The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Devils Brian Boyle Diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

skategal

Wishing Brian Boyle all the strength and good fortunes with his medication regimen! After being diagnosed with AML, a failed stem cell transplant and four different courses of chemotherapy, I have had the misfortune of progressing to CML-RAEB1 and am aware of every hardship and effect Brian could possibly face. Now that I'm resigned to supportive care and struggling with high levels of fatigue, I'm at least able to enjoy our emerging Canuck prospects and a hopeful future! I could only dream of getting back to some crash and bang hockey from just a few short years ago.

It's a tough fight for players like Boyle and Blake to play through, and my admiration helps build optimism for my own fight!

35 minutes ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

Wishing Brian Boyle all the strength and good fortunes with his medication regimen! After being diagnosed with AML, a failed stem cell transplant and four different courses of chemotherapy, I have had the misfortune of progressing to CML-RAEB1 and am aware of every hardship and effect Brian could possibly face. Now that I'm resigned to supportive care and struggling with high levels of fatigue, I'm at least able to enjoy our emerging Canuck prospects and a hopeful future! I could only dream of getting back to some crash and bang hockey from just a few short years ago.

It's a tough fight for players like Boyle and Blake to play through, and my admiration helps build optimism for my own fight!

Battle hard!  You have the strength of many fellow Canucks Fans behind you!  

35 minutes ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

Keep fighting the good fight!

13 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Same type of cancer Jason Blake had. Also seems intent on playing through it like Blake:

Kick cancer's ass, Boyle.

Wow ... good thing they caught it early. Hope it doesn't affect his play at all. 

Good luck Brian! 

13 hours ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

Keep up the fight, best of luck to you! 

• 1 year later...

Good news! Brian Boyle’s cancer is in remission.

"A test (BCR-ABL1) looks for the leukemia cells in your blood and when I was first diagnosed, it was at 75 percent. At the end of last season, it was at .08 percent, and in July I was .04 percent. The results showed all zeros on Monday. It's full molecular remission, and I feel really good.”

Archived