The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What happened to Taylor Hall in Edmonton?  How old is Kadri in TO?  

You're  right we should tank until the next generational talent is born.. 

The Canucks are gonna have to try to build a team with the parts they do have and Duchene likely has  6+ good years left of first line caliber play. Which like it or not Bo is not.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You're  right we should tank until the next generational talent is born.. 

The Canucks are gonna have to try to build a team with the parts they do have and Duchene likely has  6+ good years left of first line caliber play. Which like it or not Bo is not.

How many Cup winners have their been without an elite talent or two (whom they drafted) in their lineup?  Also, Duchene is NOT and elite talent.  But he is good enough to get us out of the bottom three, where our odds of drafting an elite talent are higher.  If we want to have a Cup level team, at some near future point, we can’t trade away young assets and picks for guys like Duchene.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How many Cup winners have their been without an elite talent or two (whom they drafted) in their lineup?  Also, Duchene is NOT and elite talent.  But he is good enough to get us out of the bottom three, where our odds of drafting an elite talent are higher.  If we want to have a Cup level team, at some near future point, we can’t trade away young assets and picks for guys like Duchene.  

There are more Patrick Stephans out there than there are McDavids. Odds seem similar to drafting Datsyuk, Zetterberg. I am curious how many "elite" NHLers were top 3 picks vs how many were not even first round picks there are in the league?

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

There are more Patrick Stephans out there than there are McDavids. Odds seem similar to drafting Datsyuk, Zetterberg. I am curious how many "elite" NHLers were top 3 picks vs how many were not even first round picks there are in the league?

Good question.  I think @ForsbergTheGreat Posted a stat a while back that showed something like this.  Top 3 picks were far more likely to be impactful players than those selected after.  I think that’s why we have a draft, where the crappy teams select at the top.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good question.  I think @ForsbergTheGreat Posted a stat a while back that showed something like this.  Top 3 picks were far more likely to be impactful players than those selected after.  I think that’s why we have a draft, where the crappy teams select at the top.  

Cool beans I was foggy on that draft wisdom.

What I am getting at is it does no good to have all the top picks if you never build anything around them or whatever budding youth you do have.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Cool beans I was foggy on that draft wisdom.

What I am getting at is it does no good to have all the top picks if you never build anything around them.

I totally agree.  It looks like JB is really doing well in his picks outside of round one, and getting guys like Stecher, Goldy, Dahlen, and Granlund.  We still need the elite guys though.  I’m hoping that Pettersson is one to go with Boeser.  If Demko is the real deal, we could be pretty good in a few years.  

42 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

the only thing we should be offering for Duchene is something that centres around Sven Baertchi and a dman.  Production wise they've been the same the last 2 years.  I will give props to Duchenes fast start this year, but very similar production wise. 

not even close to the quality of asset its going to take to get Duchene

They better not try and do something stupid to speed up the rebuild.

Acquiring Duchene does absolutely nothing to improve our chances. All it does is give us yet another second line center, with no elite first line talent and an even weaker D-pool.

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nick Kypreos mentioned during the HNIC intermission that Olli Juolevi is a piece that Avalanche could look at. The rumours are getting heated up.

Jees, I hope JB is not interested in Duchene.  The only way this happens is if our owner demands it.  And if that was the case, I hope JB would say NO.  

I'm sort of into it, but if we're dangling Juolevi, I'd expect Colorado to add, not us. Sergachev went for Drouin in basically a one for one (I know deeper round picks were swapped), while Sergachev was drafted after Juolevi, and Drouin is younger than Duchene. I'd say one for one, and we take on the full cap. I'd be OK with it too, as Juolevi's stock is quickly plummeting. 

34 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm sort of into it, but if we're dangling Juolevi, I'd expect Colorado to add, not us. Sergachev went for Drouin in basically a one for one (I know deeper round picks were swapped), while Sergachev was drafted after Juolevi, and Drouin is younger than Duchene. I'd say one for one, and we take on the full cap. I'd be OK with it too, as Juolevi's stock is quickly plummeting. 

Actually there is a condition on that trade that says if Sergachev plays x number of games (I think 41?), then the deal becomes 1 for 1.

I hope this doesn't happen.  Duchene is a good player and all, but he will be 27yrs in January, which is considerably older than the young core.  Sakic would be wise to wait until later in the season and trade Duchene to a contending team.  He would squeeze a lot more out of a contender than a rebuilding team with few assets.

Maybe Canucks are seeing some disturbing things in Juolevi and are ready to cut bait?  I'm not sure I'd be ready to give up on Juolevi considering our D man prospects coming is pretty limited.  Also I have to agree with others that Duchene is a great player but doesn't fit our timeline.  This would be an ownership deal if it happens for sure.

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Maybe Canucks are seeing some disturbing things in Juolevi and are ready to cut bait?  I'm not sure I'd be ready to give up on Juolevi considering our D man prospects coming is pretty limited.  Also I have to agree with others that Duchene is a great player but doesn't fit our timeline.  This would be an ownership deal if it happens for sure.

If we are going to give up juolevi it better not be for Duchene and if it is, benning should be fired asap

Archived