The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Panthers-Canucks deal Demers nixed was for Gudbranson

Squamfan

It happened back in July. It was reported Demers nixed a deal to VAN, when asked Demers did not deny it. Then rumours came out that nixed deal was for Gudbranson. Now Demers told reporters that he nixed a deal to VAN for Gudbranson. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1376037

Jason Demers was nearly a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

The veteran defenseman told reporters Sunday that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon tried sending him to the Canucks to get blue-liner Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers turned it down, according to the Miami Herald's George Richards.

Demers has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of eight teams to which he can't be dealt, according to CapFriendly.

The Panthers shipped Gudbranson to the Canucks for center Jared McCann in May 2016.

Tallon reassumed Florida's GM position in April when Tom Rowe was reassigned.

Well damn, I'm glad Demers nixed a trade then... What's the point of giving up McCann for Gudbranson and then to only try and trade Guddy for an older vet who really doesn't possess anything different than what we already have.

Gudbranson gives us physicality, stay-at home type of game to our backend. Demers is another Edler/Tanev copy

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It happened back in July. It was reported Demers nixed a deal to VAN, when asked Demers did not deny it. Then rumours came out that nixed deal was for Gudbranson. Now Demers told reporters that he nixed a deal to VAN for Gudbranson. 

https://www.thescore.com/news/1376037

Jason Demers was nearly a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

The veteran defenseman told reporters Sunday that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon tried sending him to the Canucks to get blue-liner Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers turned it down, according to the Miami Herald's George Richards.

Demers has a modified no-trade clause that allows him to submit a list of eight teams to which he can't be dealt, according to CapFriendly.

The Panthers shipped Gudbranson to the Canucks for center Jared McCann in May 2016.

Tallon reassumed Florida's GM position in April when Tom Rowe was reassigned.

"according to [some Florida reporter]".  

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Well damn, I'm glad Demers nixed a trade then... What's the point of giving up McCann for Gudbranson and then to only try and trade Guddy for an older vet who really doesn't possess anything different than what we already have.

Gudbranson gives us physicality, stay-at home type of game to our backend. Demers is another Edler/Tanev copy

Unless it included a prospect or a pick back. But yeah, definitely glad if it was just for Demers.

what was the "+ Demers"? For sure Jim has another prospect or pick coming back in this one. Unless we know the other pieces its impossible to judge it. Florida ended up essentially cap dumping Demers today so despite the haters you have to think Jim had more pieces coming our way. 

Unless it also included one of their top prospects or a first I would have asked for Benning's resignation. I love what Gudbranson brings, not a huge fan of Demers. Deal makes no sense for us. Especially after getting Del Zotto who lets be honest brings what Demers would have brought.

Edit: Should also make a point of saying I don't really believe the rumor. 

I really like Demers, a whole lot more than Gudbranson, actually.

However, unless the "+" involved was somewhat enticing, it wouldn't have made any sense for the Canucks. A team that is full on rebuild shouldn't be trying to get marginally better right now.

The Gudbranson acquisition happened (unfortunately). Live with it and move on.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Unless it also included one of their top prospects or a first I would have asked for Benning's resignation. I love what Gudbranson brings, not a huge fan of Demers. Deal makes no sense for us. Especially after getting Del Zotto who lets be honest brings what Demers would have brought.

It was Demers saying it so not a rumour. 

It happened on July 1st same day Canucks signed Delzotto. Maybe a few hours before the signing. Not that Delzotto signing would necessarily have any affect on this trade from Canucks point of view, NHL is all about speed and moving the puck from the back end which both those players do better than Gudbranson. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You can read in WHL Rocks' post that Demers himself confirmed that he vetoed a trade to Vancouver.

If he didn't want to be here, it's better the deal never went through.

22 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Demers should be fined for mentioning a specific player about a trade on the table that he nixed.  That is in the same  category that got Benning in hot water with regards to PK Subban.  

I believe Burke got in trouble when he was with the Leafs mentioning a couple of Canucks (Bieksa and the other name escapes me) offered to Tampa.  Pretty sure he was fined for it.

Archived