The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does Duchene fit into a rebuilding team's future though?  JB should not even kick tires on Duchene.  BIG PASS.

Not sure if you've been paying attention much, but after this year if the Sedins retire and the Canucks add Duchene this year... they've effectively rebuilt the entire team and just has to keep acquiring prospects to keep the pipeline full

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

is hutton / baer the new ballard / raymond?

Don't know why some people are so eager to trade Baertschi. He could potentially put up as many points as Duchene this season depending on our powerplay.

Duchene is a pretty one dimensional player too. Skilled player, but not someone I'd wanna build a team around.

16 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Duchene is a rare talent, a game changer! None of our current group nor prospects are close to his level.... I'd take him for Baertschi, Hutton and a 1st.... take it or leave it! 

I dont know about that Virt....hes a good player but I wouldnt call him a rare talent.  in 8 years hes broken past 60 points 2 times...the rest of the time he has been  hovering around in the 50+ point range and last year he got 41 points.  

This franchise has suffered, and will suffer, to accumulate young talent - i dont know why the Canucks would give up any combo of that young talent for a guy that will most likely be in his 30's by the time the next core is ready for prime time.

Throwing names like Gaudette, Juolevi and 2018 first round picks into the mix (not necessarily you but other people in here) really makes me scratch my head coz even with Duchene this team wont be challenging for anything for a while.

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Sakic may be out of a job before Duchene gets traded.

If rumours of Sakic rejecting Duchene for Hamonic and requesting PK Subban for Duchene are true..I think we can expect another last place finish from the franchise. 

Duchene knows that he has to hit a home run in this trade which is why it hasn't happened yet. He wants too much. If he asks for a first from Vancouver, hopefully they hang up.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

After Benning brought in Vanek, Gagner and Del Zotto, it wouldn't surprise me. I'd be okay with Hutton and Sutter for Duchene. Was watching Tim & Sid yesterday (stayed home with a bad back), and even though I don't like the show much, or those guys, they mentioned that after Horvat, the Canucks don't really have a good option as a #2C. (after Henrik leaves). This annoyed me but it's kind of true. Sutter, Granlund, Gagner and Burmistrov are pretty good players, but not future top 6Cs on this team. Pettersson may be 5 years away before he's ready for a regular top 6 roll. And Gaudette is more likely a #3C. Assuming Henrik retires after this season, who will be the #2C? Gagner? I'd rather have Duchene.

Too many local yocals, make their living disparaging players on the Canucks. Fans their lunch bagging our players.

I currently live in Melbourne. Fans barrack for their team & its players through thick & thin. They will admit ''he's having a tough year.'' But never the endless droning that we should trade that bum. Or we shoulda drafted so in so.  The difference in loyalty is remarkable.

Sutter is a viable 2knd line center. And a better than average 3rd line center. Certainly viable for an interim period till Petterson arrives.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Horvat, Boeser, Demko for Duchene, 4th

:huh: 

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Keep in mind Sergachev went for Drouin. Maybe we could swing Juolevi for Duchene? Have to add some cap though.

No doubt Joe had called Montreal. And Sergachev was part of the request list. And Montreal, no doubt, they are not exactly bonafide all in contenders, was not up for a guy with just 2 years left on his contract for the stud D prospect.  Drouin carries more risk. But substantially more longevity. And I would argue upside. 

Not sure Juolevi makes sense for us either? Unless someone is giving up on him.

Diligence, nothing more I hope.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Do more buyers stumble in to drive up price? Or, does RNH(& maybe others..Tavares?) get quietly shopped to flood market, & screw up Sakic's hopes?

Edmonton is probably low on the list?  Yes RNH is one component that could be considered.  But Colorado is also having ( remarkable amounts of ) trouble simply fielding an NHL defensive squad.  Colorado would NEED to have a decent defensive component along with.  I don't think they can afford to give up any depth?

If anything they would be looking for D, not a center to play behind Draisaitl & McJesus.  While Duchesne drives up the price for D. It might be a time to be in contact with Chiarelli?

50 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Not sure if you've been paying attention much, but after this year if the Sedins retire and the Canucks add Duchene this year... they've effectively rebuilt the entire team and just has to keep acquiring prospects to keep the pipeline full

How good will newly rebuilt team be?  Likely no better than middle of the pack.  That means we draft middle of the pack.  And without extreme luck, we will stay middle of the pack.  A proper rebuild, that finishes with an elite team, requires painful seasons at the bottom, so we can draft top five.  The elite players most often come from those top picks.  Remember only the (stinky faced) Bruins won a .Cup in the last decade without relying heavily on at least one top three pick.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does Duchene fit into a rebuilding team's future though?  JB should not even kick tires on Duchene.  BIG PASS.

sure he does.

the team isn't "rebuilding" but just getting quality players.  I don't get the impression (from signings) that the team is on a mission to rebuild with young players.  They are rebuilding the team so they can make the playoffs as soon as possible.  And continue to make the playoffs for years to come (that is their interest in any sort of youth movement),  There is no long term plan of delayed gratification in order to see a plan come together with a structured team (trading for early 20-ish players, signing early 30-ish players, size is important, then it isn't, etc - whatever works or whatever opportunities come, they will look at...).  

So Duchene is just the kind of player the team is looking for.  help them compete now and in the future.  Combine late 20s and early 30s players with some young players that keep competing for jobs and eventually displace the older guys, and you have the master plan.

whatever... if it keeps the team in Vancouver I'm all for it.  I would love to see a real youth movement though ;) 

Makes total sense to be interested in Duchene.  Makes little sense to overpay for him.

If the price for Duchene is PK+, that's insane.  Duchene is good but I would not classify him as a much better player than Taylor Hall.

Duchene for Hamonic would have made sense if that deal was on the table.

Duchene for Tanev makes little sense for the Avs as I'm sure they want a younger D (unless his name is PK Subban).  I don't see a fit but who knows.

1 minute ago, canucksnihilist said:

sure he does.

the team isn't "rebuilding" but just getting quality players.  I don't get the impression (from signings) that the team is on a mission to rebuild with young players.  They are rebuilding the team so they can make the playoffs as soon as possible.  And continue to make the playoffs for years to come (that is their interest in any sort of youth movement),  There is no long term plan of delayed gratification in order to see a plan come together with a structured team (trading for early 20-ish players, signing early 30-ish players, size is important, then it isn't, etc - whatever works or whatever opportunities come, they will look at...).  

So Duchene is just the kind of player the team is looking for.  help them compete now and in the future.  Combine late 20s and early 30s players with some young players that keep competing for jobs and eventually displace the older guys, and you have the master plan.

whatever... if it keeps the team in Vancouver I'm all for it.  I would love to see a real youth movement though ;) 

I would love to see us win a Cup. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How good will newly rebuilt team be?  Likely no better than middle of the pack.  That means we draft middle of the pack.  And without extreme luck, we will stay middle of the pack.  A proper rebuild, that finishes with an elite team, requires painful seasons at the bottom, so we can draft top five.  The elite players most often come from those top picks.  Remember only the (stinky faced) Bruins won a .Cup in the last decade without relying heavily on at least one top three pick.

We've drafted high for long enough. The next natural progression for this team is to be drafting in the middle of the pack, because it means we've been challenging for a playoff spot.

We've drafted Top 10 in 4 of the past 5 years in those years we got:

2013 - 9th - Bo Horvat
2014 - 6th - Jake Virtanen
2016 - 5th - Olli Juolevi
2017 - 5th - Elias Petterson

And in the one year of that time frame where we didn't draft top 10 we snagged Brock Boeser at 23rd overall in 2015, who looks like he has the makings of being an elite sniper. Jake Virtanen looks remarkably improved from last year, Horvat is Horvat and led the team last year in scoring, and almost in points as well. Olli Juolevi will take a couple more years, as will Petterson, but they will be here contributing as rookies when the Canucks are edging back into the playoffs every year as the 7-8th seed.

If you factor in other players such as Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, etc I'm more than happy with this core that Benning has assembled. It's time to let them grow as a core and see what they can do.

If you think about it, we only got Bo because of trading Schneider, since our own 1st round draft pick was Hunter Shinkaruk at 24th overall which turned into Markus Granlund, another very solid young player who I'm excited for. Taking that into account, we're much better off than Edmonton who were terrible in 2007 (6th OA), 2009 (10OA), 2010 (1OA), 2011 (1OA), 2012 (1OA), 2013 (7OA), 2014 (3OA), 2015 (1OA), and 2016 (4OA). That's 9 years of absolute SUCK and 1 year of Kinda SUCK, to get realistically 3 great players in McDavid, Draisaitl and Pool Party; the rest of the players they drafted are all supporting players. Hell the guy they drafted at 6th overall in 2007? We signed him as a UFA this summer, Sam Gagner.

The Oilers didn't even get a sniff of the playoffs until last year, until then they had missed the playoffs for 10 straight years. We've missed the playoffs for TWO years, and have a team that this year provided we don't get hit with the injury bug, could challenge for a playoff spot. For a team that's pretty much completely rebuilt. Like I said, at worst we have another two years of not making the playoffs until we start making them again consistently. That's more than a two times faster turn around than the Edmonton gong show.

Benning has show remarkable skill when it comes to drafting since he's been here, so I'd rather take forward progress with the team we have, and take our chances with drafting mid to late round than sucking for another 5 years.

Archived