheer for kids like that? 

Archived