The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason GDT/PGT Canucks vs Kings Sept. 21st 4:30AM (Red Eye Edition)

VegasCanuck

Game Results  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I don't like Burmistrov on the PP, Granlund is more creative. Hopefully it's just a preseason experiment.

I thought they played good,  we had some good chances that they couldn't capitalized on but overall the game was a lot more competitive than the score indicated. 

An injection of youth in the form of Brock and Jake and we're solid.  

Noooo Jake, needs to start in utica. Boeser though, him with twins I'd like to see, gotta respect his shot which might open rooms for twins to feed him back door passes and baer bo Gradlund line to stay

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

How'd Gagner and Dorsett look?

Gagner played with the Sedins and had tons of ice time. He kind of complimented their style well. Had a few nice plays. Had a few bad ones. But they're showing chemistry.
Dorsett didn't seem to play much. Ahh, can't really comment on him too much. I didn't notice him enough. He was decent in the first period though. Still probably looking more like an extra forward. 

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

WTF....

PP ...god awful

Eriksson....still god awful

Burmustrov...same

New rules and EffinReffin....god awful

....one and only saving grace...

Granlund played great....to bad he was all alone out there....

Play the kids...this old horse is dead and we need to stop kicking it....

Chill. It's their first game in a while. They will be much better game 2.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, apparently Canucks management was saying the players that make the team will have to earn a spot. If the Sedins and Eriksson suck in preseason, are they benched to start the season? No, not even close. Management is full of lip service, and only brought in more vets so the kids can't play (yet). Problem is, I thought the kids played a very good game against CGY last night. Boeser and Virtanen are almost sure locks to make the team, IMO. Chatfield, Juolevi, Subban, Carcone and MacEwen are all up and comers. I guess we'll see what they really have once the regular season starts. Hoping for a Boeser/Virtanen effort from our vets.

The team does definitely need to bring in the younger players who are showing far and away that they are ready for the next step, I agree.

If the vets put in half-assed efforts, then the team and organization will be rewarded with a continued drop in season ticket sales and attendance at games.

Not many fans want to watch players putting in a half effort. Time will tell.

That being said, having some form of a veteran presence is necessary to transition the next group of players in. Henrik and Daniel, as old as they are, are the best candidates to do so. Sutter? They may hang them up after this season, or will continue on in one year contract spurts. I can't see them demanding too much in salary, if they are interested in the ascension of the next core group of players succeeding.

6 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I thought the game was decent up to the third period. Too many penalties and our power play clearly stinks but that might come with more practice. Still too much passing on the power play. It seems we need more shooters on the power play. 

I thought Edler had a quiet but good game.

I liked the Guddy - MDZ pairing.
Hutton looked good to me.
Loui still having his issues. Sutter played decent as far as I noticed.
Baertschi and Granlund put in a lot of work after the first period. Probably had the best two showings. 
I didn't really notice Horvat much except the odd power move. 
I really liked Burmistrov. He seemed to be shooting a lot, could get much better when he loses the offseason rust.
Boucher on the other hand showed that he is either the 13th forward or on the waiver wire. Something seemed off with him.
Sedins took 3 of the... was it 4 or 5 Nuck penalties? That was interesting!

If the slashing penalties continue to be called the way they are now, the sedins will continue to take them because they are slow.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, apparently Canucks management was saying the players that make the team will have to earn a spot. If the Sedins and Eriksson suck in preseason, are they benched to start the season? No, not even close. Management is full of lip service, and only brought in more vets so the kids can't play (yet). Problem is, I thought the kids played a very good game against CGY last night. Boeser and Virtanen are almost sure locks to make the team, IMO. Chatfield, Juolevi, Subban, Carcone and MacEwen are all up and comers. I guess we'll see what they really have once the regular season starts. Hoping for a Boeser/Virtanen effort from our vets.

People still don't get it...

giphy.gif

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Virt was completely invisible except for a backcheck and a fluke goal on an AHL goalie that played his position poorly and against an AHL team, Whoop dee doo. 

Archibald deserves a shot more than a kid that's finally attempting to be a team player for once. That guy hits, fights, and creates chances along with very noticeable entire preseason

Boeser is playing like an NHL player in AHL. 

Virt needs to prove it in AHL still now that he's putting in the conditioning effort he should be able to light it up

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Agree except for the Subban being a up and comer,  unless they convert him to forward he'll never be a NHL regular.  No one talks about Griffin Molino who I think should be 4th liner with those wheels, he brings more to the table than Megna does.  But they'll all be buried in the AHL under the guise of 'needing more seasoning' while they watch the big club plummet in the standings. 

I absolutely can not stand the way they are calling these penalties. I get it, we need to get the hacking out of the game but these little one handed taps getting called is ridiculous. That's not hockey. There slowing down a game that looks at it's best when played with pace. I realize the refs are making there point but settle it down a little. We know damn well it won't be called like this in the season nor will one back be called in the playoffs. As far as the game goes it was kind of meh.  Saw some good things from Gudbranson, Granlund, and I see the potential having Vanek with the Sedins on the PP.  That being said I will not judge this team until the second last preseason game when the team is solidified. I do have a hard time not pencilling in Boeser and Virtanen because they possess so much skill and speed. Also Boucher 99% will not make this team which saddens me because he does have a fine release on that shot. It's gonna be an interesting year and I truly believe this team is on the rise, so I will temper any expectations and just look for growth and improvement .

the vets better show up next game. At least green will not put up with poor play  the youngsters are the way to go id trade tanev, edler, sutter, dorsett asap 

Spilt the sedins up its time.

eriksson  sedin boeser

baertchi horvat vanek

daniel gagner granlund 

virtanen burmistrov dorsett

gaunce/rodin 

del zotto guddy

hutton stecher 

weircoch chaten

go young get rid of overpaid vets  i actually think the dcorp  would be better  like this  get some picks prospects for  edler tanev sutter  if edler wont waive just press box him  

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Eriksson's game and where it's at still remains to be seen. I'm not quite ready to write him off yet. Much like Gudbranson, he had to adjust to a new team, although Gudbranson was nursing a serious wrist injury.

Loui could take off if given the right linemates. He was very effective in Boston, and there is really no reason he can't find that again here. Essentially it's his choice.

Phil the voice of reason (for real, not being sarcastic). What exactly was Loui supposed to do last year differently? Sure a few more goals would have been nice but given the 3rd line defensive job he's been tasked with - something he didn't have in Boston or Dallas - I don't see how much more to expect. 

Being on a line with Vanek and Burmy is another tough task, one guy is struggling to stay in the NHL and the other can score but has cement blocks for skates. 

I really liked how he looked with Bo on the 2nd PP unit, that alone will bump his stats significantly.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've been on these boards for a few now, and you've never struck me as a flames fan.

The Sedins and Edler are in decline, of that there is no doubt. No longer impact players. Saying that doesn't revoke your Canucks fandom.

Thanks bud, your common sense and eye for the game like a few others is why I visit this message board from time to time.

Really hoping the Sedins and Edler can turn their diminishing play and game losing habits around and help the team more most nights but even if they can break even and not hurt the team I feel the injection of a real gem we have in Boeser, a real beauty in Virtanen, the newly acquired players I think Benning did a great job in acquiring and get good goaltending out if Markstrom and Nilsson this team will push very hard for a playoff spot.

11 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Virt was completely invisible except for a backcheck and a fluke goal on an AHL goalie that played his position poorly and against an AHL team, Whoop dee doo. 

Archibald deserves a shot more than a kid that's finally attempting to be a team player for once. That guy hits, fights, and creates chances along with very noticeable entire preseason

Boeser is playing like an NHL player in AHL. 

Virt needs to prove it in AHL still now that he's putting in the conditioning effort he should be able to light it up

Agree to disagree regarding Virtanen. I see a different player than last year. I think he's ready. Boeser will make the team. I agree that Archibald has looked very good, but unfortunately he won't be given a spot. That'll go to one of the high priced vets. The Sedins, Eriksson, Edler, etc. are in decline. Let's hope the younger guys can bring some life to this team this year.  

For me, personally, I enjoyed this preseason game.  yeah it didnt pan out to a win but finally got to see a full Canucks game.  I've been waiting all summer to see Gagner, MDZ, and the rest of the lineup.

Can't wait to see Boeser in the regular season lineup as well, I really believe he will be on the season opener roster.

and for those with yer pitchforks, relax its preseason game.  They'll gel, give em some time.

Archived