44 Duncan

Preseason GDT/PGT Canucks vs Golden Knights Sept. 17th 2:00pm

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

The Canuck powerplay is so horrible that I can't fault them for picking up Sam Gagner. He can produce on the PP, which is more than I can say for pretty much any other Canuck centreman.

I'm thinking Burmistrov will help out as well.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I felt good, sometimes the game goes that way. I never like giving up four goals. I need to move on and refocus for the week." - Demko

"the &^@#ing way she goes"

4 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Hate to bring this up but. 

Sergaychev, Bean, Chychren, McCavoy and Stanley all look like twice the player Juolevi is thus far. 

McCavoy, Chychrun and Sergachev for sure, but no way does Logan Stanley look better than Juolevi. Olli has been bad but Stanley looks like he's never going to be an NHL'er.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

He was the first pass on the wall a few times and he didn't make the play for us to get the puck out of our end.  

But my point is, perhaps he would've performed better with decent linemates like Horvat and Boeser!

• Upvote 1

Defense was the difference.  Canucks had nobody on D with NHL games.  Vegas had Stoner (360), Theodore (53), Reinhart (37).  Sloppy all round.  New slashing criteria have to be adjusted to more quickly.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rocksterh8 said:

how did they get this Wong guy? did they draft him?

Nope. Undrafted. Played in the WHL in Lethbridge, so you know the junior scouts have seen him.

4 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I am reminded of that scene from Indiana Jones when dude looks into the Ark of the Covenant and his face melts, mostly when I watch Jordan Subban play defense. I try not to look directly at it.

I didn't actually see him play defense today.

Well that wasn't pretty, but it was more of a prospects game. Only 2 Canucks players who should make the big team (Boeser and Virtanen). Hate that they're calling everything, so many penalties ruins the flow of the game. If players don't want to hurt their wrists, then wear longer gloves or get some padding there. Friggin Gaudreau.

Team didn't look good at all. Both goalies struggled. Subban, Archibald, Boeser, Virtanen and Holm played well. Seeing the success Wong had in this game, makes me glad Benning drafted Palmu.

I couldn't care less about the score.  I like the change in style and it's good to see Greens system in Van.  I thought Virt was the most impactful fwd again and every time her on the ice he impacts the play.  Very happy to see him come out so strong.  

Boes, obviously, has ridiculous offensive skills, but he mostly un-noticed otherwise.  But those hands, yowsa!

Goldy was mostly invisible tonight........everything is there but the compete level.  He had a good game last night, so he's still at even par for me.  I'm pulling for him to put it together.

I'm also pulling for Subban because man does he make an impact.  But, as advertised, his d game is his Achilles heel.  

OJ was quiet and, like all the d, looked pretty bad on a cpl goals, but he also did some really great things to, they are just very subtle and earth to missing you're not looking for him

MacEneny would benefit from another year in Utica, but he probably won't pass through wsivers, so it'll be interesting to see how they deal with him

Rodin skated well and he's highly skilled.  He just made decisions like a guy who has barely played any hockey in the last two years.  I still think he's a pretty safe bet to start in Van......he needs to play with better linemates

• Upvote 3

Juolevi and Goldobin should not be playing anymore pre-season games. Send them both down immediately. Rodin, Megna, Chaput were sub-par, Lind was okay, Gadjovich and a buncha others were non-existant.

Holm is super sloppy af, he has one terrific shift and then he has 3 terrible shifts afterwards. McEneny and Subban were our best defenseman. 

Boeser, Virtanen, Archibald were good tonight with Boeser being excellent. 

I'm honestly disappointed in Juolevi out of all the above. Very slow, sloppy, and no sense of urgency in his game. Next year maybe bud.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Boeser was good,Virtanen was decent....Joulevi,Goldobin,Rodin,Demko did very little to elevate their status in this game.

Agree except for Demko. None of this was your fault 

2 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I am jealous of the Vegas prospects. Alex Tuch and Tyler Wong were both more impressive than anyone on the Canucks roster, including Boeser.

Vegas had teams giftwrapping draft picks for not taking their roster players in the expansion draft.  A modern day highway robbery orchestrated by Bettman and his rogue league. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

boeser looks nhl ready. that is it.

Offensively, for sure.  Other parts of his game need a fair amount of work, imo.  I'm loving his game though, I just think he'll be in Utica.......there's a bigger picture to look at with waivers, injuries, depth etc.

At this point, Virt has got to be at the top of the list and I think even he will be in Utica.

• Upvote 2

Philip Holm outplayed the Canucks' 1st rd pick Juolevi. Let that sink in.

What the hell is wrong with this team's development system?

They got their asses kicked by an expansion team's prospects...

• Upvote 1

Regarding juolevi....I know I'll get flamed here 

I've defended the pick in multiple forums since it was made.

Problem is it's getting harder and harder to defend the pick in light of his performances vs his peers.  Very blah at the Wjc, nothing special during the ohl season, showed a glimmer of something special in the ohl  playoffs...and so on...

if if he was a late first rounder or second rounder it wouldn't be so concerning.  This is one of the organizations golden eggs. A pick that should be a difference maker. Can he turn out to be a top 4 d man? Sure... but It would be nice to have one game where he looks like a star, even a bloody street hockey game like today.  Why couldnr he look good like glass and boeser? 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I am jealous of the Vegas prospects. Alex Tuch and Tyler Wong were both more impressive than anyone on the Canucks roster, including Boeser.

I though Boeser was more noticeable in the 200 foot game then the other 2 so id say for myself Boeser was the most impressive on the ice. Wong and Tuch were very good in the O zone 

Just now, 1-d said:

Vegas had teams giftwrapping draft picks for not taking their roster players in the expansion draft.  A modern day highway robbery orchestrated by Bettman and his rogue league. 

Juolevi is arugably the best 'pick' in that game, and he was arguably the Canucks' worst defenseman today.

This isn't about what Vegas did right, it's what Vancouver did wrong.

Oh, and Wong? He wasn't even drafted. He's a goddamn walk-on. Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 1

I have to admit this one was tough to take anything from it with the refs making calls almost every minute especially in the middle frame. Also the number of slashing calls which were anything but stick checks was ridiculous. Refs owned it. But I was impressed by Boeser and Virtanen's play. They were always good with the puck and took good care of it and making good decisions. Other than Holm who had a up and down game and Subban who was okay, the rest of D were flat. Of course they're still young and they have the preseason to fix and learn from their mistakes and improve upon it. Bachman was flat out terrible. He didn't look as prepared. But can't really blame him when the defence wasn't doing their part. Demko shut the door but again, defence let him down a bit. The defence on the ice today is inexperienced and playing games wherever they may be applicable to ala AHL, OHL, overseas, etc will be much better served for their development. Scrap this one and move on to the next one for this group

1 minute ago, Mustapha said:

Juolevi is arugably the best 'pick' in that game, and he was arguably the Canucks' worst defenseman today.

This isn't about what Vegas did right, it's what Vancouver did wrong.

Oh, and Wong? He wasn't even drafted. He's a goddamn walk-on. Jesus Christ.

Sadly, it's also the story of this franchise over the past decade or so...