The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL.com article about Dorsett

Rubik

https://www.nhl.com/news/canucks-forward-dorsett-returns-to-ice-following-neck-surgery/c-291068056?tid=277548856

Dorsett turns 'poor me' into comeback with Canucks

Forward back on ice nine months after neck fusion surgery

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Correspondent

VANCOUVER -- Ask Derek Dorsett about surgery to repair a neck injury that left both arms numb last season and threatened to end his career and the 30-year-old Vancouver Canucks forward first points to a small scar on his throat, explaining in a matter-of-fact tone how they pulled his vocal chords aside to pull a disk out of his neck.

Dorsett then lifts up his shirt and points to a second small scar on his right hip, which seems odd for a neck injury, but that's where surgeons removed a chunk of bone -- about the size of the end his finger, Dorsett explained -- for a graft where the disk used to be.

"They pull the disk out and put a little washer with mesh on the bottom and they gouge out bone out of my hip and sprinkle it in on that little washer with the mesh," Dorsett said Thursday after his first day back on the ice at training camp. "They just pry your vertebrae up and slide that washer in and then release it, and once it releases down they put a plate in and four little screws holding the C5 and C6 on the front side, and after, I think it's four months, it creates that fusion."

The procedure took about two hours and is known technically as an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). It's the same cervical spine fusion surgery NFL quarterback Peyton Manning had before missing the entire 2011 NFL season. Dorsett doesn't plan to be out nearly as long. 

Cleared to play six months after the Dec. 5 surgery, Dorsett said he expects to take part in preseason games and doesn't plan to change his style either. He has no intention of shying away from the hits and fights that have resulted in 1,240 penalty minutes in 495 NHL games over nine seasons with the Canucks, New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets.

"I only know how to play one way," Dorsett said. "If I need to stick up for one of my teammates, I will stick up for one of my teammates. If I think the team needs some energy, I will fight."

Dorsett clearly didn't come out of surgery with any mental scars, but there were tough times early in the recovery.

"I don't want to say I hated the game, but there were times where I was like, 'What has this game done to me?'" he said. "That was kind of when I was in my 'poor me' stage, but I had two young kids and I'm in a neck brace for eight weeks and not being around the guys and kind of walking around not knowing how it was going to heal. I was assured it was going to be almost a 100 percent recovery, but I definitely went through some emotional stuff from a personal standpoint."

Dorsett credited his family for helping him and was surprised where some of his other support came from. 

"Guys around the League I had battled against and fought, that I don't get along with on the ice, would see me in the hallway and ask how I was doing and say, 'I can't wait to see you back out there,' and that went a long way," Dorsett said. "Coaches from other teams I hadn't met before would stop and talk before or after games, so the hockey community definitely helped me through some hard times." 

Dorsett had stingers, hits that led to temporary numbness in an arm, but early last season they started to linger, first for 90 minutes after a hit against the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 22, then for a day and a half after getting put in a headlock at the end of a fight against the Ottawa Senators on Nov. 3. Doctors suspected a bulging disk and tried traction, but when both his arms went numb after an innocuous push from behind against the Arizona Coyotes on Nov. 17, they knew more was wrong.

"I'm not going to lie, I kind of broke down a little bit," Dorsett said. "Middle of a game, you hear possible surgery, I was a little upset."

Nine months later, Dorsett is eager to come back to a Canucks team that missed his grit. Even with a plate and four screws in his neck, his family never pressured him to stop.

"It's the only thing I know," he said. "I've played hockey since I was 3 years old, and as soon as I made the decision to get surgery, my focus was to recover and play again. There was never any doubt."

Poor guy, wish him nothing but the best.

You know what. Dorsett gets a alot of unwarranted heat from these boards. This guy bleeds green and blue. He didn't get to choose his size. He didn't get to choose this team. This is the lunchbox, blue collar kind of guy you want on this team. 

You hear about guys complaining about ice time, starts, special teams and linemates then you have Dorsett on the other hand. Guy puts himself in danger going toe to toe against the biggest guys in the league to protect your Horvats and Sedins and Stetchers. 

What's he get at the end of day? No ring of honor, no HOF, no cup ring (with this sorry ass team anyway). On top of all that gets the cdc hate. 

I like DD.  I don't mind his contract for what he does. I hope he can play like this for a long time and retire a canuck. I'm glad he's feeling better and am excited to see his spark plug style play again.

57 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You know what. Dorsettget a alot of unwarranted heat from these boards. This guy bleeds green and blue. He didn't get to choose his size. He didn't get to choose this team. This is the lunchbox, blue collar kind of guy you want on this team. 

You hear about guys complaining about ice time, starts, special teams and linemates then you have dorsett on the other hand. Guy puts himself in danger going toe to toe against the biggest guys in the league to protect your horvats and sedins and stetchers. 

What's he get at the end of day? No ring of honor, no HOF, no cup ring (with this sorry ass team anyway). On top of all that gets the cdc hate. 

I like DD.  I do t mind his contract for what he does. I hope he can play like this for a long time and retire a canuck. I'm glad he's feeling better and am excited to see his spark plug style play again.

My thoughts exactly. +1

He needs to think of his family, his kids and being able to live the rest of his life after hockey. I wish he would retire, he doesn't owe anymore to hockey or his team.

They fixed him once, there is no promise they could do that again. He's been a warrior, the time is now. Please retire Dorsett. 

Nice article. 

Hope he has a bounce back year - DD is more than a fighter.  He always brings a lot of speed, sandpaper and energy - with our added depth maybe those chances he generates get buried a little more often.  

He doesn't get the love he deserves because the penny pinchers don't like the contract - I'm glad he's getting paid considering the toll on his body.  Not like that extra cap space cost us resigning Bo or any FA's.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You know what. Dorsett gets a alot of unwarranted heat from these boards. This guy bleeds green and blue. He didn't get to choose his size. He didn't get to choose this team. This is the lunchbox, blue collar kind of guy you want on this team. 

You hear about guys complaining about ice time, starts, special teams and linemates then you have Dorsett on the other hand. Guy puts himself in danger going toe to toe against the biggest guys in the league to protect your Horvats and Sedins and Stetchers. 

I like DD.  I don't mind his contract for what he does. I hope he can play like this for a long time and retire a canuck. I'm glad he's feeling better and am excited to see his spark plug style play again.

Well said. +1.

7th round picks in the "modern age" of advanced scouting etc. rarely get a sniff let alone going in a 10th year in the league.   Not sure he is going to keep a spot on the Canucks if they truly start to improve and the stronger, faster and more skilled guys who can do what he does (e.g. the Virtanen's and perhaps Gadjo's) start to emerge but if he can get one to three more years in the NHL and not let that injury define the end to his career, that would be a very nice thing to happen for a guy who clearly rose above expectation.

Great post by 73 Percent - far too many people forget there are people behind the jerseys.

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Spot on... the boy's got a massive heart. And when the talk about role models, I don't think they come any better than DD. 

While he may not be a scoring superstar, he's shown what it takes to make it in the league, with the tools he possesses. 

Similar to Hansen in that he always turns up.... 

On this soft team, he's the one who always sticks up for his team mates. Still hope he gets some help this season in White/Upshall or Virtanen.

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

In another time, he'd have made an excellent Black Knight.

giphy.gif

I agree, doesn't deserve hate and he was playing pretty solid up until injuries. Always was skating super hard and trying to create energy, but he lost that energy down the stretch in which we didn't know was due to injury. Hopefully he comes back and plays like he did before. We'll all love him again. 

With having so much time off and having to heal, I would be surprised if he is truly 100%... let alone the potential of the surgery affecting his game both mentally and physically.

I would be quite surprised to see the same DD come back.  If so, and he wants to play then I'm happy to have him on the team; he provides some of the grit we were lacking last season and his work ethic is a good thing to have around for the young guys to learn from.

Good luck Derek!

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

With having so much time off and having to heal, I would be surprised if he is truly 100%... let alone the potential of the surgery affecting his game both mentally and physically.

I would be quite surprised to see the same DD come back.  If so, and he wants to play then I'm happy to have him on the team; he provides some of the grit we were lacking last season and his work ethic is a good thing to have around for the young guys to learn from.

Good luck Derek!

He may in fact never be 100% after a surgery like that, but his 85-90% is better than a lot of guy's efforts on many nights - note that I say 'effort', not talent.  No matter what people say about the direction of the league (going towards more skill/speed), teams absolutely need physicality and push-back - who exactly on the forward group is capable of that and has the experience to know what/when to give the team that shift that wakes them up?  I know people say Virt is going to be this guy but if he isn't and Dorse isn't in the line-up where does that leave us? 

"I only know how to play one way," Dorsett said. "If I need to stick up for one of my teammates, I will stick up for one of my teammates. If I think the team needs some energy, I will fight."

What a man. :goat:

The only reason he's used as a whipping boy over here is because Jimbo has no clue how to negotiate contracts and DD's agent absolute took Jimbo to school. It's not DD's fault he chose a good agent.

Really love Dors and hope he has a successful season!  

Archived