The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

25 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Makes total sense to be interested in Duchene.  Makes little sense to overpay for him.

If the price for Duchene is PK+, that's insane.  Duchene is good but I would not classify him as a much better player than Taylor Hall.

Duchene for Hamonic would have made sense if that deal was on the table.

Duchene for Tanev makes little sense for the Avs as I'm sure they want a younger D (unless his name is PK Subban).  I don't see a fit but who knows.

At this point Benning should call Sakic and offer Hutton++ and say take it or leave it. 

The resson Duchene is interesting is because you get rapidly better by adding top players, not by adding good players.

Baertschi has increased his value immensely as he has been given lots of opportunity.  He isn't nearly the talent of  Duchesne who is likely going to play with a big chip on his shoulder.

We have lots of mid roster forwards and can afford to lose a couple.

It is going to take more than we can offer and I hope JB takes players being club controlled into account.  Losing RFAs for UFAs loses you in most cases.

Canucks don't want to rebuild the Oilers way, where they play all of their prospects in a losing environment. They will put the youth in the lineup when they're ready and surround them with veterans and leaders to show them the way. I'm happy they're putting a team together that will be competitive and win some games. I would love for Duchene to become a Canuck, but I still have concerns with goaltending and whether Markstrom and Nilsson will be enough. Trading one of our better D won't help.   

How to stuff $6mil into our cap... 

Well actually need to fit just 4mil but who goes the other way?

Sutter, Tanev, Eriksson all say no as they all have NTC. 

You want to actually lose Hutton for half a year of Duchene?

Here is why I would go for it....

1)We get a motivated player in the last year of his contract and looking to make a HUGE impression to get the big payday come July 1st.

2)With a motivated player his value is going to be extremely high come the deadline and also with no NTC, we get to sell him to the highest bidder of what Sakic definately won't be getting.

A- 1st rnd pick 2018

B- Top prospect

C- Good young player

3)With Duchene's success, others such as Boeser should benefit

These pro's make losing a guy like Hutton hard to swallow but could be worth it.

Now add that to returns we get from trading Tanev as well at the deadline (Provided we do move him and he also has a good year)

As long as it doesn't cost much more than Hutton, I'm ok with this. 

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

The resson Duchene is interesting is because you get rapidly better by adding top players, not by adding good players.

Baertschi has increased his value immensely as he has been given lots of opportunity.  He isn't near Duchene who is likely going to play with a big chip on his shoulder.

We have lots of mid roster forwards and can afford to lose a couple.

You know....

Everytime I think of Canucks trading for a guy like Athanisiou, I always consider Baertschi the guy going the other way.

Bae is currently making what Det is offering AA.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks don't want to rebuild the Oilers way, where they play all of their prospects in a losing environment. They will put the youth in the lineup when they're ready and surround them with veterans and leaders to show them the way. I'm happy they're putting a team together that will be competitive and win some games. I would love for Duchene to become a Canuck, but I still have concerns with goaltending and whether Markstrom and Nilsson will be enough. Trading one of our better D won't help.   

IS Hutton one of our better D? 

Or just better by default?

True Benning has been stocking the prospect cupboards but he seems to have leared from past mistakes by letting them develop properly.

Ya sure Boeser is lighting up the pre-season but so did Shirokov, and Paul Kariyas little brother before him.

Hence why Jim went out and signed all these mid-late 20's vets to 2-3 yr contracts while everyone gets a good full year or 2 in Utica

If Brock spent and entire year there, I would be totally ok with that

Really don't see us being able to match some of the other teams offers...

All our 2nd tier players....

Baer, Granlund,Hutton,Gudbranson,Sutter,eithergoalie,Dorsett have very little value league wide.

Our FA's ...Gagne,Vanek,Del Zotto.Erix have basically 0...no GMs gonna trade for a guy they could've had for free.

Who does that leave ...Sedins Edler won't leave

Tanev...prob a little old for Colo's timeline.

Think Stetchers worth more to us than his trade value

Leaves our last 5 1st rounders and next years.

Doubt have interest in Demko..

Just don't see any possible deal here...as much as would like to acquire Duschene.

Wouldn't mind overpaying a bit if they took Sutters 4.5 in deal.

Would fill a void till Petterson (hopefully) is ready.

34 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

We've drafted high for long enough. The next natural progression for this team is to be drafting in the middle of the pack, because it means we've been challenging for a playoff spot.

We've drafted Top 10 in 4 of the past 5 years in those years we got:

2013 - 9th - Bo Horvat
2014 - 6th - Jake Virtanen
2016 - 5th - Olli Juolevi
2017 - 5th - Elias Petterson

And in the one year of that time frame where we didn't draft top 10 we snagged Brock Boeser at 23rd overall in 2015, who looks like he has the makings of being an elite sniper. Jake Virtanen looks remarkably improved from last year, Horvat is Horvat and led the team last year in scoring, and almost in points as well. Olli Juolevi will take a couple more years, as will Petterson, but they will be here contributing as rookies when the Canucks are edging back into the playoffs every year as the 7-8th seed.

If you factor in other players such as Demko, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, etc I'm more than happy with this core that Benning has assembled. It's time to let them grow as a core and see what they can do.

If you think about it, we only got Bo because of trading Schneider, since our own 1st round draft pick was Hunter Shinkaruk at 24th overall which turned into Markus Granlund, another very solid young player who I'm excited for. Taking that into account, we're much better off than Edmonton who were terrible in 2007 (6th OA), 2009 (10OA), 2010 (1OA), 2011 (1OA), 2012 (1OA), 2013 (7OA), 2014 (3OA), 2015 (1OA), and 2016 (4OA). That's 9 years of absolute SUCK and 1 year of Kinda SUCK, to get realistically 3 great players in McDavid, Draisaitl and Pool Party; the rest of the players they drafted are all supporting players. Hell the guy they drafted at 6th overall in 2007? We signed him as a UFA this summer, Sam Gagner.

The Oilers didn't even get a sniff of the playoffs until last year, until then they had missed the playoffs for 10 straight years. We've missed the playoffs for TWO years, and have a team that this year provided we don't get hit with the injury bug, could challenge for a playoff spot. For a team that's pretty much completely rebuilt. Like I said, at worst we have another two years of not making the playoffs until we start making them again consistently. That's more than a two times faster turn around than the Edmonton gong show.

Benning has show remarkable skill when it comes to drafting since he's been here, so I'd rather take forward progress with the team we have, and take our chances with drafting mid to late round than sucking for another 5 years.

And the Oilers sucked, as you say, long enough to get Draisatl and McDavid.  They went through a lot of painful seasons, but finally came out with the elite stars to give them a prolonged time period of Cup chances.  If we get to the middle too soon, we will not have the elite guys.  We need elite guys, plain and simple.

Just now, Alflives said:

And the Oilers sucked, as you say, long enough to get Draisatl and McDavid.  They went through a lot of painful seasons, but finally came out with the elite stars to give them a prolonged time period of Cup chances.  If we get to the middle too soon, we will not have the elite guys.  We need elite guys, plain and simple.

Except it's never guaranteed. We could be bad for 10 years and not get any elite generational talent. The Stanley Cup is won by a team, not an individual or two players. I would rather take proper development and growth of what we have now vs sucking forever and maybe never getting better. It's how Detroit managed to make the playoffs for 22-23 straight years.

As I said, I think we have the basis for a Stanley Cup winning team already in our organization, they just need to develop and grow.

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

Except it's never guaranteed. We could be bad for 10 years and not get any elite generational talent. The Stanley Cup is won by a team, not an individual or two players. I would rather take proper development and growth of what we have now vs sucking forever and maybe never getting better. It's how Detroit managed to make the playoffs for 22-23 straight years.

As I said, I think we have the basis for a Stanley Cup winning team already in our organization, they just need to develop and grow.

I don't see anything wrong with our youth getting a year or two more of seasoning with a strong Utica team, while we grab another high draft pick or two. Giving up solid assets for Duchene this year would be premature.

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

I don't see anything wrong with our youth getting a year or two more of seasoning with a strong Utica team, while we grab another high draft pick or two. Giving up solid assets for Duchene this year would be premature.

I've never advocating that we should get Duchene. All I said is if they DID get Duchene, then the rebuild is pretty well complete. Even if we don't trade for Duchene, I'm more than happy with our team and if the players are ready (Virtanen, Boeser, etc) for the NHL, and it appears they are, then I'd rather see this team do well and draft middle of the pack. It means they've achieved some measure of success which is a step forward. Better imo than sucking to draft a young player who may or may not turn out as we hope.

It's better to compete and play well every year as best as you can. The goal is to make the playoffs, whether you're a favorite to win the cup or not. All of this posturing of wanting to suck to maybe get lucky with drafted players, to maybe get better in the future to me is just bull$&!#.

If your goal is to compete as poorly as you can for reasons other than winning as much as you can, what the hell are you even cheering for?. Everyone acts like this team is still full of 30+ year old players. This is already a young team, personally I think Benning has done a fantastic job at turning the roster around relative to what he was left to work with from his predecessor.

I'm looking forward to winning as many games as they can, if they fall short then so be it; it means they were better and that's all we really want.

4 hours ago, billabong said:

It would help legitimize our top 6 and I would deal Hutton as part of the package in a heart beat.

But I mean teams can't get a read on what Sakic wants? Like joe get your stuff together this has been months of this and you still can't hammer out a reasonable asking price? 

Sakic is butchering this. Great player, the worst gm in the league. 

Eerily reminiscent to MG's handling of Luongo. Horrible.

24 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Hutton

Goldobin

Rodin

Subban

Gudbranson

Either goalie

Labate

Boucher

Pick any 2 and take a 2nd

We can flip Duchene at the TDL and get a 1st, prospect and young player

If that is true, then why wouldn't Colorado just take the 1st, prospect and a young player?  They'd rather have that than two of the above

Archived