The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL.com article about Dorsett

Rubik

Torres is largely going to be forgotten, but he was instrumental in the cup run the Canucks had in 2011, go watch the 2011 first round series against the Blackhawks if you don't believe me. Everyone on the team was 5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier when they knew they had him backing them up 

Dorsett isn't going to be able to do that for us, but if he can teach Jake how to pick his spots and make the most of his ice time, it will set us up nicely for the future. 

I like what Dorsett does, but it also concerns me about his future after hockey if he injuries that fusion area. I think if he walked away from the game no one would fault him for it. I would hate to see some creep like Tkachuck head shot him and then he has a life with chronic pain. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like what Dorsett does, but it also concerns me about his future after hockey if he injuries that fusion area. I think if he walked away from the game no one would fault him for it. I would hate to see some creep like Tkachuck head shot him and then he has a life with chronic pain. 

Totally agree!

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Millions of dollars, private jets, private chefs, crowds cheering your name, on the road with your buddies in all the best hotels and cities...

Let him make up his own mind on what it's all worth to him. 

Ask a few here about what they'd do for 2 million a year and benefits like that! 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

He may in fact never be 100% after a surgery like that, but his 85-90% is better than a lot of guy's efforts on many nights - note that I say 'effort', not talent.  No matter what people say about the direction of the league (going towards more skill/speed), teams absolutely need physicality and push-back - who exactly on the forward group is capable of that and has the experience to know what/when to give the team that shift that wakes them up?  I know people say Virt is going to be this guy but if he isn't and Dorse isn't in the line-up where does that leave us? 

As far as "grit" goes, same place we were last season, apparently.  At least we have Guddy back.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Millions of dollars, private jets, private chefs, crowds cheering your name, on the road with your buddies in all the best hotels and cities...

Let him make up his own mind on what it's all worth to him. 

Ask a few here about what they'd do for 2 million a year and benefits like that! 

sure, but go talk to someone who lives with chronic pain and they'll tell you they'd give up anything to be free of it 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure, but go talk to someone who lives with chronic pain and they'll tell you they'd give up anything to be free of it 

DD said this or are "we" SJWing on his behalf?

If he wants to play, he will. None of our business, is my position. Why is it not yours as well? Correct about pain sufferers, but DD has experts surrounding him and can make up his mind for himself. 

(:PYou shouldn't should on people - Mom.)

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

DD said this or are "we" SJWing on his behalf?

If he wants to play, he will. None of our business, is my position. Why is it not yours as well? Correct about pain sufferers, but DD has experts surrounding him and can make up his mind for himself. 

(:PYou shouldn't should on people - Mom.)

SJW? wtf? how does that apply?

no i just know people who deal with pain and its not pretty. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

SJW? wtf? how does that apply?

no i just know people who deal with pain and its not pretty. 

It applies as well as it fits. I'm not posting specifically to you here, but I do want to make the point just the same.

Who are you(s), and please accept this honest point, are you to comment on DD continuing to play his rugged hockey? Are you assuming you've thought this through more than he has? It's his business, after all, not ours.

A SJW loves to advocate on belalf of a perceived victim, which carries many assumptions and insight into the mind of the mouthpiece doing so. Correct?

DD doesn't need anyone doing his thinking for him. To feel the need to comment and post on such matters suggests that "you" and similar posters feel that he is a victim of his own injustices and needs a voice, separate and louder than his own, to protect him, in this case, from pain. I'm 99% certain that he can handle this decision himself. 

12 hours ago, Rubik said:

What a great insight into what this guys been through.  Having gone through two lower back surgeries I get the drill ( numb legs instead).  I'm glad he hasn't given up and his willingness to keep playing that role is a testament to his committment.  I hope he has a great year. ..I wonder how long he will wait before dropping the gloves against and oversized opponent.  Probably not very long.

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You know what. Dorsett gets a alot of unwarranted heat from these boards. This guy bleeds green and blue. He didn't get to choose his size. He didn't get to choose this team. This is the lunchbox, blue collar kind of guy you want on this team. 

You hear about guys complaining about ice time, starts, special teams and linemates then you have Dorsett on the other hand. Guy puts himself in danger going toe to toe against the biggest guys in the league to protect your Horvats and Sedins and Stetchers. 

What's he get at the end of day? No ring of honor, no HOF, no cup ring (with this sorry ass team anyway). On top of all that gets the cdc hate. 

I like DD.  I don't mind his contract for what he does. I hope he can play like this for a long time and retire a canuck. I'm glad he's feeling better and am excited to see his spark plug style play again.

As much as I agree with your sentiment he did in fact choose this team when he signed an extension. He could have gone the ufa route had he not wanted to be here.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Would you endure chronic pain to ensure your children's future with millions of dollars? It's a choice many athletes make.

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I know someone that had that done and DD should not be playing a game where one bad bounce off the boards he might never be able to walk or use his body again!

1 - He's been medically cleared.

2 - Every contact sport carries risk and those participating know it.

3 - Ultimately it's his choice and nobody elses.

37 minutes ago, Baggins said:

As much as I agree with your sentiment he did in fact choose this team when he signed an extension. He could have gone the ufa route had he not wanted to be here.

Easy to sign an extension. But he was traded here. Isn't not like we drafted him as a hometown kid. That's my thinking. But I digress. You are right.

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It applies as well as it fits. I'm not posting specifically to you here, but I do want to make the point just the same.

Who are you(s), and please accept this honest point, are you to comment on DD continuing to play his rugged hockey? Are you assuming you've thought this through more than he has? It's his business, after all, not ours.

A SJW loves to advocate on belalf of a perceived victim, which carries many assumptions and insight into the mind of the mouthpiece doing so. Correct?

DD doesn't need anyone doing his thinking for him. To feel the need to comment and post on such matters suggests that "you" and similar posters feel that he is a victim of his own injustices and needs a voice, separate and louder than his own, to protect him, in this case, from pain. I'm 99% certain that he can handle this decision himself. 

decisions are made in the best interests of players all the time by team doctors and even GMs, its not about "victim" mentality. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe, doesn't mean you should be allowed to, its just hockey. 

Perhaps due to the risk of serious injury and concussions both football and hockey should simply be outlawed. Best to also put an end to skiing, snowboarding, skydiving, rock climbing, rodeo, and boxing. The list goes on and on. People simply shouldn't be allowed to put themselves at risk of injury.

Archived