The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your unpopular opinion?

Kaner

22 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Here's an opinion of mine that was wildly unpopular when I stated it a few years ago-

NHL should contract back to 8-10 teams that can support themselves. Those teams would be so loaded with talent that all this bush league bs would sort itself out resulting in utterly amazing hockey.

That's still pretty unpopular

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Alright, you asked for it:

• Our jerseys are hideous
  • We have the worst fanbase in the league(whiny trolls, bandwagoners,suits, etc.)
  • Benning will be fired in the offseason
  • The product on the ice is terrible to watch, only the dead-puck era was worse
  • Hockey needs fighting and enforcers
  • Henrik Sedin is overrated in terms of leadership
  • I hate the new OT rules, just do 5min OT bring back ties
  • Firing Gillis was a colossal mistake

Ah felt kind of good getting that off my chest. 

Lol.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. Fighting should be heavily disciplined. Once a player drops his gloves to fight he should be ejected from the game. If the fight occurs in the 3rd period, that player is also suspended for the following game. They're trying to rid head shots in the league, so stop punching players in the head.

2. Mark Messier was a great player, just not for the Canucks

3. If the Canucks re-sign the Sedins, it should be no more than one year and $3 million per player.

4. As long as Henrik's here, he's the Captain.

5. Rodin, at his age, is a failed experiment. 

6. So far, as I can tell, Juolevi is over-rated

7. Linden is the only Canucks player worthy of having his jersey retired. Bure, Naslund and Smyl should be in the RoH.

8. Only goalies should be allowed in the blue paint. If an opposing player steps into the blue paint, he should be given a 2 minute trespassing penalty.

9. Games shouldn't be decided by shootout. Play a full 4th OT period 4-on-4, until someone scores. If no one scores in the 4th, then have a 5th with 3-on-3. 

Over half of these are not unpopular opinions....

Do people really think that the shootout is popular?

unpopular? ok

1. I like Don Cherry

2. Jeff Paterson is an excellent broadcaster and I look forward to hearing him on the radio

3. I like the Provies

4. National anthems before games are stupid, post 9/11 God Bless America in 7th inning stretch in baseball is even stupider

5. No to overseas NHL expansion (goes for NFL too)

6. Shorty is overrated, so is Jim Hughson (since joining HNIC)

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

At least I played along.

You didnt write anything remotely unpopular.

Go on, be brave.

No need to get upset. You're not under attack and there's nothing "brave" about your opinion. Pretty sure steroid legalization is still vastly more controversial than league contraction.

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're forgetting that the league bureaucracy is a small collection of close friends and family connected to mostly O6/eastern teams. When the league office has a close connection to Boston e.g., do you really think "fair" is possible when it comes to guys like Marchand?

Well, its all a matter of opinion.  And in my opinion.....i just cant see a successful billionaire, after years of apparently getting screwed over by a small group of men; not only gladly start taking sh*t from their kids too, but keep investing their money into a league that's obviously going to perpetually treat them like the league's b*tch.  That doesnt sound like something a billionaire would let happen.

Just curious.....who exactly are the owners of the "old boys club", and how did they get that membership card?

24 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

No need to get upset. You're not under attack and there's nothing "brave" about your opinion. Pretty sure steroid legalization is still vastly more controversial than league contraction.

Haha, that's awesome!

Was just being a bit trolly, no big deal.

Did someone actually promote steroid use? Hilarious!

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Here's an opinion of mine that was wildly unpopular when I stated it a few years ago-

NHL should contract back to 8-10 teams that can support themselves. Those teams would be so loaded with talent that all this bush league bs would sort itself out resulting in utterly amazing hockey.

While i agree it would make for some good hockey.....but uh, only 10 teams?  15 teams last year averaged a sell-out.  Which 5 teams that sold out every game would you recommend be eliminated?  

4 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

While i agree it would make for some good hockey.....but uh, only 10 teams?  15 teams last year averaged a sell-out.  Which 5 teams that sold out every game would you recommend be eliminated?  

Didn't I say, and isn't this thread about unpopular? 

The idea stems from wanting a highly competitive league where only the very, very best get to play. I could care less about which teams sold out last year.

Quality of play is on the decline. 10 teams is heavy shrinkage though, so I'm willing to budge on the number. Lol

20 hours ago, Odd. said:

Get rid of the loser points.

To add on to this:

1. I enjoy reading Botchford articles.

2. We are going to be worse than last year

3. Horvat is slightly overrated.

4. NHL needs to get rid of the trapezoid. Extremely dangerous for defenseman and stupid

5. Remove the instigator penalty

6. Any headshots get a maximum 5 game suspension. Headshots that resulted in concussions get 10 games.

7. Calgary will not make the playoffs this year. Shaky goaltending and their defense is extremely overrated. 

8. Teams should go back to the old dress code of white jerseys being worn on home games and  dark jerseys on away games.

Archived