The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Panthers-Canucks deal Demers nixed was for Gudbranson

Squamfan

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.  And not only this, but Tallon asking Demers if he'd be willing to go to Vancouver is simple due dilligence that a GM does before negotiating a deal - that Tallon may have been intending to target Gudbranson does not mean that Vancouver did or would agree to that deal.

It wasn't really a mystery however that Florida was looking to dump Demers.  The Reilly Smith deal was a hasty one - it really looks like Florida is looking to shed commitment$ / that ownership is backtracking on how 'all-in' they were going.

Demers turned out not to be the analytics darling they'd anticipated in Florida.  21st best underlying numbers on the Panthers, 4 pts more than Troy Stecher.... Imo his value just isn't going to return a Gudbranson.  In the end the odd thing is that they took a similarly weak return as in the Smith deal - taking back 3.5x2 in McGinn, but managing to shed the last two years of the Demers deal.

I don't blame Benning one bit if he were listening and talking to Tallon - the Panthers are a team that every shark should be circling right now - but I highly doubt it got to the stage of agreeing to terms on a Gudbranson deal when Demers was reportedly unwilling to waive in the first place (but then agreed to Arizona?).  So much smells in this story.

Like blue cheese left in the sun. 

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Wait... so Jason Demers prefers to live in a dumpster like Arizona instead of Vancouver? 

LOL! 

On a more serious note... it's not good that this has come out. Erik is on a 1 year deal and he's certainly not going to feel any more wanted after this. 

Arizona's a dumpster? Always hear good things about that place. 

Just figured he preferred dry desert sand over luscious greenery, mountains and ocean.

53 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Arizona's a dumpster? Always hear good things about that place. 

Just figured he preferred dry desert sand over luscious greenery, mountains and ocean.

Meh, not really I'm sure it's nice... especially if you're making Demers kinda money... close to 5 mill. I'm just a homer that says everywhere other than Canada sucks

No way we keep Gudbranson at the end of the year, he'll want way too much salary for what he's worth. Demers trade is not what I would have wanted - Gudbranson for a prospect would be nice (even if we retain salary!). The reality is he's a bottom pair/extra Dman on a competitive team. Not great defensively and non-existent offensively, on an expiring UFA deal. He doesn't command a lot.

I'd like to see him moved at the TDL after a solid year for a B+ prospect (assuming we retain 50%). If Philly are competitive I'd even look at adding a small amount to get Sanheim. Failing that, Allard from Nashville or even Spencer from Tampa would be nice prospects to add.

1 hour ago, EagleShield said:

No way we keep Gudbranson at the end of the year, he'll want way too much salary for what he's worth. Demers trade is not what I would have wanted - Gudbranson for a prospect would be nice (even if we retain salary!). The reality is he's a bottom pair/extra Dman on a competitive team. Not great defensively and non-existent offensively, on an expiring UFA deal. He doesn't command a lot.

I'd like to see him moved at the TDL after a solid year for a B+ prospect (assuming we retain 50%). If Philly are competitive I'd even look at adding a small amount to get Sanheim. Failing that, Allard from Nashville or even Spencer from Tampa would be nice prospects to add.

giphy.gif

The reality is he's a bottom pair/extra Dman on a competitive team.

On a Panthers playoff team (usually only 'competitive' teams make the playoffs FWIW), he played the most minutes on D of anyone on a pretty decent D core.

Now granted, he's not a #1D but I'd put him solidly in #3D territory with a $&!#e-tonne of grit and leadership. 

Bottom pair/spare my gluteus. 

The reality is he's a bottom pair/extra Dman on a competitive team.

Quads led all defencemen in TOI in the playoffs when Florida won the Atlantic Division a couple seasons ago.  Winning your division makes you a competitive team doesn't it? 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

On a Panthers playoff team (usually only 'competitive' teams make the playoffs FWIW), he played the most minutes on D of anyone on a pretty decent D core.

Now granted, he's not a #1D but I'd put him solidly in #3D territory with a $&!#e-tonne of grit and leadership. 

You beat me by 1 minute::D

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

maximus?

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, HI5 said:

What's a realistic return for Guddy at tdl?

70, 75 games

75 PIM

16 or 19 points

Kill some penalties.

Re-sign for 4 years

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Monty said:

Probably a late third. Expiring UFA who doesn't contribute offensively at all. If a team thinks they are a defensive defenseman away from winning the Cup, they'll likely use him on the bottom pairing.

No sense selling low

Why even speculate

I remember benning being on team1040 early this summer and they asked him if he had interest in trading gudbranson (beleive it was that dork pratt digging for something after tallon was brought back). Benning straight up said without hesitation that after losing sbisa and tryamkin that there was no way we would trade gudbranson. He said we need that physical component on the back end more than ever.

However if demers said it...:rolleyes:

I would love to know what Florida was adding to make this deal work.  

I think we need to see what Gudbranson does this year before he is labeled as a career #5 or 6.  Despite being in the league for a number of years, he is just entering his prime.   If he plays as a physical stay at home D and provides leadership and protection for our young skilled guys, I would have no problem with a 4 year deal at $4.5 mill.  

Archived