The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL.com article about Dorsett

Rubik

13 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Perhaps due to the risk of serious injury and concussions both football and hockey should simply be outlawed. Best to also put an end to skiing, snowboarding, skydiving, rock climbing, rodeo, and boxing. The list goes on and on. People simply shouldn't be allowed to put themselves at risk of injury.

:picard: this isn't a slippery slope. 

if someone has had a prior injury that puts them at greater risk, or potential for much higher severity, of injury yes team doctors should step in. 

All players wear helmets now. Did that upset you or was it a reasonable thing? Sometimes players can be at too much risk. I don't know if thats the case for Dorsett or not but if after a neck fusion he decided to hang up his skates, or if there was some issue the doctors were concerned about it could be a very reasonable thing to not allow him to play. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:picard: this isn't a slippery slope. 

if someone has had a prior injury that puts them at greater risk, or potential for much higher severity, of injury yes team doctors should step in. 

All players wear helmets now. Did that upset you or was it a reasonable thing? Sometimes players can be at too much risk. I don't know if thats the case for Dorsett or not but if after a neck fusion he decided to hang up his skates, or if there was some issue the doctors were concerned about it could be a very reasonable thing to not allow him to play. 

Well he's been medically cleared. You know, by the doctors. That leaves it his choice. Gary Roberts returned to play another 12 seasons after neck surgery. His surgery was done at the same place Dorsett went.

Tell Gary Roberts he shouldn't have been allowed to play after neck surgery....

11 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I know someone that had that done and DD should not be playing a game where one bad bounce off the boards he might never be able to walk or use his body again!

Fusions are impossible to break.  You could fall from an airplane and it would be the last thing to go, at least that's what I was told by my surgeon and Dr.  He wouldn't be cleared to play, especially given his game, if they didn't feel the same way about DD procedure. 

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Well he's been medically cleared. You know, by the doctors. That leaves it his choice. Gary Roberts returned to play another 12 seasons after neck surgery. His surgery was done at the same place Dorsett went.

That's leadership.  Love the announcers excitment.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:48 AM, 73 Percent said:

You know what. Dorsett gets a alot of unwarranted heat from these boards. This guy bleeds green and blue. He didn't get to choose his size. He didn't get to choose this team. This is the lunchbox, blue collar kind of guy you want on this team. 

You hear about guys complaining about ice time, starts, special teams and linemates then you have Dorsett on the other hand. Guy puts himself in danger going toe to toe against the biggest guys in the league to protect your Horvats and Sedins and Stetchers. 

What's he get at the end of day? No ring of honor, no HOF, no cup ring (with this sorry ass team anyway). On top of all that gets the cdc hate. 

I like DD.  I don't mind his contract for what he does. I hope he can play like this for a long time and retire a canuck. I'm glad he's feeling better and am excited to see his spark plug style play again.

Indeed. 

The Canucks paid a 3rd to get him on this team? They got him cheap for what he brings.

regards,  G.

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

I'm sure Derek Boogards family wishes someone had paid more attention to the risks of chronic injuries. Not sure what you're arguing for here. 

On 2017-09-16 at 6:12 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure Derek Boogards family wishes someone had paid more attention to the risks of chronic injuries. Not sure what you're arguing for here. 

My argument is if a player is medically cleared up entirely up to him. Knowing the risks, it's his choice to play or retire not ours or anybody elses.

Archived