• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.
Squamfan

Report: Panthers-Canucks deal Demers nixed was for Gudbranson

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-panthers-canucks-deal-demers-nixed-gudbranson/

Not sure is its old new but if it happened today, Benning and Linden dogged a bullet. I mean the Canucks are already the softest team team in the league, and they try

to trade their only tough defender for a plug. Erik is good he just need time.

Edited by Squamfan
  • Upvote 3

It happened back in July. It was reported Demers nixed a deal to VAN, when asked Demers did not deny it. Then rumours came out that nixed deal was for Gudbranson. Now Demers told reporters that he nixed a deal to VAN for Gudbranson. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1376037

Jason Demers was nearly a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

The veteran defenseman told reporters Sunday that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon tried sending him to the Canucks to get blue-liner Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers turned it down, according to the Miami Herald's George Richards.

Demers has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of eight teams to which he can't be dealt, according to CapFriendly.

The Panthers shipped Gudbranson to the Canucks for center Jared McCann in May 2016.

Tallon reassumed Florida's GM position in April when Tom Rowe was reassigned.

Edited by WHL rocks

Well damn, I'm glad Demers nixed a trade then... What's the point of giving up McCann for Gudbranson and then to only try and trade Guddy for an older vet who really doesn't possess anything different than what we already have.

Gudbranson gives us physicality, stay-at home type of game to our backend. Demers is another Edler/Tanev copy

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It happened back in July. It was reported Demers nixed a deal to VAN, when asked Demers did not deny it. Then rumours came out that nixed deal was for Gudbranson. Now Demers told reporters that he nixed a deal to VAN for Gudbranson. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1376037

Jason Demers was nearly a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

The veteran defenseman told reporters Sunday that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon tried sending him to the Canucks to get blue-liner Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers turned it down, according to the Miami Herald's George Richards.

Demers has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of eight teams to which he can't be dealt, according to CapFriendly.

The Panthers shipped Gudbranson to the Canucks for center Jared McCann in May 2016.

Tallon reassumed Florida's GM position in April when Tom Rowe was reassigned.

"according to [some Florida reporter]".  

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Well damn, I'm glad Demers nixed a trade then... What's the point of giving up McCann for Gudbranson and then to only try and trade Guddy for an older vet who really doesn't possess anything different than what we already have.

Gudbranson gives us physicality, stay-at home type of game to our backend. Demers is another Edler/Tanev copy

Unless it included a prospect or a pick back. But yeah, definitely glad if it was just for Demers.

what was the "+ Demers"? For sure Jim has another prospect or pick coming back in this one. Unless we know the other pieces its impossible to judge it. Florida ended up essentially cap dumping Demers today so despite the haters you have to think Jim had more pieces coming our way. 

Maybe a 3rd round pick along with Demers?

Gudbranson is a 5D at best. Maybe even a 6D on a contending team and he's on a UFA contract. Not gonna get much for him imo. 

• Upvote 2

Perhaps this bum has an axe to grind with someone in our org? Who cares? If he keeps this style up, should guarantee himself a league HQ's position when his overrated days are done.

• Upvote 1

Unless it also included one of their top prospects or a first I would have asked for Benning's resignation. I love what Gudbranson brings, not a huge fan of Demers. Deal makes no sense for us. Especially after getting Del Zotto who lets be honest brings what Demers would have brought.

Edit: Should also make a point of saying I don't really believe the rumor. 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 2

I really like Demers, a whole lot more than Gudbranson, actually.

However, unless the "+" involved was somewhat enticing, it wouldn't have made any sense for the Canucks. A team that is full on rebuild shouldn't be trying to get marginally better right now.

The Gudbranson acquisition happened (unfortunately). Live with it and move on.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Unless it also included one of their top prospects or a first I would have asked for Benning's resignation. I love what Gudbranson brings, not a huge fan of Demers. Deal makes no sense for us. Especially after getting Del Zotto who lets be honest brings what Demers would have brought.

It was Demers saying it so not a rumour. 

It happened on July 1st same day Canucks signed Delzotto. Maybe a few hours before the signing. Not that Delzotto signing would necessarily have any affect on this trade from Canucks point of view, NHL is all about speed and moving the puck from the back end which both those players do better than Gudbranson. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You can read in WHL Rocks' post that Demers himself confirmed that he vetoed a trade to Vancouver.

If he didn't want to be here, it's better the deal never went through.

22 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Demers should be fined for mentioning a specific player about a trade on the table that he nixed.  That is in the same  category that got Benning in hot water with regards to PK Subban.  

I believe Burke got in trouble when he was with the Leafs mentioning a couple of Canucks (Bieksa and the other name escapes me) offered to Tampa.  Pretty sure he was fined for it.

I'd like to give Gudbranson a healthy season before writing him off.  Coming to a new system, injured, with a complete idiot coaching the team isn't exactly a great position to be in.  He has a valuable skill-set that we'll miss dearly if we sell low on him.

• Upvote 4