The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin Releases Statement Regarding Olympics

Cramarossa

Crappy lose lose situation. I get why teams and the league dont want to risk injuries to star players, at the end of the day, this is a business, and the caps losing Ovi to injury for the season or even longer would cost them millions and millions of dollars and potentially a cup. But at  the same time, these kids dream of playing for their country, and hockey in general is a very patriotic sport. 

At the end of the day, I would take the risk and let them play in the Olympics, but I'm also not the one with millions on the line. 

4 hours ago, samurai said:

the NHL poll is BS - what was the sample size?    There is a massive audience that doesn't follow NHL but watches the Olympic hockey - who is Bettman trying to kid.  Is it this audience who is you untapped so the NHL is out to lunch on this everyone knows it .  Of course it is all about MONEY.

Not to mention everyone knows that some of the crappiest games to watch during the NHL season is Jan and Feb - the middle of the season.

Its not just about the sample size, but also abput who was polled and the location the polls were taken.

If the NHL polled college and amatuer players, then I'm sure they were against professional participation considering it would give them a shot at the their own participation.   Or the NHL could take a poll in New York....i'm sure after what happened to Tavares, those fans would be against professional participation as well.  Or the NHL could poll the people that are employed by the arenas the NHL plays in, I'm sure that they dont want to go 2-3 weeks without pay.

You can make any poll say whatever you need it to say as long as you're asking the right people.

4 hours ago, khay said:

Bettman and the owners underestimate the impact that this decision to skip 2018 olympics will have on the growth of the game. The reason why World cup of soccer is so highly regarded is because of the tradition: the one place where the best in the world play for their country for that golden cup. Winning the World cup means a lot to the players and to the fans, who understand how hard these players work to win it all.  By not going to the Olympics, NHL and the players are saying to the sports fans that the gold medal of hockey in Olympics doesn't really mean that much. That tradition that has been built since 1998 Nagano is now broken.  The sports fans around the world surely watched the gold medal games, the excitement of the gold medal game in 2010, the total dominance by Canada in 2014. And they for sure could feel that it means a lot to these players. In 2018 however, these players won't be there. 

Bettman thinks that NHL can just show up in 2022 in Beijing and be able to grow the game but growing the game globally is not going to be achieved by one time gimmick. The sports fans will feel the subpart level of performance in 2018 and that will hurt the NHL's chance to become globally recognized sports.

Sure there is a tradition of sending professionals since '98 in Nagano, but there was also a tradition of not sending professionals before Nagano.  Its hard to say its okay to break one tradition but not okay to break another tradition. 

And I'm sure the sports fans around the world watched the gold medal games before the professionals started going.  And not everyone found enjoyment out of the 2010 golden goal or Canadian domination of 2014.  I'm sure countries like Norway dont get all that excited about watching their team get humiliated on the ice just because it was Canadian professionals doing it.

If it were me, I'd have announced my immediate retirement from the NHL the same day the league announced it wasn't going to the Olympics. Two-year deal in the KHL, play in the Olympics, then come back to Washington.

I feel for Ovie, but it he were truly committed to the idea, he didn't play his hand very well.

2 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm sure countries like Norway dont get all that excited about watching their team get humiliated on the ice just because it was Canadian professionals doing it.

So? The Olympics are about the best of the best. There's no place for sympathy or lame attempts at achieving parity. 

7 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Fans should unite and not watch any NHL games while the Olympics are running.

Way ahead of you.  I watched maybe 6 canuck games in its entirety last year, and I can't even remember the last time I purchased a ticket.  My interest in this sport league is dwindling, aside from the odd Edmonton/TB/Pitts games the rest is just neutral zone trapping all game.  The product on the ice is not entertaining to me anymore.  When players cant even crack 100 points or 50 goals then it more resembles soccer on ice.  Bettman has been a cancer to this game for far too long.  I don't care how much money he makes for his owners(last in N. American Big Four Sports), it's about the good of the sport not the ego of some yankee lawyer.

3 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

If it were me, I'd have announced my immediate retirement from the NHL the same day the league announced it wasn't going to the Olympics. Two-year deal in the KHL, play in the Olympics, then come back to Washington.

I feel for Ovie, but it he were truly committed to the idea, he didn't play his hand very well.

I wonder if Russian players were time their contracts around olympic years to take a year off

58 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

So? The Olympics are about the best of the best. There's no place for sympathy or lame attempts at achieving parity. 

I never said it shouldn't be about the best of the best.

What i was implying is that not all hockey fans found crosby's golden goal or 2014 azz whoopings exciting and enjoyable....just the Canadian fans did.

24 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

I never said it shouldn't be about the best of the best.

What i was implying is that not all hockey fans found crosby's golden goal or 2014 azz whoopings exciting and enjoyable....just the Canadian fans did.

That's fair, I just don't have any sympathy for it. I don't see the merit to watering down the competition to make a more level playing field.

41 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That's fair, I just don't have any sympathy for it. I don't see the merit to watering down the competition to make a more level playing field.

I dont disagree, and i dont necessarily have sympathy for it....but i can understand if the less talented countries dont find the blowouts entertaining 

11 hours ago, PlanB said:

Did Ovi actually think those selfish jerks running the NHL weren't going to shut down any and all avenues for players to go?

Sure NHL,  go to China with your pathetic pre-season games while the entire world wonders where you are in February.

Moves like not going to Korea are why the NHL is a Mickey Mouse organization when it comes to global sports entertainment imo. 

U said, U own it, and I thank you for saying it . . .   I wonder how much energy it will take out of the Kings and the Canucks by going for two pre-season games to China.    What a joke the NHL is and BETT your ASS, is top of the joke list.  Need I explain who he is. . .    Olympics won't be the same and I am sure the rest of the World will be totally ticked.

12 hours ago, PlanB said:

Did Ovi actually think those selfish jerks running the NHL weren't going to shut down any and all avenues for players to go?

Sure NHL,  go to China with your pathetic pre-season games while the entire world wonders where you are in February.

Moves like not going to Korea are why the NHL is a Mickey Mouse organization when it comes to global sports entertainment imo. 

It's a god damn joke... +1 

Promote the game in freakin china in September but go MIA during the Olympics in February... it's a god damn joke.

Olympics was never intended for professional athletes to compete; its intention was always for amateur athletes to represent their country on the international stage. The rise of professional athletes being allowed to participate in the Olympic games was a matter of corporate and capitalist greed.

I don't watch the Olympics for professionals to play, I watch them to see the regular people of many different countries in sport compete. The greatness of a nation in sport is not due to the 1% who occupy the elite professional ranks, but the 99% of a countries citizens who choose to compete in sport. A collective is always stronger than an exclusive subset, so hopefully this is just the first step in truly returning the Olympics to the amateurs.

I'm not so naive to think that this will also cause corporate sponsorship to wane, but maybe it will decrease just a little bit.

19 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sometimes even regular folks can't get time off work to go do things too. 

Who cares about regular folks dreams...we should only care about fulfilling millionaires dreams...

.....even if its for playing in the Olympics for 4th time.  Its a travesty!

(Sarcasm)

11 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Who cares about regular folks dreams...we should only care about fulfilling millionaires dreams...

.....even if its for playing in the Olympics for 4th time.  Its a travesty!

(Sarcasm)

Zackery

as much as I loved the stacked Olympic teams, it became a bit of a empathy pitch to force employers to allow their employees to go get injured or what have you at the owners expense. 

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Olympics was never intended for professional athletes to compete; its intention was always for amateur athletes to represent their country on the international stage. The rise of professional athletes being allowed to participate in the Olympic games was a matter of corporate and capitalist greed.

I don't watch the Olympics for professionals to play, I watch them to see the regular people of many different countries in sport compete. The greatness of a nation in sport is not due to the 1% who occupy the elite professional ranks, but the 99% of a countries citizens who choose to compete in sport. A collective is always stronger than an exclusive subset, so hopefully this is just the first step in truly returning the Olympics to the amateurs.

I'm not so naive to think that this will also cause corporate sponsorship to wane, but maybe it will decrease just a little bit.

So.... you haven't watched the Olympics in years right?

Archived