The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your unpopular opinion?

Kaner

I think players who have been in trouble with the law should not be allowed to play in the NHL.  Guys like Patrick Kane for example, should have been tossed out of the league.  Plus, the punishment should be extended to their team retroactively.  Any Cup that player (like Patrick Kane) won should be removed from the records, and the team lose their coming first round pick. 

This would force teams to uphold a higher standard for off-ice behavior.  

I am really hoping this is unpopular:)

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

1.  I think the belief that TSN/Sportsnet give to much leaf coverage is overblown.  It's the largest demographic in canada and fits their corporate head offices being in an eastern time zone.  Sucks but meh

2.  I think Calgary is building a great team and I am pissed that we didn't take Olatts Mattson (was screaming for him 3 years ago) and traded the 2nd round pick that became Andersson

3.  The Canucks deserved to lose the 2011 SCF.  Boston just beat us in to the dirt.  We HAD the players to counter but management and coaching NEVER made the changes to the line up in game 6 and 7 to reflect that.

4.  Mike Gillis did a world of good for this team which benning came and messed up in part.

5.  Our prospect pool isn't nearly as awesome and deep as people really say it is.  We're 2 good drafts in when other teams are 4 and 5 and actually competing.

6.  I am entertained when I watch Oilers games :(

I can honestly say that I do not even remotely agree with anything you said there.

6 hours ago, Boris Badenov said:

Things to scrap:

1. National anthem ceremony's.

2. Offside rule.

3. Charitable events (Don't care if Org's/Players want to get evolved with whatever project they want on their own time, but the way it's propagated in sports like a lame NGO leaves a bad taste in my mouth.)

4. Salary Cap (rule needs to be more modified, than scrapped).

5. Teams receiving public subsidies.

6. Broadcasting Don Cherry

7. Shoot out OT. Regular season should have the same rules as the playoffs.

Amen to #1.  Unless it is a national team game what is the point of having a collection of players from around the world stand for the American and Canadian national anthem each game?  I purposely miss the opening of any hockey game I watch on TV, attend live so I don't have to sit through it.  I just want to watch a hockey game.

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have a few that come to mind.

1. Drew Doughty is overrated.

2. Brad Marchand is underrated as a defensive forward. I'd say he's one of the top 10, if not top 5 best defensive forwards in the league.

3. While still good, neither Kopitar or Toews are elite forwards in the NHL anymore, even when just looking at defense.

4. Horvat's defense has been sub-par in his last few years.

5. Mark Giordano is among the best well-rounded defensemen in the NHL.

6. Gary Bettman has not done a bad job as the NHL Commissioner (the owners are to blame for a lot of the poor decisions, not Bettman)

I could go on, but they start to get less dramatic and unpopular eventually.

I've had this argument with friends.  Toews is for some reason an untouchable legend.  Remember when people thought he should captain team Canada and not Crosby?  Without Patrick Kane and Duncun Keith, Toews has a average NHL career and doesn't make the hall of fame.    

Mike Babcock is the most overrated coach in the NHL.  

Won a cup with Lindstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.  Won Olympic gold with a team that far outclassed anyone else.  Managed to be bad enough to draft Matthews.  Get lucky with Marner and have Anderson play out of his head last year.  Its easy to be a good coach when you are surrounded by elite talent.  He couldn't get out of Detroit fast enough once the roster was depleted.    

This one will be seriously unpopular.

Gary Bettman has done a great job of doing what he was hired to do.

...I still hate him, but he is a conduit for hate to take the pressure off owners, and has been a part of the massive growth of the NHL.  Hate him or hate him, but it's true.

This isn't NHL related, but will be unpopular nonetheless.  I hate Paul McCartney.

1. Fighting should be heavily disciplined. Once a player drops his gloves to fight he should be ejected from the game. If the fight occurs in the 3rd period, that player is also suspended for the following game. They're trying to rid head shots in the league, so stop punching players in the head.

2. Mark Messier was a great player, just not for the Canucks

3. If the Canucks re-sign the Sedins, it should be no more than one year and $3 million per player.

4. As long as Henrik's here, he's the Captain.

5. Rodin, at his age, is a failed experiment. 

6. So far, as I can tell, Juolevi is over-rated

7. Linden is the only Canucks player worthy of having his jersey retired. Bure, Naslund and Smyl should be in the RoH.

8. Only goalies should be allowed in the blue paint. If an opposing player steps into the blue paint, he should be given a 2 minute trespassing penalty.

9. Games shouldn't be decided by shootout. Play a full 4th OT period 4-on-4, until someone scores. If no one scores in the 4th, then have a 5th with 3-on-3. 

1. Crosby is over hyped and is the media darling... refs and the league bow down to him. Luongo was the golden boy in 2010... not No Show Crosby. 
  2. Ryan Miller is more man than you are. Whoever you are... IDC, he's more MAN! 
  3. Jayson Megna is underrated.
  4. Vancouvers current goalie tandem is too good looking to also be good at hockey... we may be in trouble this year 
  5. Babcock is garbage. 
  6. Mike Gillis = :goat:
  7. The NHL discriminates against AV because he's the best looking coach of all time 
  8. They should remove the instigator rule and have more fighting. Let the players police head shots. 

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Here is one that is sort of hockey related

I dont mind Pratt and Jake in the morning on 1040.  At least those guys have a pulse and personality, and being the age I am I dont mind the old school humour.

Living in Edmonton for the past year and a half and having to endure TSN 1260, I can assure the local crew is no better than their TSN 1040 counterparts. They try to be funny and edgy but it's the same blueprint across the board. Spam you with the same interviews/interviewees, get off topic, inundate you with the local sports teams info, ignore every other sports league not named NHL or CFL, etc. etc.

1) Get Tavares if he hits UFA

2) Do not resign the Sedins, its time for the kids to play... unless we trade Erickson contract (freeing 6 mill)

3) I want the Canucks Farm Team in Abbotsford :(

4) Luongo is the best goalie we had, our forward group lost us the cup

5) Get rid of shootouts + Regulation W - 3 Points, OT W - 2 points, OT L 1 point, Lose 0 points..

1 hour ago, apollo said:
  1. Crosby is over hyped and is the media darling... refs and the league bow down to him. Luongo was the golden boy in 2010... not No Show Crosby. 
  2. Ryan Miller is more man than you are. Whoever you are... IDC, he's more MAN! 
  3. Jayson Megna is underrated.
  4. Vancouvers current goalie tandem is too good looking to also be good at hockey... we may be in trouble this year 
  5. Babcock is garbage. 
  6. Mike Gillis = :goat:
  7. The NHL discriminates against AV because he's the best looking coach of all time 
  8. They should remove the instigator rule and have more fighting. Let the players police head shots. 

#7 is only applicable because Ron Duguay never got into coaching.  I miss no helmets and great hair!

Some more

1. Both Seattle and Quebec City are bad expansion markets for different reasons.

2. Toews is the most overrated player in the league, and has been for a long time.

3. Vancouver does not have a bad fanbase

4. Goalies who hit  or take shots at players are dirty and cowardly, not tough and should not be celebrated as such.

5. Its okay be somewhat cautious about drafting Russians.

6. Conversely, Russians shouldn't be lambasted for going back to Russia. If they have an opportunity to make decent money in their home rather than deal with all the rigmarole that comes with playing in a foreign culture, not many people here would miss that opportunity either.

I will be bitter forever that we did not draft Ehlers. I watched him play most games in Halifax and this guy was one of the best prospects I have ever seen, he literally skated circled around opponents! Baffles me how he didn't go top 3 let alone us passing over him! 

Also, I truly believe the Canucks could scrap into the playoffs this year (with a bit of luck and things falling in our favour...)

Here's an opinion of mine that was wildly unpopular when I stated it a few years ago-

NHL should contract back to 8-10 teams that can support themselves. Those teams would be so loaded with talent that all this bush league bs would sort itself out resulting in utterly amazing hockey.

Archived