The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sekeres throws BS shade at Goldy

Bur14Kes17

Just now, Lancaster said:

Sorry, they're not under contract.  The team just happens to own their rights.  There's no obligation for them to stay in the NHL if they don't wish to.  

I guess using your definition.... players like Oscar Moller, Michael Repik, and Bill Sweatt bolted to Europe.  I mean... they were RFA when they signed in Europe.  

those guys bolted cause they couldnt get NHL deals....

Tryamkin bolted cause he didnt like Canada. 

Russia is a mess. KHL is a mess. Countries like Sweden and Finland are first world. You can trust their legal systems and they aren't riddled with corruption and economic instability. You can trust their teams to pay players on time and to honor transfer agreements with the NHL. Can't say the same about Russia (who doesn't currently have a transfer agreement in place). I don't resent Russia or the KHL. They are trying to do what is best for them. But no, there is not the same stigma (as mentioned) associated with the Finnish and Swedish (and other Euro) leagues as there is with the KHL. 

MG had a no Russian policy. He did not draft one Russian in his time here. What does that tell you? Do you think it was sheer conicidence? There is a greater risk with drafting Russians. That is a fact. Some teams seem better at developing and retaining their Russian players, but if you are denying that other GMs are hesitant on the issue, I don't know what to tell you.

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Bolt means they're under NHL contract when they left.  

How many Russian players in recent years has done that?  

An interchangeable word might have kept the initial point intact? I will concede that, but are we then just splitting hairs here?

(In my experience, this exactly what it's like to be a Rightwinger in and argument with a modern leftwinger:

You make a claim. I ask you to check it against fact. You alter the point, but maintain the same conviction. Again, I say prove your acertions with facts. You then tell me to show facts. I'm left confused how to proceed in a non-issue, that wasn't mine in the first place) 

The burden remains on you to back up your claims in this instance, does it not?

You are free to disprove the existing stigma surrounding Russian players, or not. Your claims. I was merely hoping to suggest you come armed with facts when attempting to persuade us on a stigma, so apt, that it's boring. I think I just wasted both of our times though. 

13 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Why not ask "Is KHL an option for Goldobin if he does not make the Canucks' roster?". Instead of loaded language like "bolt". Saying he might "bolt" is deliberately negative and inflamitory, these are professional communicators.

Well put, but they are clickbaiting. They almost have to for a job.

Look at the results. It worked.

I feel dirty and am slinking out of here as a sucker. 

3 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

those guys bolted cause they couldnt get NHL deals....

Tryamkin bolted cause he didnt like Canada. 

Russia is a mess. KHL is a mess. Countries like Sweden and Finland are first world. You can trust their legal systems and they aren't riddled with corruption and economic instability. You can trust their teams to pay players on time and to honor transfer agreements with the NHL. Can't say the same about Russia (who doesn't currently have a transfer agreement in place). I don't resent Russia or the KHL. They are trying to do what is best for them. But no, there is not the same stigma (as mentioned) associated with the Finnish and Swedish (and other Euro) leagues as there is with the KHL. 

MG had a no Russian policy. He did not draft one Russian in his time here. What does that tell you? Do you think it was sheer conicidence? There is a greater risk with drafting Russians. That is a fact. Some teams seem better at developing and retaining their Russian players, but if you are denying that other GMs are hesitant on the issue, I don't know what to tell you.

They probably could have gotten 2-way deals, but we'll never know.

I'm not saying the KHL is perfect.... far from it actually.  But it's because the money is usually a bit more then other Euro leagues... and for Russian players, it's home.... thus it's somewhat of a competitor to the NHL for Russian players.  

There are countless players from Europe who did a mini-tour in the NHL, but decided to play back at Europe for whatever reason and nothing more is ever mentioned.  Russian player does the same and it's "bolting" and the whole "Russian factor".  

There's no problem with "bolting" when it comes to the Capitals, Penguins, Tampa, etc.  Just mostly with Vancouver.  Bure wanting to leave town, Krutov's time was a disaster, Tryamkin wanting to go home..... the people of Vancouver are like traumatized or something. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

An interchangeable word might have kept the initial point intact? I will concede that, but are we then just splitting hairs here?

(In my experience, this exactly what it's like to be a Rightwinger in and argument with a modern leftwinger:

You make a claim. I ask you to check it against fact. You alter the point, but maintain the same conviction. Again, I say prove your acertions with facts. You then tell me to show facts. I'm left confused how to proceed in a non-issue, that wasn't mine in the first place) 

The burden remains on you to back up your claims in this instance, does it not?

You are free to disprove the existing stigma surrounding Russian players, or not. Your claims. I was merely hoping to suggest you come armed with facts when attempting to persuade us on a stigma, so apt, that it's boring. I think I just wasted both of our times though. 

A broadcaster pulls the "Russian bolting" card... which I claim is unwarranted.... then I gotta defend why it's not warranted?  

What's next... I gotta prove that leprechauns doesn't exist either?  

In any case, what is your definition of "bolting"?  Contract status, rights, salary expectations, etc.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

A broadcaster pulls the "Russian bolting" card... which I claim is unwarranted.... then I gotta defend why it's not warranted?  

In any case, what is your definition of "bolting"?  Contract status, rights, salary expectations, etc.  

Let's both dump this thread and agree that Goldy is not "bolting".

I don't want these clowns to get any recognition. I recommend we all let this thread and the writer fade into oblivion. 

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I think most of the posters here agree that Sekeres was unwarranted in his claim.

To me, bolting means to leave quickly, or unexpectedly. 

Tryamkin abruptly left Vancouver. As did Nichushkin with Dallas. The guys you mentioned (Moller, Repik, Sweatt) did not shock the league when they chose to leave. They did not cripple their teams by losing a key asset. Nichushkin was drafted 10th overall. He looked like he would be a good NHL player. He left cause of the Russian factor. Again, I hold no ill will to him or Tryamkin, but to claim that this factor doesn't exist is simply wrong.

I think there is no merit to Goldy wanting out. He stuck it out in the AHL before and he looked good in Vancouver. He reported to Utica (Tryamkin had clause in his contract saying that he didn't have to report---and he refused to do so early in the season when JB insisted he do a brief conditioning stint) and produced at a prolific pace in his few games there.

I am sick and tired of the TSN hacks and their shoddy journalism. I just took exception to some of your points about Russia being no different to Sweden and Finland with respect to hockey leagues, and the risks of Euro hockey players 'bolting' to them.

This is the same garbage brand of 'reporting' that had half the fan base believing Gudbranson wanted $5m+ or whatever it was last year. All refuted by him, his manager, his current and his former GM.

Yet that sentiment is still out there thanks to trash reporting just like this.

It does nothing to serve the fan base or the team and I'll be happy the quicker they choke on their own negative bile and we're rid of their self serving, click-baiting arses.

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This is the same garbage brand of 'reporting' that had half the fan base believing Gudbranson wanted $5m+ or whatever it was last year. All refuted by him, his manager, his current and his former GM.

Yet that sentiment is still out there thanks to trash reporting just like this.

It does nothing to serve the fan base or the team and I'll be happy the quicker they choke on their own negative bile and we're rid of their self serving, click-baiting arses.

And that's the problem right there.  Sure -- fair comment, opinion, whatever, but for the few nellies who get off on negativity and gossip there are far more of us who are fans and want to enjoy and engage in real hockey talk.

Sekeres being Sekeres. When he isn't talking over top of and interrupting Price, he's trying to drum up controversy.  He's almost as bad as Pratt and that's saying something cuz Pratt is horrendous.  The only show I listen to now is Halford and Brough in the 9-12 slot. Love those two. By far the best and refreshing combo on the Team now. 

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering the Tryamkin leaving, and other Russian players going home, I think it's fair to question whether Goldobin might go home too.

Russians do tend to be mercurial whinny players if they perceive all is not going their way.  Not all of course but enough to taint their fellow countrymen. Mother Russia will treat me better.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Russians do tend to be mercurial whinny players if they perceive all is not going their way.  Not all of course but enough to taint their fellow countrymen. Mother Russia will treat me better.

And yet there were the first guys to come here and play, who were (for the most part) exceptional players and teammates.  It's kind of obvious them have a professional league back home affects their attitudes here - especially if they are not top players.  

13 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

it's pretty easy to understand wanting to play in your home country if it comes down to being sent to the minors though.  Canadians would do the same thing if the skate were on the other foot.  I think it's a little different for young guys, like Goldy and Try, because they are younbg and should be able to see the bigger picture.  try obviously didn't, let's hope Goldy does.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And yet there were the first guys to come here and play, who were (for the most part) exceptional players and teammates.  It's kind of obvious them have a professional league back home affects their attitudes here - especially if they are not top players.  

I hear ya but face it they came for the bucks...rubles just didn't cut it.  Yes for the past few years the KHL has been an option for them so naturally it factors into the decision making process.  Remember the Yashin fiasco in Ottawa huge donation to a museum I think it was, but mom and pop have to be on the payroll, leaves Ottawa and I don't believe he ever fully lived up to his promise. I'm just speaking of Yashin not all Ruskies.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's pretty easy to understand wanting to play in your home country if it comes down to being sent to the minors though.  Canadians would do the same thing if the skate were on the other foot.  I think it's a little different for young guys, like Goldy and Try, because they are younbg and should be able to see the bigger picture.  try obviously didn't, let's hope Goldy does.

Again I see your point also but face it lots of teams have been played by Russians far more than the Finns or Swedes.

28 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you implying that the media should serve the fan base and/or team? 

They should report factually, balanced, intelligently and with proper (any) research on the team to the fan base, which serves both. 

Tabloid style, cooked up click baiting and baseless rumor spreading serves nobody but themselves and does a massive disservice to the fans, and in turn, the team. 

Yeah I am no fan of suckeres... 'a face for radio and voice for print...2016 hurvner' .. however this is really a non event.. hes asking a question and not declaring anything. Hes not a reporter hes basically a pundit so this is what they do... so everyone just needs to calmmmmm down

Side note. Been on these forums for 14 years and have 65 posts. Not a very good ratio here.....

Archived