The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin Releases Statement Regarding Olympics

Cramarossa

Below is a personal message written by Alex Ovechkin that he asked the Washington Capitals to release on his behalf:

"I wanted to make this statement so that my words are clear and nobody misunderstands what I am saying. The Olympics are in my blood and everybody knows how much I love my country. Ever since I was a kid and all the time I have played in the NHL, NHL players have played in the Olympic Games. We never have to make choice between our team and our country my whole career. I love the Capitals and my teammates here as much as I love my country and I know all the other NHL players feel the same for their teams. We should not have to be in position to make this choice.

My mom was a two-time Olympic champion and when I start to play hockey I dream that if I have chance to play for my country I will do it every time they ask me. Ever since I was teenager I have played for Junior Russia National team whenever they ask me to. Ever since I was good enough to play on Men's National Team, whenever they ask me I play. When they ask me to be part of Olympics Closing Ceremony in Vancouver before Sochi get the Olympic Games I said ok let's do it. When they ask me to be Ambassador for Sochi Olympic Games I did it. When they ask me to go to Greece and be first Russian to carry Olympic flame on way to Sochi I do it. When they ask me to play in World Cup I do it. I am proud that we win on Junior team and for the National team in World Championships but we do not win the most important thing yet. Olympic Gold Medal.

I see the news this week and I am very disappointed that IOC, IIHF and NHL put me and all NHL players in this position when some of the best players in world do not have chance to play in the Olympic Games. This is not just about me but all the NHL players who want to play and have a chance to win Gold for their country. Our countries are now not allowed to ask us to play in the Olympics. Me, my teammates and all players who want to go all lose. So do all the fans of hockey with this decision that we are not allowed to be invited. NHL players in the Olympics is good for hockey and good for Olympics. It sucks that will we not be there to play!!

I said every time I was asked since last Olympics that nobody is going to tell me I can't play because my country was going to be allowed to ask me. Now the IIHF and NHL say my country is not allowed to ask anybody in the NHL to play and there is nothing to talk about anymore. I talk to Ted about this last year and he support me and have my back and understand what I want to do if I was allowed to be asked to go. Me and my family thank him for his support.

There is nothing like Olympic Games. It is still my dream to win an Olympic Gold medal for my country. I hope things will change and all of us will have a chance to go again in 2022. What's most important to remember is kids have lots of dreams. My focus as it always is this time of year is on my other dream as a kid, to try to win the Stanley Cup. I am excited training camp has started in Washington and the time for talking is done. We just have to go out and do it and I will try my hardest to help my teammates win like I do every year since I came to the NHL."

https://www.nhl.com/app/news/alex-ovechkin-releases-statement-regarding-olympics/c-291069080

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What do y'all think? When I first saw this I wondered if it was his doing or a PR move after getting pressure from the league. It seems sincere, but I wonder how the league/IOC/IHF can prevent countries from inviting certain players? Would those countries' teams be banned?

21 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

It seems sincere, but I wonder how the league/IOC/IHF can prevent countries from inviting certain players? Would those countries' teams be banned?

It's the IOC's tournament.  They get to make all the rules.  Besides, the NHL has said that it will not be participating so anyone that leaves their NHL team in order to participate would be violating their contract.  The IIHF has also stated that nobody with an NHL contract will be allowed to play.  No individual country's hockey brass will go against the IOC & IIHF.

Tretiak (legendary goalie and head of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation) was quoted yesterday saying "What is there for Ovechkin to do now? Nothing. Play for Washington."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/09/13/russian-hockey-chief-says-ovechkin-must-accept-he-cant-play-at-olympics.html

Did Ovi actually think those selfish jerks running the NHL weren't going to shut down any and all avenues for players to go?

Sure NHL,  go to China with your pathetic pre-season games while the entire world wonders where you are in February.

Moves like not going to Korea are why the NHL is a Mickey Mouse organization when it comes to global sports entertainment imo. 

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It's the IOC's tournament.  They get to make all the rules.  Besides, the NHL has said that it will not be participating so anyone that leaves their NHL team in order to participate would be violating their contract.  The IIHF has also stated that nobody with an NHL contract will be allowed to play.  No individual country's hockey brass will go against the IOC & IIHF.

Tretiak (legendary goalie and head of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation) was quoted yesterday saying "What is there for Ovechkin to do now? Nothing. Play for Washington."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/09/13/russian-hockey-chief-says-ovechkin-must-accept-he-cant-play-at-olympics.html

Basically this. Even if Ovi shows up, and even if Russia says "ok, let's try to sneak you in" the IOC will take some kind of action like assigning Russia a loss for games Ovi is there or something along those lines.

----------------------------------------------

Excerpt from the NHL's official statement:

The NHL conducted polls in both Canada and the United States to determine if fans were in favor of the League taking a break in February to allow players to compete in the Olympics. In the United States, 73 percent said they were not in favor. In Canada, it was 53 percent against the break.

"I think the overwhelming sentiment of the teams is that it's very disruptive on the season and there is somewhere between fatigue and negativity on the subject," Commissioner Bettman said

I call bull$&!#. They polled owners. Ovechkin has a right to be pissed, or sad, or both. I doubt he's the only player who feels that way, and I know I wasn't contacted for any poll regarding NHL players attending the Olympics. 

52 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Below is a personal message written by Alex Ovechkin that he asked the Washington Capitals to release on his behalf:

"I wanted to make this statement so that my words are clear and nobody misunderstands what I am saying. The Olympics are in my blood and everybody knows how much I love my country. Ever since I was a kid and all the time I have played in the NHL, NHL players have played in the Olympic Games. We never have to make choice between our team and our country my whole career. I love the Capitals and my teammates here as much as I love my country and I know all the other NHL players feel the same for their teams. We should not have to be in position to make this choice.

My mom was a two-time Olympic champion and when I start to play hockey I dream that if I have chance to play for my country I will do it every time they ask me. Ever since I was teenager I have played for Junior Russia National team whenever they ask me to. Ever since I was good enough to play on Men's National Team, whenever they ask me I play. When they ask me to be part of Olympics Closing Ceremony in Vancouver before Sochi get the Olympic Games I said ok let's do it. When they ask me to be Ambassador for Sochi Olympic Games I did it. When they ask me to go to Greece and be first Russian to carry Olympic flame on way to Sochi I do it. When they ask me to play in World Cup I do it. I am proud that we win on Junior team and for the National team in World Championships but we do not win the most important thing yet. Olympic Gold Medal.

I see the news this week and I am very disappointed that IOC, IIHF and NHL put me and all NHL players in this position when some of the best players in world do not have chance to play in the Olympic Games. This is not just about me but all the NHL players who want to play and have a chance to win Gold for their country. Our countries are now not allowed to ask us to play in the Olympics. Me, my teammates and all players who want to go all lose. So do all the fans of hockey with this decision that we are not allowed to be invited. NHL players in the Olympics is good for hockey and good for Olympics. It sucks that will we not be there to play!!

I said every time I was asked since last Olympics that nobody is going to tell me I can't play because my country was going to be allowed to ask me. Now the IIHF and NHL say my country is not allowed to ask anybody in the NHL to play and there is nothing to talk about anymore. I talk to Ted about this last year and he support me and have my back and understand what I want to do if I was allowed to be asked to go. Me and my family thank him for his support.

There is nothing like Olympic Games. It is still my dream to win an Olympic Gold medal for my country. I hope things will change and all of us will have a chance to go again in 2022. What's most important to remember is kids have lots of dreams. My focus as it always is this time of year is on my other dream as a kid, to try to win the Stanley Cup. I am excited training camp has started in Washington and the time for talking is done. We just have to go out and do it and I will try my hardest to help my teammates win like I do every year since I came to the NHL."

https://www.nhl.com/app/news/alex-ovechkin-releases-statement-regarding-olympics/c-291069080

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What do y'all think? When I first saw this I wondered if it was his doing or a PR move after getting pressure from the league. It seems sincere, but I wonder how the league/IOC/IHF can prevent countries from inviting certain players? Would those countries' teams be banned?

Why would it be a PR move?  Never met him, but he is one of the standout characters in the league or all sports for that matter.   Great player and Great guy.  

the NHL poll is BS - what was the sample size?    There is a massive audience that doesn't follow NHL but watches the Olympic hockey - who is Bettman trying to kid.  Is it this audience who is you untapped so the NHL is out to lunch on this everyone knows it .  Of course it is all about MONEY.

Not to mention everyone knows that some of the crappiest games to watch during the NHL season is Jan and Feb - the middle of the season.

I feel for him and the other guys, and all of us, that really have an interest in this. The NHL owners (most of them) and Bettman simply take us all for granted. Until fans do something like boycott a specific game or don't buy a sweater one year they'll keep taking us for granted imo. 

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

Why would it be a PR move?  Never met him, but he is one of the standout characters in the league or all sports for that matter.   Great player and Great guy.  

PR move as in him getting strong armed by the league considering how vocal he was previously. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel for him and the other guys, and all of us, that really have an interest in this. The NHL owners (most of them) and Bettman simply take us all for granted. Until fans do something like boycott a specific game or don't buy a sweater one year they'll keep taking us for granted imo. 

Well, obviously the NHL is learning how to take advantage of fans like the NFL. I don't blame them for trying to make money, it's big business after all, but they are forgetting who has power of numbers. Attendance is down in the NFL after a few big FU's to the fans from owners in 3 cities this past offseason. NHL players not playing in the Olympics won't be enough to turn fans away in droves, but fans like myself don't forget things either. The league pissed me off after the last lockout, and we all know NHL players in South Korea would once again have been one of the best things about the games. In my books that's a couple of big strikes, and I haven't attended a game since 2011.

12 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Maaaaybeeee :rolleyes: ... But in all honesty, he is already one of the best. Only thing he has left to prove is win a cup. Sure WSH has been nice to him, but I think hes fed up with Crosby and the Pens lol, the NHL not allowing people to go the olympics. 

Ovechkin has been great for the NHL; he has given Crosby someone to be better than. ;) I respect how Leonsis handled it toward Ovechkin, but I do wonder what Leonsis' said to Bettman about it.

27 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Well, obviously the NHL is learning how to take advantage of fans like the NFL. I don't blame them for trying to make money, it's big business after all, but they are forgetting who has power of numbers. Attendance is down in the NFL after a few big FU's to the fans from owners in 3 cities this past offseason. NHL players not playing in the Olympics won't be enough to turn fans away in droves, but fans like myself don't forget things either. The league pissed me off after the last lockout, and we all know NHL players in South Korea would once again have been one of the best things about the games. In my books that's a couple of big strikes, and I haven't attended a game since 2011.

Bettman and the owners underestimate the impact that this decision to skip 2018 olympics will have on the growth of the game. The reason why World cup of soccer is so highly regarded is because of the tradition: the one place where the best in the world play for their country for that golden cup. Winning the World cup means a lot to the players and to the fans, who understand how hard these players work to win it all.  By not going to the Olympics, NHL and the players are saying to the sports fans that the gold medal of hockey in Olympics doesn't really mean that much. That tradition that has been built since 1998 Nagano is now broken.  The sports fans around the world surely watched the gold medal games, the excitement of the gold medal game in 2010, the total dominance by Canada in 2014. And they for sure could feel that it means a lot to these players. In 2018 however, these players won't be there. 

Bettman thinks that NHL can just show up in 2022 in Beijing and be able to grow the game but growing the game globally is not going to be achieved by one time gimmick. The sports fans will feel the subpart level of performance in 2018 and that will hurt the NHL's chance to become globally recognized sports.

Archived