The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joffrey Lupul calls out Leafs on Instagram, says they cheat

Joffrey Lupul called out the Toronto Maple Leafs for their treatment of the winger on Sunday, saying the team cheats with the way it uses long-term injured reserve.

Lupul hasn’t played since Feb. 6, 2016, being sent off to what’s been named “Robidas Island”, where the Leafs put their unwanted contracts on LTIR for cap relief.

Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello told media that Lupul had failed his physical at training camp on Thursday, something the 33-year-old refuted on Instagram.

In a comment to a photo he posted, he told a fan that he’s “ready… Just awaiting the call.”

When someone pointed out his failed physical, he responded: “Haha failed physical? They cheat, everyone lets them.”

Screen-Shot-2017-09-17-at-8.48.11-PM.png

The comments make Lupul the latest to criticize the Leafs for the way they manage their reportedly injured players, with defenceman Jared Cowen calling his buyout process a “joke” on Friday. 

The 2017-18 season will be the final one of a five-year contract Lupul signed with the Leafs that carries a $5.25-million cap hit. 

You have to wonder what the future holds for the five-time 20-goal scorer, who will be motivated to prove he’s not done playing at the game’s highest level yet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joffrey-lupul-calls-leafs-instagram-says-cheat/

To my knowledge it is now

Lupul

Cowan

Clarkson

Robidas

And 1 random prospect/AHL player that have made the claim about the Leafs cheating using LTIR and cap circumvention.

The league allows this for specific teams.  The Leafs, Bruins did it, Kings did it and most famously for us watching the Hawks do it with Huet...

What I want to know is what are Lupuls options here.  Is it a Leafs dr that did his testing?  Being sidelined for almost 2 years for a "sports hernia" is highly questionable at best. While Lous is only doing his job and doing it well it just rubs me wrong knowing if the Nucks were doing this the league would be demanding secondary testing

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

To my knowledge it is now

Lupul

Cowan

Clarkson

Robidas

And 1 random prospect/AHL player that have made the claim about the Leafs cheating using LTIR and cap circumvention.

The league allows this for specific teams.  The Leafs, Bruins did it, Kings did it and most famously for us watching the Hawks do it with Huet...

What I want to know is what are Lupuls options here.  Is it a Leafs dr that did his testing?  Being sidelined for almost 2 years for a "sports hernia" is highly questionable at best. While Lous is only doing his job and doing it well it just rubs me wrong knowing if the Nucks were doing this the league would be demanding secondary testing

Didn't Lou cost Jersey a draft pick for doing something sneaky with Kovelchuk's contract?  

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't Lou cost Jersey a draft pick for doing something sneaky with Kovelchuk's contract?  

Yup, Bettman took away their 1st round pick to show he runs a tight ship and nobody gets away with anything under his watch. Problem is, when it came time to pay up, Bettmen conveniently knuckled under and gave it back to them. Surprise!

Needless to say, NHL teams are not happy with the leagues decision to let the Devils off the hook.

41 minutes ago, khay said:

The curse of Bambino, curse of the Billy the goat. Boston and Chicago have suffered from the curses for pissing off one guy. Toronto Maple Leafs have pissed off how many guys now? Should be like 500 years worth of curse. 

That would be the greatest thing ever

Lou set up an obviously shy*e contract designed for Bettman to take the whole scam down. Every US team has worked around this so far, prob we'll get burned worse than any other(no loop-holes for Van)

Then Lamo gets a cushy, well-paid position in the COTU, to reinforce his puck-legacy.

Old boy's club, returning favours in kind.

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Hossa is allergic to equipment, but if Luongo were to retire at 40 we have a $6m cap hit. Screw bettman. 

The pending Luongo situation scares me. I don't know the legal ramification but I would think that there are grounds to pursue legal actions if the league imposed the penalty, considering Luongo signed the contract prior to the new CBA rules being implemented.

Archived