The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

London attack at Parsons Green station eyed as 'terrorist incident,' police say

Ryan Strome

44 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Look at what is happening in the US or even this thread ... They have you scared, fear mongering and turning on each-other. Calling this side fake news and that a  liberal policy caused this and conservatives are all racist that, blah blah blah... I feel sad for humanity, specially those in the west that have been duped to attack each other rather than the real bad guys.... 

People better smarten up and try to work with each other... As of right now the terrorists are winning.

Are you Pablo's brother ?   What do u  think of the Netflix series Narcos ?   Is your family ok with the portrayal  / accuracy ? 

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I don't deny that (some) refugees do wonderful things and contribute to the benefit of all.  Still there is the legal issue of increased crime.  Regardless of the end (some refugees contributing positively) does that justify the raping, murder, and other violence that (again some) refugees do to citizens?  Even one crime perpetrated by a refugee is one crime that would not have occurred if the refugee was not allowed into the country.  Do we disregard the rights of those citizens who's rights to safety of person have been (will be, currently are) violated?

I don't know if my view is myopic.  I guess one could suggest my views are if this was a grey area.  But I don't see this in shades of grey, or on some kind of spectrum of safety.  I see even one act refugee violence as crossing the line.

If we think of a country as one big family then having refugees would be akin to (as a parent) inviting in 10 homeless people to live in my house with my children.  Nine of these homeless people are wonderful, and add to our family.  However, one of them is nasty, and rapes my daughter.  Am I not responsible for keeping my children safe, and therefore responsible for putting her at risk?    

Your line of thinking is inward looking, isolationist, fear mongering, self-defeating and suicide. If we shut the door to all who *might* do us harm cause they *might* do something bad and ignoring the fact that they *might* and often do do something good, we're committing suicide. Sounds good, feels good, but in the end is ultimately self-defeating. Life is not black or white, despite how you might want it to be.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I accept that King, but we are talking about refugees.  

Yes, but Canada exists due to immigrants  - both economic motivated or refugees....

Yes, it does involve  planning for integration , support$$$$$  ,    and of course some patience...   but look at the beautiful Country we have created.

I am much supportive of refugees than i am of those bring dirty money into our country and avoiding taxes / money  laundering  / real estate speculating. 

#ProudCanadian  

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I accept that King, but we are talking about refugees.  

Why only refugees then? What about immigrants? Shouldn't we stop immigration all together? Letting in immigrants also has the potential that you might let in a few criminals? Why stop even at immigrants? Let's stop tourists from coming into Canada as well, they are also potential criminals. Maybe we should just close all avenues of entry into our country and kick out anyone who isn't Canadian. Everyone is a potential criminal so we might as well not allow anyone into our country and follow North Korea's example of complete and total isolation.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Why only refugees then? What about immigrants? Shouldn't we stop immigration all together? Letting in immigrants also has the potential that you might let in a few criminals? Why stop even at immigrants? Let's stop tourists from coming into Canada as well, they are also potential criminals. Maybe we should just close all avenues of entry into our country and kick out anyone who isn't Canadian. Everyone is a potential criminal so we might as well not allow anyone into our country and follow North Korea's example of complete and total isolation.

Certainly we should keep out anyone with a balloon. :shock:

I don't disagree at all with your hyperbole.  I am trying to determine where our government's responsibility for the safety of its citizens comes into this issue.  How much added criminal activity (caused by refugees) is acceptable?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I don't disagree at all with your hyperbole.  I am trying to determine where our government's responsibility for the safety of its citizens comes into this issue.  How much added criminal activity (caused by refugees) is acceptable?  

There is definately a cost associated with integrating refugees and immigrants.  If you don't spend the money on helping them transition into our culture.... then it will cost you done the road with policing, prison, social costs etc..   Pay up front or pay later.   

Canada needs provide proper services to our refugees.

I was glad to see a bit of the BC surplus used on providing free adult education.  Immigrants can often not afford to pay for english classes.

Speaking English effectively is the quickest way for immigrants to transition into becoming Canadian.....

WE just to make sure that the money is not being scammed by questionable private language schools ... eg. signed up and paid courses that no one attends.....

Sometimes i think Canadians can be naive and that we are vulnerable to being taken advantage of ... 

But overall, most immigrants are very honest and come to Canada looking for a fresh start / advantage for their kids etc....

Alf - what planet were your relatives from ?  Do you get back home often ?

My family is pretty much Scottish and French equal parts...  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The government's responsibility is taking the necessary steps to ensure that anyone entering our country isn't out to do harm to our citizens. This includes background checks and other tools available to thoroughly vet every individual that applies for entry into our country. Sadly there will always be a few that slip through the cracks or decide to turn into criminals after they have entered. As long as the government is doing their due diligence then they have fulfilled their responsibility. 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

There is definately a cost associated with integrating refugees and immigrants.  If you don't spend the money on helping them transition into our culture.... then it will cost you done the road with policing, prison, social costs etc..   Pay up front or pay later.   

I was glad to see a bit of the BC surplus used on providing free adult education.  Immigrants can often not afford to pay for english classes.

Speaking English effectively is the quickest way for immigrants to transition into becoming Canadian.....

WE just to make sure that the money is not being scammed by questionable private language schools ... eg. signed up and paid courses that no one attends.....

Sometimes i think Canadians can be naive and that we are vulnerable to being taken advantage of ... 

But overall, most immigrants are very honest and come to Canada looking for a fresh start / advantage for their kids etc....

English classes are always free. 

You just gotta sign up for them and check for availability suitable for your level of comprehension.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was in Germany first hand for some of this and can say that you can use the stats to play into the fact that the migrant rate of crime is indeed higher but a deeper dive indicates so many complexities you start to even question what selectivity is used in terms of defining "crime".   What I didn't see or read out in Europe was any extra "rape" or "murder" in terms of migrant crime as, per my own personal experience, most was pretty petty I believe.

I think the one thing Germany did wrong and some seem to be not doing much better is opening the borders without a semblance of a plan for what to do with the people and creating such a desperate situation that not sure it was much better than what they left in some cases.   Further, the government (at least in Germany) misled its own people as to how many, how fast and what the plan (none) was.   HOWEVER, to say that there was then a massive crime way and fear in the streets is pure fantasy.

Main problem in Europe, is the fact that they have done a terrible job in assimilating these people into their society.

Until they fix that, they might as well close the door and don't let anyone in.

Their current measures, only compound problem that has existed for a long time.

11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Main problem in Europe, is the fact that they have done a terrible job in assimilating these people into their society.

Is Canada's immigration intergration approach better funded / better planned ?  or is it the Canadian economy has more opportunities for refugees / immigrants ???

29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alf is Metis.  French is the European background. 

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Maybe some European countries are taking in more refugees than they can properly care for?  

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is Canada's immigration intergration approach better funded / better planned ?  or is it the Canadian economy has more opportunities for refugees / immigrants ???

Canada and United States have the ability to take immigrants that are more skilled.

Europe has to take those that make it to the EU.

Also social services are way better, those that want to succeed are more likely to come to North America.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe some European countries are taking in more refugees than they can properly care for?  

Yes and no, they have no choice since they are unable to stop them from coming in.

We have an ocean that separates up so that is that.

Plus refugees and immigrant will pass through several countries, before reaching Germany or Sweden.

9 hours ago, Toews said:

It is true that better controls need to be in place to ensure that a country is accepting the right demographic of people and that these people are truly in danger due to war or political reasons. You should not just be allowed into a country just because you were not happy in your home country. There are refugees who are truly in danger due to their home having turned into a war zone. They should be prioritized and to serve them effectively we need to make sure that any and all migrants and truly there because life in their home country is untenable. By the right demographic I mean that women and children must be prioritized. Criminals should be prosecuted and serve sentences. Depending on the nature of their crimes they should be deported as well, repeat offenders should also be deported. If you are a guest in the country then you need to respect the laws of that country and be appreciative of the hospitality of the country. I have travelled to a whole bunch of countries and I have respected and followed all their laws, all migrants have the same obligation. 

Yes....like these dreamers. They're so grateful they want to take control of the country.  Move out of the way Dems....they are the resistance.  lol   (literally that's what they are saying...the dems built a billion dollar deportation machine and turned it over to Trump)

Archived