The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your unpopular opinion?

Kaner

What is your unpopular opinion regarding the NHL? It can be anything, as long as it isn't popular! 

I personally think that it's stupid that the only reason offersheeting an RFA doesn't really happen anymore is because of "the old boys club" that is what the NHL has become. I think as a GM, you should be doing everything you can to improve your hockey club, and avoiding one thing in particular because it might "ruffle some feathers" seems silly to me.

5 minutes ago, Kaner said:

What is your unpopular opinion regarding the NHL? It can be anything, as long as it isn't popular! 

I personally think that it's stupid that the only reason offersheeting an RFA doesn't really happen anymore is because of "the old boys club" that is what the NHL has become. I think as a GM, you should be doing everything you can to improve your hockey club, and avoiding one thing in particular because it might "ruffle some feathers" seems silly to me.

I think nobody offer sheets because it never works.  The offer is almost always matched.  Besides, it pisses other GM's off and being a GM means that you have to have decent relationships with the others in order to make deals.

I have a few that come to mind.

1. Drew Doughty is overrated.

2. Brad Marchand is underrated as a defensive forward. I'd say he's one of the top 10, if not top 5 best defensive forwards in the league.

3. While still good, neither Kopitar or Toews are elite forwards in the NHL anymore, even when just looking at defense.

4. Horvat's defense has been sub-par in his last few years.

5. Mark Giordano is among the best well-rounded defensemen in the NHL.

6. Gary Bettman has not done a bad job as the NHL Commissioner (the owners are to blame for a lot of the poor decisions, not Bettman)

I could go on, but they start to get less dramatic and unpopular eventually.

I could care less about fights. Get rid of them. Boost your team's spirits by playing better, fighting just seems so dumb lol. 

I'd like the ice surface to be a bit bigger (not Europe size, but a little bigger) , I find the small surface tends to slow the flow of the game. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

1) Crosby is the best defensive forward in the NHL. It's a joke he doesn't win the Selke.

2) Screening the goalie should be counted as the secondary assist.

3) Matthews is better than McDavid.

Amen to #3!

Mine would be:

1. Scrap penalty shots

2. Add a 32nd team and make it a 32 team playoff. Top 8 get a bye, the other 24 compete to meet them there. No more tanking!

3. Remove the penalty box. Players go back to their benches, any player can come in at the end of the penalty.

18 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Amen to #3!

Mine would be:

1. Scrap penalty shots

2. Add a 32nd team and make it a 32 team playoff. Top 8 get a bye, the other 24 compete to meet them there. No more tanking!

3. Remove the penalty box. Players go back to their benches, any player can come in at the end of the penalty.

Your #3 is Def unpopular :P haha

Mine unpopukar opinion would be that the "old boys club" hasnt really existed for 20 years.  I have trouble believing that 24 owners are just waiting around for the 7 "popular" kids to make all the decisions for them and tell them how the league will be run.  These owners are all egotistical billionaires....they didn't get to be billionaires by just laying there and taking it up the azz from others.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Your #3 is Def unpopular :P haha

If I'm coach, and a player takes a sloppy penalty, I want to punish him for that, not reward him with immediate ice time.

Imagine being on the PP but knowing that in 10 seconds' time it won't be Patrik Berglund coming on, but Tarasenko. Just waiting for that quick outlet pass. Or instead of Bryan Rust, Sidney Crosby.

PP teams would have to play a lot smarter, and the PK team has an opportunity to turn a penalty into a positive. Makes it more exciting and much less formulaic.

Things to scrap:

1. National anthem ceremony's.

2. Offside rule.

3. Charitable events (Don't care if Org's/Players want to get evolved with whatever project they want on their own time, but the way it's propagated in sports like a lame NGO leaves a bad taste in my mouth.)

4. Salary Cap (rule needs to be more modified, than scrapped).

5. Teams receiving public subsidies.

6. Broadcasting Don Cherry

7. Shoot out OT. Regular season should have the same rules as the playoffs.

- All new arenas have to have the ability to hold 20,0000 fans and international ice. 

- Dump 3 teams, hold an expansion draft, and a 20 year ban on expansion. Florida, choice of New Jersey or Islanders, and Arizona. 

- If Quebec City wants a team, buy Carolina. 

- If Seattle wants a team, buy Vegas when it hopefully fails. 

- I also predict Vegas will be popular until the NFL moves in. Once that's done, the team will struggle to fill seats. 

Archived