Sign in to follow this  
kingofsurrey

BC has officially become a Banana Republic

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC has officially  become a Banana Republic

Big Oil and Gas Helped Shape BC’s Climate Plan

 

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/09/18/Big-Oil-Gas-Shaped-BC-Climate-Plan/

 

You do realize this was done by the Liberals, right?  If the NDP/Greens were willing to put a freeze on Site C, this is definitely going to be scrapped.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, inane said:

Yeah you're a bit late with this lol

Info now just becoming public.

 

Pretty depressing to read about it after the summer of Fires we just had.....   

Makes BC look like a joke of a province. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The legacy Kristy Klaerke

 

Keeping low profile knee pads relevant

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The legacy Kristy Klaerke

 

Keeping low profile knee pads relevant

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The legacy Kristy Klaerke

 

Keeping low profile knee pads relevant

Yup.  BC Ministry of Education is working on healthy eating curriculum for middle school kids...

 

Ministry of Ed is working with McDonalds, Burger King , Krispy Kreme  Donuts,  and  Panago Pizza on the curriculum......     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you surprised? i'm not a fan of any political party, if you ask me they are all crooks. But the B.C. liberals seriously sold out the people of this province in many ways that we will discover soon enough. The worst if you ask me is not doing anything to stop foreigners from buying up lower mainland real estate making home ownership much more difficult for actual citizens of this province. They did nothing about it because they were all profiting, Mike deJong in particular. These rat bastards happily sold us out to make themselves rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Violator said:

Could you find a publication thats farther left.

Mainstream media / journalists  in BC have  sold out each and every citizen of this province.....

 

You have to seek out truth where ever you can in BC.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Mainstream media / journalists  in BC have  sold out each and every citizen of this province.....

 

You have to seek out truth where ever you can in BC.  

 

Tyee is paid by big american oil.Then given to tyee through the tides foundation.

 

http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/ten-reasons-to-inquire-re-tcf.html

Edited by Violator
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would inviting the largest carbon producers to meet about reducing carbon be wrong exactly? The document was titled "consulting with industry." Its not going to happen without government and industry working together. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking News: Governments act in their own self interest, and prefer to consult with industry rather than the general public. In other news, the sky remains blue and is not falling despite the despondent claims of Chicken Little.

Seriously, this is not shocking, not one bit. This kind of behaviour will only continue, we pay our taxes but our voices are but a whisper in the winds of greed and collusion. Big government does not work, every facet of the government should, no must be overseen by public oversight committees; not appointed by chosen at random from census and election participants.

These committees should be rotated on a regular basis, and would have to give a unanimous decision on any major legislative or financial proposals before they move forward for the parliamentary process. Any amendments must be approved by the committee as well. Each committee would be accompanied by a member of the bar association to act as an interpreter of the legal and technical aspects of legislation and help to communicate what these things mean in plain english so that anyone could understand what they mean.

For situations where the committee cannot reach a unanimous consensus, the matter should either be retracted for consideration by the government, or if significant/important enough provide opportunity for a non-binding public referendum.

The only way for government to be legitimately reformed is if the general public has a far more hands on influence into how the government acts and conducts itself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Mainstream media / journalists  in BC have  sold out each and every citizen of this province.....

 

You have to seek out truth where ever you can in BC.  

 

And this is the truth?

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Breaking News: Governments act in their own self interest, and prefer to consult with industry rather than the general public. In other news, the sky remains blue and is not falling despite the despondent claims of Chicken Little.

Seriously, this is not shocking, not one bit. This kind of behaviour will only continue, we pay our taxes but our voices are but a whisper in the winds of greed and collusion. Big government does not work, every facet of the government should, no must be overseen by public oversight committees; not appointed by chosen at random from census and election participants.

These committees should be rotated on a regular basis, and would have to give a unanimous decision on any major legislative or financial proposals before they move forward for the parliamentary process. Any amendments must be approved by the committee as well. Each committee would be accompanied by a member of the bar association to act as an interpreter of the legal and technical aspects of legislation and help to communicate what these things mean in plain english so that anyone could understand what they mean.

For situations where the committee cannot reach a unanimous consensus, the matter should either be retracted for consideration by the government, or if significant/important enough provide opportunity for a non-binding public referendum.

The only way for government to be legitimately reformed is if the general public has a far more hands on influence into how the government acts and conducts itself.

So your idea of government is run by a bunch of non elected committe members, why have elections then?..Now that's a perfect banana republic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Violator said:

Tyee is paid by big american oil.Then given to tyee through the tides foundation.

 

http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/ten-reasons-to-inquire-re-tcf.html

A banana republic would not consult with business before implementing the carbon tax.

 

KOS is anxious to send as many Canadian dollars as possible to the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, instead of to our needy school system. Hopefully he reads your link, especially the first point, and most especially it's last sentence.

 

Meanwhile, the U.S. is ready to open drilling in ANWAR, and Saudi markets in Asia and eastern Canada remain secure.  

 

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Breaking News: Governments act in their own self interest, and prefer to consult with industry rather than the general public. 

Seriously, this is not shocking, not one bit. This kind of behaviour will only continue, we pay our taxes but our voices are but a whisper in the winds of greed and collusion. Big government does not work, every facet of the government should, no must be overseen by public oversight committees; not appointed by chosen at random from census and election participants.


The only way for government to be legitimately reformed is if the general public has a far more hands on influence into how the government acts and conducts itself.

So... going for respectful debate here so please take this in that light. 

 

Please explain what is inherently wrong with government and industry working together? Government does not have the resources to oversee everything a business does, nor should it. Not everything is pure "greed and collusion" companies are there to make money, your pension depends on it e.g. 

 

We do not need more committees. Effective regulation and auditing is far more effective than committees that meet a few times a year (maybe) with people that don't have an on-the-ground understanding of a particular industry. 

 

We actually have far more influence in BC than many people realize. We are the only province with an MLA recall procedure e.g. We do not need more legislation, we need people to pay more attention and use the tools at hand already. 

 

I think this story is a good example of the faux conflict that runs through the left circles on government "vs" industry. It really isn't that way at all, nor should it be. By law public companies have to maximize shareholder value, and having a good working relationship with local governments is part of that, its not some back room evil collusion thing. What possible relevance could come from consulting the "general public" over industry-specific issues that the general public may have no idea about? 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ice orca said:

So your idea of government is run by a bunch of non elected committe members, why have elections then?..Now that's a perfect banana republic.

The committee would not in any way run the government. They would simply be a check and balance against the government doing what they do, since they can't be trusted to act in the public's best interest.

Basically, it was just an example of how we as the general public can have more influence beside just voting which seems to have lost its impact, to ensure better transparency and openness about the government. Secret meetings, handshake deals, favourable legislation for industry is all bad for the general public who trust the government and for the most part pay their taxes in good faith.

The problem though, is when the government on the other hand does not uphold its promises, or maliciously does something underhanded, there are no repercussions to be had, and if there are, no where near the full weight of what they should be under the law. Do you think the little guy who refuses to pay tax, or anything else of that nature out of principle is let off easy?

It's a double standard of accountability, and it needs to change. The government is not above the common person, although holding a much higher degree of responsibility. They would do well to remember that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read over this.

 

Optically it's bad.  Allowing energy producers to dictate climate change policy

 

Except....they didn't.  They were there to refine the language and to help ensure that the resource economy was still functioning and viable and that the plan included language that allowed for continued development WHILE pairing down emissions and moving towards a greener energy infrastructure.

 

At no point did they dictate policy as per the NDP's report, the ombudsman in charge nor the energy commission itself.

 

Honestly.  Aside from keeping ti under wraps and not telling anyone it is only common sense that you include those most at fault for Greenhouse Gas emissions in any climate plan or agreement.  Even if it is just to help refine the language in the terms themself

 

Would be like holding CBA talks but not including the players

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.