The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joffrey Lupul calls out Leafs on Instagram, says they cheat

All this sketchy activity I constantly see from US teams just makes me more apprehensive about the Luongo situation. If the Canucks get screwed over for a contract that was perfectly legal at the time it was signed when all these other teams dance around the rules, it's the last straw for me when it comes to caring about the NHL. So much blind favouritism and old boy's BS its hard to give it any respect or credibility.

Apparently he can get a second opinion from a doctor of his choice. If his doctor and team doctor can't come to a shared conclusion an independent third doctor is the tie breaker on the ruling. 

I'm guessing he's already done that and just pissed he can't get a crack at another contract afterthis season.

4 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Screw Lupul, lost all respect for him after he tried to take out Henrik. At least he hit that clown Kadri.

I agree, screw Lupul. But I hope he screws the Leafs with him. Not that I'm expecting anything to come of this, especially considering how Toronto is involved.

10 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Yup, Bettman took away their 1st round pick to show he runs a tight ship and nobody gets away with anything under his watch. Problem is, when it came time to pay up, Bettmen conveniently knuckled under and gave it back to them. Surprise!

Needless to say, NHL teams are not happy with the leagues decision to let the Devils off the hook.

Yet, the Canucks are stuck with Luongo's contract, FOREVER. But every other team gets a pass. 

Although nothing will likely come of this from the league, this will have negative consequences for the Leafs in their ability to attract free agents.

I mean, Lupul was one of Toronto's most productive players for multiple seasons. He definitely earned the contract they gave him. But now he claims he is unjustly being forced to sit out during one of the few hockey playing years he has left. And he's one of multiple players who have made a similar accusation.

For a UFA, who is already in the back half of their career...signing a long-term deal with a franchise that is so willing to effectively end your career because you got injured playing for them (which affected your production, but they are unwilling to just buy you out because of the cap hit) would be a scary proposition. Lupul may not be the one getting blacklisted here.

13 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The pending Luongo situation scares me. I don't know the legal ramification but I would think that there are grounds to pursue legal actions if the league imposed the penalty, considering Luongo signed the contract prior to the new CBA rules being implemented.

why do people keep suggesting this

it is idiocy

the league teams, league management, players all agreed to this outcome in the last collective agreement

so you think the canucks should sue themselves for being stupid?

there is no one to sue here

everyone agreed to a new collective agreement containing these terms

end of story

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Although nothing will likely come of this from the league, this will have negative consequences for the Leafs in their ability to attract free agents.

I mean, Lupul was one of Toronto's most productive players for multiple seasons. He definitely earned the contract they gave him. But now he claims he is unjustly being forced to sit out during one of the few hockey playing years he has left. And he's one of multiple players who have made a similar accusation.

For a UFA, who is already in the back half of their career...signing a long-term deal with a franchise that is so willing to effectively end your career because you got injured playing for them (which affected your production, but they are unwilling to just buy you out because of the cap hit) would be a scary proposition. Lupul may not be the one getting blacklisted here.

Didn't stop Marleau from signing there.

We'd all like to think it'll have some repercussions, but many players will either not care or forget... or actuality want to visit Robidas island. 

22 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Didn't stop Marleau from signing there.

We'd all like to think it'll have some repercussions, but many players will either not care or forget... or actuality want to visit Robidas island. 

People said the same thing about the Flyers when they signed Richards and Carter, gave them NTCs and then traded them the next summer before they would kick in. Carter was especially ticked off as he had signed on to stay in Philly for 10+ years and was suddenly on a bottom feeding Jackets team in Ohio. Players don't really seem care unless they are in the same circumstances. They are all in it for themselves, and that is what gives owners the biggest advantage in any negotiation. 

I look at the NFL with article 46 and none of them cared to fight it and just took the money because the majority of them don't think it will have any effect on them.

Archived