The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toys 'R' Us files for bankruptcy protection in U.S.; plans to do same in Canada

fivethej

I remember when Toys R Us first came and I was appalled at the prices. I remember Toy City, used to be one at the Guildford Mall, I think there was one in Coquitlam as well, I liked those places, they always seemed to have everything where as Toys R Us was hit and miss. I remember Toys N Wheels as well.

Here's my beef with a place like Toys R Us, which isn't really their own fault. I'm 36 and I still collect Lego, now Toys R Us in Sweden will sometimes not get the newest stuff in for maybe two weeks after it's official Lego release, and some exclusives will never hit the shelves outside the Lego website or a Lego store. Lego is cheaper (mostly) on their website and includes free shipping, why involve the middle man in any of this? 

It's next evolution of retail.  Big box can't compete with online shopping in terms of pricing, save for a few mega companies (walmart, etc).  

It is common for many to just go into a big box place to check out the product they wish to buy and then just buy the item online.  Retailers will probably downsize to become showrooms, with minimal stock.  

Online Shopping is really the future.  And it is here now.  I don't know why people say they need to see it before buying.  Aside from food,  apparel like clothes, shoes, purses, etc, why do you need to see it?    A Xbox is an Xbox, a PS4 is a PS4, a hammer is a hammer, a book is book, and so on.

Shopping has really evolved over the centuries.    In the beginning, people did not even buy things.  They made they own clothing and grew their own food.   Then people moved into towns and cities and stores were set up to serve them.   Back then stores serve a single purpose, butcher shops for meat, produce shops for produce, clothing stores for clothes, etc.

And then came Department Stores where you get anything under one roof.  I remember the days when Department Stores like Woodwards, Eatons, and the Bay had big toy sections, hardware, electronic departments, etc.   Now even the Department stores have change as they no longer have those departments and sell mainly soft goods like clothes, bedding, and houseware.

4 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Online Shopping is really the future.  And it is here now.  I don't know why people say they need to see it before buying.  Aside from food,  apparel like clothes, shoes, purses, etc, why do you need to see it?    A Xbox is an Xbox, a PS4 is a PS4, a hammer is a hammer, a book is book, and so on.

Shopping has really evolved over the centuries.    In the beginning, people did not even buy things.  They made they own clothing and grew their own food.   Then people moved into towns and cities and stores were set up to serve them.   Back then stores serve a single purpose, butcher shops for meat, produce shops for produce, clothing stores for clothes, etc.

And then came Department Stores where you get anything under one roof.  I remember the days when Department Stores like Woodwards, Eatons, and the Bay had big toy sections, hardware, electronic departments, etc.   Now even the Department stores have change as they no longer have those departments and sell mainly soft goods like clothes, bedding, and houseware.

Many people, especially women, enjoy the whole shopping thing though, don't they?  Stores that cater to women shoppers will be fine.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Many people, especially women, enjoy the whole shopping thing though, don't they?  Stores that cater to women shoppers will be fine.  

LOL, so right.

The Bay downtown Vancouver has 4 floors devoted to women's items.  Three floors of women clothing and the ground floor full of cosmetics and jewelry and brand name bags/purses.  Men has a measly 1 floor at the top.   And go to any mall, the store stores that sell women's clothing and accessories outnumber menswear 10 to 1.

Archived