The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Panthers trade Jason Demers to Coyotes for Jamie McGinn

15 minutes ago, b3. said:

You'd think it would be an unwritten rule to be quiet. But I will wait to see if there is a video or actual quote of him saying that.

Yup, not a Demers fan.

I'm guessing if it was a cap dump and Guddy headed back there was some decent '+' heading back our way like a prospect or a first etc.

Benning dodged a bullet then.  I think a rangy stay at home D man that can punish the hell out of forwards will be more vaulable than an additional 20+ points and suspect zone coverage for this team.  Especially with Tryamking gone.

We can look to Del Zotto/Wiercoch for some added blue line scoring, but neither of them will punish a single forward the way Guddy would.

Besides...he might get a better return at the deadline if there's a trade in the cards for him

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

If they want him, they'd have to offer a lot to get us to consider trading him back. I don't think you have to worry.

He'll be gone as UFA at end of year unless we overpay. I think he'll most likely end up back in FLD especially with Tallon being GM again. 

We'd have to overpay quite a bit, just with no state taxes in FLD there will be a approx 500k difference. Plus why be on a sucky team in rainy Vancouver when you can be on a better team in sunny FLD

Or we trade him for a 2nd at tdl.

JB's willing to pull the trigger on Guddy, things are gonna get interesting come trade deadline time if we're out of the playoff picture. Him and Vanek may very well be on their way out, though we were likely always buying a pick or two with the Vanek signing.

I'm hoping Guddy has himself a good season and we're able to lock him down for a while though. I like myself a bruising DD.

The Florida Panthers tried to trade Jason Demers to the 

Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Erik Gudbransonbefore Demers used his no-trade clause to shut down the deal, says George Richards of the Miami Herald.

Demers didn’t deny shutting down a trade to Vancouver back in July, and the Panthers eventually moved him to the Arizona Coyotes for forward Jamie McGinn on Sunday – with the Panthers retaining $562,500 of Demers’ salary for the next four seasons.

Dale Tallon tried sending Jason Demers to Vancouver to get Erik Gudbranson back but Demers turned deal down. Has a modified NTC.

The 29-year-old’s modified no-trade clause allows him to submit a list of eight teams that he can block a trade to, according to CapFriendly.com.

The Panthers traded Gudbranson to the Canucks for forward Jared McCann and a second-round pick in May of 2016, as Florida looked intent on building a roster around more mobile defencemen.

With Dale Tallon reclaiming GM duties this past April (the team had been seemingly phasing out the veteran executive), Florida has slowly been returning to a much more traditional look.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman even half-jokingly guessedthat Tallon would try to re-acquire Gudbranson back in June.

The 25-year-old is a big-bodied blueliner who can reliably clear the front of the net while providing toughness to a lineup.

He was drafted by Florida third overall in 2010 and has 12 goals and 49 points in 339 career NHL games.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does it matter the why?  Just be thankful it didn't happen.  

Yes it does matter why. Next thing people will start posting Gudbranson nixed the trade, then the thread is all over the place. Facts matter. 

A trade will still be made, but we aren't getting more than a 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. So maybe it would have been better had the trade ben made. We'll never know. Maybe Demers would have been a good fit here. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes it does matter why. Next thing people will start posting Gudbranson nixed the trade, then the thread is all over the place. Facts matter. 

A trade will still be made, but we aren't getting more than a 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. So maybe it would have been better had the trade ben made. We'll never know. Maybe Demers would have been a good fit here. 

Maybe we extend Guddy, and he leads us to a Cup?  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

It's Demers that turned the deal down.  Now everyone knows including Gudbranson that Benning wanted to make that trade.

Gudbranson knows he's gone at trade deadline anyways. No big deal if he knows it might have happened sooner. 

He's a UFA who'll likely sign back in FLD next summer anyways..

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He'll be done by the time this team contends for a Cup. Many many years of rebuilding, drafting and developing to go before we start thinking Cup again. 

I see the Demers trade return as showing that the rumours about Talon getting Guddy for Demers have no merit.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see the Demers trade return as showing that the rumours about Talon getting Guddy for Demers have no merit.  

Maybe, 5 or 6 D on a UFA year contract? Not sure JB could get more than Demers for him. Or a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline. I don't se more than that.  

JB pbbly wanted to make that trade because he gave up a 1st round prospect and a 2nd round pick. He doesn't want a 2nd rounder and have to explain that at the deadline. 

Archived