VegasCanuck

Preseason GDT/PGT Canucks vs Flames Sept. 20th 6:00pm

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Canucks would have to sign him. 

Can that be done, if he's under contract already? Interesting situation, but I doubt they'd go for a 26/27 year old guy, when Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, and Rodin are as ready as he is.

11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Archiebald as you spell it, is on an AHL contract. I'm not sure how he gets to the Canuck roster if he's a Comet. Anyone??

Archie if keeps playing this way will be signed by a NHL team on at least a 2-way.   Him, Jake and Brock have been the 3 best players over the past 2-3 games.   Archie is big, will hit, and can skate decently for his size.  And he can score and make plays.   The coaches and fans have taken notice.  

I'm shocked to see the win, just checked scores and highlights after watching the first. It must have been a completely different game in the second and third, because the baby nucks looked quite premature early on... Haven't seen so many pretty goals, Jake's and Jalen's in particular, in one Canucks highlight package for a long time. Still want to see at least Jake and Goldy down in Utica to start the season, in order to keep as many vet's in Utica on the ice, and to keep Rodin + (insert bubble forward here) around... Just can't see management making that decision with Brock. He's been impactful each game, is a fan favorite, doubtlessly will bring in stupid amounts of revenue from girlfriends of male hockey fans, and will be the prime example of youth earning a spot.

Just now, Guile said:

I'm shocked to see the win, just checked scores and highlights after watching the first. It must have been a completely different game in the second and third, because the baby nucks looked quite premature early on... Haven't seen so many pretty goals, Jake's and Jalen's in particular, in one Canucks highlight package for a long time. Still want to see at least Jake and Goldy down in Utica to start the season, in order to keep as many vet's in Utica on the ice, and to keep Rodin + (insert bubble forward here) around... Just can't see management making that decision with Brock. He's been impactful each game, is a fan favorite, doubtlessly will bring in stupid amounts of revenue from girlfriends of male hockey fans, and will be the prime example of youth earning a spot.

They all leveled up in the 1st period intermission.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Can that be done, if he's under contract already? Interesting situation, but I doubt they'd go for a 26/27 year old guy, when Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, and Rodin are as ready as he is.

it has often been said that power forward players don't hit their prime until that age.  This may be what we are seeing with him.   You can already see he has more tools than a lot of the guys shooting for the 4th line.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, xereau said:

They all leveled up in the 1st period intermission.

Coach Cull with a magic elixir?

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry I did not see the game.......you guys seem really excited...LOL....good!

Nice to see them take that one...kind of unexpected...

Just want to remind everyone to take a step back and remember it was an exhibition game

Not saying don't enjoy it........just keep some in reserve for when it really counts...

These games, just make it hard for Benning to pick his bottom 3....that's it

Vets almost always get the nod, when the rookie can go down....at least to start

so that the league can see who everyone has.......it will be a couple months or until injuries start

That would be the smart play....................maybe Broeser is the exception

Your new nickname is "Period".  That or "dot-dot-dot", I haven't decided.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, samurai said:

it has often been said that power forward players don't hit their prime until that age.  This may be what we are seeing with him.   You can already see he has more tools than a lot of the guys shooting for the 4th line.  

As impressive as Archie has been, he is NEEDED in Utica. He's the one proven top 6 returning Comets forward. I know Chaput is a top six guy (didn't play much with the Comets last year), but Archie will likely be an alternate captain, brings size, grit, and will be an example for the kids. At least two or three of our promising forwards will be in Utica, and they'll get a boost from his attitude and his tough play. 

Also, as mentioned, he's on an AHL contract.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Still watching via PVR but I'm late 2nd and him, Virtanen and Rodin are all having solid games. 

Demko too. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

LOL, Boeser to Utica -- right, @J.R.?
B)

Juolevi and Chatfield had a rough'ish 1st but they've been getting better as the game goes on too. 

3 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

Your new nickname is "Period".  That or "dot-dot-dot", I haven't decided.

Ellipses? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Guile said:

As impressive as Archie has been, he is NEEDED in Utica. He's the one proven top 6 returning Comets forward. I know Chaput is a top six guy (didn't play much with the Comets last year), but Archie will likely be an alternate captain, brings size, grit, and will be an example for the kids. At least two or three of our promising forwards will be in Utica, and they'll get a boost from his attitude and his tough play. 

You can have Megna in Utica.

Actually, I thought he was half decent tonight.

5 minutes ago, Guile said:

Archibald is not going to stay in the AHL if he has a choice.  As far as his contract status nobody knows what it is.  But I would assume it has an out clause if a NHL team  wants to sign him.   Just based on his sample size you can almost guarantee that he is going to get at least a two-way from someone.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Here's hoping. Demko's games this fall have ranked from okay to pretty damn bad; so it would be awesome to see him stand on his head tonight and hold down the fort all game.

Demko had an ailment in his last game vs Vegas; he was suffering from an awful case of defence.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Guile said:

This is silly.  I'm sure the Canucks care about Utica's roster, but if they determine that Archibald is a good fit as a 4th line, big-bodied winger who plays with grit, can pot a few goals, and brings something that the other candidates don't, then they'll sign him and keep him, Utica be damned.  To management, Canucks wins are more valuable than Utica wins.  I'm sure Archibald feels the same way.  I thought he looked pretty good.  I thought his skating style made him look slow, but when racing for pucks against D-men, he did fine. 

I've been a Virtanen detractor, but I think he's turned the corner.  That defensive play that saved the goal in the first combined with that powerplay snipe shows me that his total game has really developed.  The year in Utica did wonders teaching him how to be a professional hockey player.  He plays a solid 200-foot game and doesn't take many shifts off. 

Brock was a boss, so cool and economical.  He will be on the opening roster.

I thought Goldie got better as the game went on.  I liked his playmaking and passing from the side boards.  He's still a bit of a project, it looks like he's not quite sure of his defensive zone positioning sometimes, but that will hopefully come.

Chatfield was the best Dman.

Subban was awful on defense.  At his age, and knowing what his weaknesses are, the fact that he's still a dumpster fire in his own zone shows me that he's never going to play defense in the NHL.

I liked the way Demko shut it down after the first.

Overall a very exciting and promising game.  They were so much better than they played against LV, obviously, the intervening practices helped them get more comfortable with the systems and playing with each other.  The PK was perfect!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Jake and Brock are making a strong case to start the season in Vancouver. 

Me too!! But at whose expense? I see Dorsett, Burmistrov losing their jobs.. it's kinda stupid to give 2 extra spots to d-men and sacrifice the flexibility to rotate forwards....

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Damn Boeser's release is unreal.

His shot is unreal, but I like his lateral move across the front of the goal that preceded it - the goalie has to move with him, and that opens up the five-hole - exactly where he shot.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Me too!! But at whose expense? I see Dorsett, Burmistrov losing their jobs.. it's kinda stupid to give 2 extra spots to d-men and sacrifice the flexibility to rotate forwards....

I think Dorsett gets waived.  He's a one-trick pony, he fights and plays abrasively.  He didn't start with much talent.  Missing almost all of last season has really set him back, and I don't see him returning.  I doubt he's going to drop the gloves much after his surgery, and much of the sandpaper from his game has also likely been robbed from him.  There are much better options in camp than poor old DD.

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

I think Dorsett gets waived.  He's a one-trick pony, he fights and plays abrasively.  He didn't start with much talent.  Missing almost all of last season has really set him back, and I don't see him returning.  I doubt he's going to drop the gloves much after his surgery, and much of the sandpaper from his game has also likely been robbed from him.  There are much better options in camp than poor old DD.

Agreed. As much as I loved DD's passion, he gotta make way for others... I won't be surprised if either Upshall or White gets his job! Gaunce should be worried too if he can't produce...