The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bring back the old Canucks site

Roberts

Site Opinion  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never liked the new style the Canucks & NHL have used for their sites, the old versions (shown below) were much more simple, user friendly, and overall better. It was really nice not having to go to several other pages to find info I wanted when it was just all right there. Also having the Canucks forum latest posts section on the front page was really nice and I miss that. I went on old site archive and found the greatest version of the sites (in my opinion).

I loved the old layout as well, the last game, next game, and upcoming games was really nice and simple.

Remember this?

nux1.thumb.PNG.cf45e30e646d29f0fc9d8a7c2bcb9d3d.PNG

One of the biggest things I loved about the old site was having the schedule right there and easy to maneuver through, shows all the games, scores, teams, etc.. I also loved the polls, it was just a little thing that was fun to vote on while I was browsing around.

nux2.thumb.PNG.d1408b164cdab0fe9e36bd7e454f0129.PNG

I loved clicking schedule and actually having a real written schedule that was easy to sort out, you could easily sort game type, TV station types, and home or away games. So much more simple..

nux3.thumb.PNG.dc8cef04c21f18a70e3947b31a9d74dd.PNG

I loved clicking a game and going right to a page with all the info I needed, score, schedule, highlights clip, all the scoring, everything.

nux4.thumb.PNG.387b7278f3713a32f57b8185b5f46d70.PNG

What a difference in the roster..

nux5.thumb.PNG.14f75d02f74f4058a438c133e3bf7874.PNG

RIP Pavol Demitra & Rick Rypien

Also who could forget the old NHL site?

nux6.thumb.PNG.f7d8968d21895d42c84648083be9425d.PNG

I really miss this..

nux8.thumb.PNG.5178eb03a4b08139903ab5fee3325357.PNG

Visit the old Canucks site for yourself here - https://web.archive.org/web/20100107054344/http://www.nhl.com:80/canucks/

Visit the old NHL site for yourself here - https://web.archive.org/web/20110208172529/http://www.nhl.com/

Let me know your opinions about the old site vs. the new site. I wish the NHL would change all the sites back to a similar style to before at least.

I believe the NHL changed their site and their teams sites to this new format. Although it's been a while since the change, I still hate it so much. I'd much rather have the older format back.

Unfortunately I don't think Stealth has any say for the main Canucks site as it's probably run by the NHL. I barely even go to NHL.com anymore. It's awful now.

Just now, Xbox said:

I believe the NHL changed their site and their teams sites to this new format. Although it's been a while since the change, I still hate it so much, I'd much rather have the older format back. I don't think Stealth has any say for the main Canucks site as it's probably run by the NHL. I used to go to our site and NHL.com a lot before this happened. 

I agree, I really don't like the new layout for all the sites, I miss when all the teams logos were at the top of the NHL page.. why must they make everything so complicated..

cdc.png

2004 draft for those interested:

2004 Entry                    
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2004 Entry 26 1 Cory Schneider G Phillips-Andover (Mass.) 330 0 8 8 4
2004 Entry 91 3 Alexander Edler D Jamtland (Sweden) 688 78 222 300 423
2004 Entry 125 4 Andrew Sarauer L Langley Hornets [BCHL]          
2004 Entry 159 5 Mike Brown R U. of Michigan [CCHA] 407 19 17 36 778
2004 Entry 189 6 Julien Ellis G Shawinigan Cataractes [QMJHL]          
2004 Entry 254 8 David Schulz D Swift Current Broncos [WHL]          
2004 Entry 287 9 Jannik Hansen R Malmo Jrs [Sweden] 580 107 135 242 267

2005 combined NHL man games, Edler is still with the team, and from Schneider we got Bo Horvat and from Hansen we got Dahlen. I'd say the 2004 draft was a pretty good draft (probably only really good one) for Delorme and co

The old format was developed by another company and the NHL has changed provider.  Teams have control over the content but not the general layout - it's standardised for each teams.  

From August 2015 - the article goes in more detail.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-major-league-baseball-advanced-media-form-transformative-digital-rights-partnership/c-776246

Commissioner Bettman and Commissioner Manfred on Tuesday announced a six-year digital media rights partnership between the NHL and Major League Baseball Advanced Media, the technical arm of Major League Baseball, that is expected to enhance the user experience across the League's digital platforms, including GameCenter Live, NHL Center Ice, NHL Network and NHL.com.

The deal also provides for an equity share for the NHL in a new tech company to be launched by MLBAM.

The launch of the NHL's digital products through the partnership with MLBAM is expected to take place in January. NeuLion, the NHL's current digital partner, will help facilitate the transition to MLBAM.

I really miss the next game/previous game as well.  Tell me when the next game is along with its start time without searching for it.  The cynic in me says they have made it harder to find this to just simply create more clicks.  My cynic isn't always right, but I'm siding with him on this one.

39 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I almost don't believe you. I abandoned looking at stats on NHL.com for about two years. It is crazy how a multi-billion dollar league could have such an incompetent web staff.

Especially when you can get the same stats in a better, easier to use format on other sites. 

Hell, they don't even have an up to date prospects section. I have to rely on CapFriendly for that. (Capgeek's worthy successor)

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The new NHL.com is a trillion times better than the old one, especially the stats section.

Are you joking? NHL.com is awful. It took them well over a year to incorporate more clickable news links so people didn't have to scroll down giant window stories that are like 1 to a page. It's still the equivalent of putting a piece of chocolate on top of a turd though. 

5 hours ago, mll said:

Commissioner Bettman and Commissioner Manfred on Tuesday announced a six-year digital media rights partnership between the NHL and Major League Baseball Advanced Media, the technical arm of Major League Baseball, that is expected to enhance the user experience across the League's digital platforms, including GameCenter Live, NHL Center Ice, NHL Network and NHL.com.

The deal also provides for an equity share for the NHL in a new tech company to be launched by MLBAM.

The launch of the NHL's digital products through the partnership with MLBAM is expected to take place in January. NeuLion, the NHL's current digital partner, will help facilitate the transition to MLBAM.

:lol: I just knew Bettman would have something to do with this..

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I almost don't believe you. I abandoned looking at stats on NHL.com for about two years. It is crazy how a multi-billion dollar league could have such an incompetent web staff.

Yeah, I began to exclusively use hockey-reference (and still do use it for most stats), but NHL.com has caught up to the point where they're nearly as good.

It's worth noting that I rarely look into super advanced stats; other sites are certainly better for that.

Archived