The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Equifax #*%^ up

DoughtysCheck

if you are a US citizen, please read. 

As the number of complaints continue to rise following credit reporting agency Equifax’s massive hack last week, the scale and scope of the breach is troubling cybersecurity experts who warn nearly every adult in the United States could have been affected.

“You’re talking about a good portion of U.S. adults,” Hiep Dang, director of Product Management at Cylance and former leader of McAfee’s threat team, told FOX Business. “Conservatively, maybe 75% [of us were affected], aggressively, probably all of us.”

What makes this hack particularly damaging is that thieves don’t just have one isolated piece of an individual’s personal information, they have an entire set of data points correlated to the individual, Dang pointed out.

Unfortunately, that means victims are at risk of a lot of criminal activity.

From getting a loan, to opening a bank account, “[the hackers] could potentially do anything with this information,” Dang said.

Summary: 

-equifax got hacked 6 weeks ago but only reported it now

-social security number, addresses, past addresses, driver license, credit card information, credit history has been compromised

-pretty much identity theft has occurred. people can open credits in your name, take out loans, then max out the credit and you will be screwed 

-148 million americans are affected, (57% of the population above 18)

-positive: with such a saturation of information, you may not get f*cked up

-get a credit report right now (1 free a year) 

-monitor your credit

-initiate a credit freeze

-to top it off, equinox is offering a service to see if you have been hacked and a 1 year protection service. (p.s. you have to pay) and if you dont tell them to cancel the following year, its automatically charged

-oh yea, the top ranking officials  of the company sold their shares before the news went public

• -SN- changed the title to Equifax #*%^ up
36 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Given that the hackers have a lot info on almost every US citizen, I'd assume they'll take the big fish first. 

-Unless it was your US gov... They'll definitely screw the people.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US gov had their hand in this... considering the people of US are literally treated like cattle and sheep on daily basis. 

I don't mind, nor am I ashamed, that I've taken a wide berth around the IT world, right up to middle age. If that ever bites me on the arse - so be it!

They've created a false economy..financed by LSD credit. Now they'll likely blow the whole shebang up, because their housa' cards was falling flat anyhow.

Live simple kids. Don't buy much..find pleasure in everyday things.

But GoodLord! The States is spirallin' down the cr*pper!!

25 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't mind, nor am I ashamed, that I've taken a wide berth around the IT world, right up to middle age. If that ever bites me on the arse - so be it!

They've created a false economy..financed by LSD credit. Now they'll likely blow the whole shebang up, because their housa' cards was falling flat anyhow.

Live simple kids. Don't buy much..find pleasure in everyday things.

But GoodLord! The States is spirallin' down the cr*pper!!

I agree.. 

The US is the only country in the world that's literally run like a corporation or factory.

I mean President Trump? more like CEO Trump..

Just look at their worker rights and compare it with the system in Canada.

26 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

I agree.. 

The US is the only country in the world that's literally run like a corporation or factory.

I mean President Trump? more like CEO Trump..

Just look at their worker rights and compare it with the system in Canada.

I WISH a prime George Carlin could've observed this past 5~10 yrs. If ever there's a social-analysis/commentary we're all dyin for.

8 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

if you are a US citizen, please read. 

As the number of complaints continue to rise following credit reporting agency Equifax’s massive hack last week, the scale and scope of the breach is troubling cybersecurity experts who warn nearly every adult in the United States could have been affected.

“You’re talking about a good portion of U.S. adults,” Hiep Dang, director of Product Management at Cylance and former leader of McAfee’s threat team, told FOX Business. “Conservatively, maybe 75% [of us were affected], aggressively, probably all of us.”

What makes this hack particularly damaging is that thieves don’t just have one isolated piece of an individual’s personal information, they have an entire set of data points correlated to the individual, Dang pointed out.

Unfortunately, that means victims are at risk of a lot of criminal activity.

From getting a loan, to opening a bank account, “[the hackers] could potentially do anything with this information,” Dang said.

Summary: 

-equifax got hacked 6 weeks ago but only reported it now

-social security number, addresses, past addresses, driver license, credit card information, credit history has been compromised

-pretty much identity theft has occurred. people can open credits in your name, take out loans, then max out the credit and you will be screwed 

-148 million americans are affected, (57% of the population above 18)

-positive: with such a saturation of information, you may not get f*cked up

-get a credit report right now (1 free a year) 

-monitor your credit

-initiate a credit freeze

-to top it off, equinox is offering a service to see if you have been hacked and a 1 year protection service. (p.s. you have to pay) and if you dont tell them to cancel the following year, its automatically charged

-oh yea, the top ranking officials  of the company sold their shares before the news went public

Wow.   I wonder if any of those US "victims" will be smart enough to go use their cards to the max, claim they were compromised and put the bill to Equifax?    

Equifax hack fallout limited for Canadians

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstori ... smsnnews11

TORONTO - Equifax Canada's customer service agents are telling callers that only Canadians who have had dealings in the United States are likely to be affected by the massive hack announced last week.

The credit monitoring company's call centre staff say that Canadians who have Equifax accounts in the U.S. could be at risk of having their data compromised, such as those who have lived, worked or applied for credit south of the border.

The Canadian Press made multiple calls as consumers to Equifax Canada's customer service line and were told that consumers whose credit files were not checked outside of Canada are unlikely to be part of any breach.

Equifax Canada did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Equifax said last Thursday a security breach occurred over the summer that compromised the private information of up to 143 million Americans, along with an undisclosed number of Canadians. But the company has been tight-lipped about further details, including how many Canadians may have been exposed.

Equifax Canada's website says that "only a limited number of Canadians may have been affected" and "the breach is contained."
"We are working night and day to assess what happened," the credit monitoring company says on its Canadian website.

Canadian and American credit files must be kept separate due to differences in the various laws within the U.S. and Canada, according to the Equifax Canada website.
However, American companies can pull Canadians' files in Canada with consumers' permission, according to credit risk expert Mike Morley.

"Let's say you're a Canadian applying for a mortgage in the U.S. for your cottage... They will make a decision based on your Canadian credit information," Morley said.
That would generate a U.S. credit file for the consumer, he said.

Morley added that Canadians who live and work south of the border would have their credit history in Canada in various situations, including when applying for a credit card, or even by a potential employer or landlord.

11 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Thanks for posting.  Known for a few days, and we have pay for a protection service, so we should be ok, but you never know.

This last statement is what's really interesting for me now.  If true, they better be nailed for insider trading.  That's utter BS.

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Thanks for posting.  Known for a few days, and we have pay for a protection service, so we should be ok, but you never know.

This last statement is what's really interesting for me now.  If true, they better be nailed for insider trading.  That's utter BS.

I believe they are currently under investigation by the SEC.  

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Murica!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...  panem et circenses

Keep a populace well fed and entertained and you can pretty much do what you want to them over time.  Some day things will come to a head though and people will be pushed just one step too far.  Hopefully I'm alive to see it happen and the change that it will bring. 

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...  panem et circenses

Keep a populace well fed and entertained and you can pretty much do what you want to them over time.  Some day things will come to a head though and people will be pushed just one step too far.  Hopefully I'm alive to see it happen and the change that it will bring. 

That could realistically equate to civil war. Might not be wishing to be around for that.

Archived