The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your unpopular opinion?

Kaner

2 hours ago, Boris Badenov said:

Things to scrap:

1. National anthem ceremony's.

2. Offside rule.

3. Charitable events (Don't care if Org's/Players want to get evolved with whatever project they want on their own time, but the way it's propagated in sports like a lame NGO leaves a bad taste in my mouth.)

4. Salary Cap (rule needs to be more modified, than scrapped).

5. Teams receiving public subsidies.

6. Broadcasting Don Cherry

7. Shoot out OT. Regular season should have the same rules as the playoffs.

Get rid of national anthem

Get rid of salary cap

A player passes to another player who passes it back to same player who scores gets a second assist

Mike gillis was a good gm

League should contract,  not expand.

Bettman has virtually no real authority/decision making power - everything he's done whether it's good or bad for the game has come at the direct result of the owners orders.

I don't care about growing the game in the US or internationally.

Our refs are not the best in sports - they are often spiteful,  vendictive and downright incompetent. 

The league rigged the playoffs so Dallas could win it that year because it was an emerging market. 

US teams get preferential treatment in many many ways. 

I'm worried Boeser is overrated as are many of our prospects and we'll toil in mediocrity for eternity. 

my only pet peeve is the salary structure. players are always saying, they want to get paid what their worth. that goes both ways. i'ld rather see players earn their salaries. if players get paid what they are worth, ticket prices wouldn't be so high. if a player has more than one sub par year, their pay check should reflect it. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

- All new arenas have to have the ability to hold 20,0000 fans and international ice. 

- Dump 3 teams, hold an expansion draft, and a 20 year ban on expansion. Florida, choice of New Jersey or Islanders, and Arizona. 

- If Quebec City wants a team, buy Carolina. 

- If Seattle wants a team, buy Vegas when it hopefully fails. 

- I also predict Vegas will be popular until the NFL moves in. Once that's done, the team will struggle to fill seats. 

I dont think your second statement is all that unpopular....

......except with NHLPA.

1. Change the playoff format.  First overall should play 16th, Second Overall should play 15th overall etc. Who cares about the travel.

2. The league should go back to the old draft lottery odds (prior to the terrible cOilers of deadmonton raping the system) and then implement a rule where you cant win the lotto more than 2 times in 5 years.  Thanks mostly to the terrible cOilers of deadmonton the league changed the draft lotto rules which resulted in teams like Vancouver and Colorado not even getting to pick top 3 last year.

5 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Mine unpopukar opinion would be that the "old boys club" hasnt really existed for 20 years.  I have trouble believing that 24 owners are just waiting around for the 7 "popular" kids to make all the decisions for them and tell them how the league will be run.  These owners are all egotistical billionaires....they didn't get to be billionaires by just laying there and taking it up the azz from others.

you're forgetting that the league bureaucracy is a small collection of close friends and family connected to mostly O6/eastern teams. When the league office has a close connection to Boston e.g., do you really think "fair" is possible when it comes to guys like Marchand?

Mine is the new rule changes on "slashing" and face-offs. These are designed to favour less experienced players like McDavid (who sucks on the dot) and is going to be able to draw a penalty now on any stick that even comes close to contact. I bet you a coke that we'll see penalties drawn by him and Matthews for sticks that don't even make contact with them on video review. It also makes it extremely easy for the refs to call penalties late in games too, another thing we will see. 

The face-off changes are even worse, they are going to be kicking out and penalizing better face off Cs which will allow McPouty and Matthews to do better on face-offs. 

I don't think you should get credit for a goal or an assist unless the puck touched your stick.

For example: a player standing in front of the net has the puck rebound off his a$$ / arm / face / leg / wherever and go in the net.  You aren't allowed to intentionally use a body part to redirect the puck in the net so in order for that goal to be legal it must be unintentional.  So if it was unintentional, why should he get credit for the goal?  The guy who banked the puck off another guy in order to score should get the credit.

1.  I think the belief that TSN/Sportsnet give to much leaf coverage is overblown.  It's the largest demographic in canada and fits their corporate head offices being in an eastern time zone.  Sucks but meh

2.  I think Calgary is building a great team and I am pissed that we didn't take Olatts Mattson (was screaming for him 3 years ago) and traded the 2nd round pick that became Andersson

3.  The Canucks deserved to lose the 2011 SCF.  Boston just beat us in to the dirt.  We HAD the players to counter but management and coaching NEVER made the changes to the line up in game 6 and 7 to reflect that.

4.  Mike Gillis did a world of good for this team which benning came and messed up in part.

5.  Our prospect pool isn't nearly as awesome and deep as people really say it is.  We're 2 good drafts in when other teams are 4 and 5 and actually competing.

6.  I am entertained when I watch Oilers games :(

get rid of the loser point and the shootout. 5 on 5 ot for 7 minutes. if it ends in tie, each team gets 1 point. move on to the next game. it's regular season, no need to overdramatize it.

3 on 3 ot is an absolute embarrassment. 

bring back the old playoff format with a slight change; no divisions, just conferences. top 8 teams in each conference with the highest point total make the playoffs, not because you win your stupid division.

i miss the old, baggy, greatly designed nike jerseys. hate the reebok era, hate almost every team's jersey in the league, even the ones that didn't change their logo 

i can't stand non-hockey markets having nhl teams. relocate and fold and reduce to a league of 24 or 25 teams asap

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

1.  I think the belief that TSN/Sportsnet give to much leaf coverage is overblown.  It's the largest demographic in canada and fits their corporate head offices being in an eastern time zone.  Sucks but meh

2.  I think Calgary is building a great team and I am pissed that we didn't take Olatts Mattson (was screaming for him 3 years ago) and traded the 2nd round pick that became Andersson

3.  The Canucks deserved to lose the 2011 SCF.  Boston just beat us in to the dirt.  We HAD the players to counter but management and coaching NEVER made the changes to the line up in game 6 and 7 to reflect that.

4.  Mike Gillis did a world of good for this team which benning came and messed up in part.

5.  Our prospect pool isn't nearly as awesome and deep as people really say it is.  We're 2 good drafts in when other teams are 4 and 5 and actually competing.

6.  I am entertained when I watch Oilers games :(

:lol: been waiting a while to come out with all this? holy cow Hip. 

Alright, you asked for it:

• Our jerseys are hideous
  • We have the worst fanbase in the league(whiny trolls, bandwagoners,suits, etc.)
  • Benning will be fired in the offseason
  • The product on the ice is terrible to watch, only the dead-puck era was worse
  • Hockey needs fighting and enforcers
  • Henrik Sedin is overrated in terms of leadership
  • I hate the new OT rules, just do 5min OT bring back ties
  • Firing Gillis was a colossal mistake

Ah felt kind of good getting that off my chest. 

Archived