The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason GDT/PGT Canucks vs Kings Sept. 21st 4:30AM (Red Eye Edition)

VegasCanuck

Game Results  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God this game was &^@#ing boring to watch. I'm glad I watched it before I had to go to bed. 

One thing I notice is these vets never support each other entering the zone. They always skate in, then look to go to the end boards. Nobody will cut horizontally to set up, nobody criss-crosses in the neutral zone. Bland, lack of possession hockey with an abundance of forced passes and boring powerplay. 

Watching the kids made me forget just how dull our team is to watch sometimes. I really hope I get something to look forward to this season. Gagner looked like he did on the Oilers. I think he will pan our like a Higgins for us. Decent start and then fade into oblivion. Vanek actually looked half decent, unfortunate not to get more points. 

So far Brock has looked like the most skilled player on our team. He has more poise, more iq, and in certain departments more talent than what these guys have been showing thus far in preseason. 

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Same answer I gave to Alf, worded differently; One of our round 1, 2 & 3 picks every year should be a D with all the hallmarks a scout watches for. Compsure with the puck and good decisions, speed, savy, and if lucky some size and snarl or offense. One of our first round picks every 3 years should be a D, one of our 2knds, and so on.

Benning is coming close to this ratio, but not meeting it.  

I agree. There are lots of good/great defensemen taken in rounds two and three.

off the top of my head: Weber, Subban, Keith, Hjalmarsson (4th), Ghostisbehere (sp?), Ekhom (4th), Petrovic... oh yeah and that Josi 

guy, heard he's good.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes.  There are 6 players on the ice at once.  3 forwards (50%, 1:2), 2 D (33%, 1:3), 1 Goal Tender (17%, 1:6)

Basically every year we should draft a D in the top 3 rounds = 33%.

Now that I think of it; considering he converted McCann into Gudbrandson.  Gudbranson, Brisbois, Juolevi is 3 D in 4 years. But we were starting from a deficit. I remain hopeful we will go hard and get 2 or 3 next year.  

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

You cannot blame Tryamkin just 21yrs old married new to Cananda.. Think of it this way, you don't speak good english, wife very lonely when he is gone on road trips and there both missing there families.. maybe the team should of spent more time away from rink with the very young couple???

I really feel tryamking could be a top 4 Dman with a nasty mean streak 6'7 260 lbs moves well for bg big guy.. I feel Tryamking will be back playing for Vancouver after he gets sick of Russian league..

Back before 2019 season, fingers crossed...

I think if Goldobin and Pedan work out there will be a (slightly) larger Russian speaking group in Vancouver. Maybe they have Russian WAGs too. I was also waxing on in the summer about how GMJB  should try to get the rights to Nishuchkin.

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Phil the voice of reason (for real, not being sarcastic). What exactly was Loui supposed to do last year differently? Sure a few more goals would have been nice but given the 3rd line defensive job he's been tasked with - something he didn't have in Boston or Dallas - I don't see how much more to expect. 

Being on a line with Vanek and Burmy is another tough task, one guy is struggling to stay in the NHL and the other can score but has cement blocks for skates. 

I really liked how he looked with Bo on the 2nd PP unit, that alone will bump his stats significantly.

So why give the guy a contract to do as above?  36 million for an old third liner......wicked awesome.

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

2kns to agree, bang on!

I mentioned this in summer 2011.  No quims about losing Ehrhoff. He was not worth $40 mil. But we failed to replace him. 

And in 2012. And I also stated, signing day as it happened straight up, Garrison was no solution. Nor was that a hater position. He just brought precious little we did not have already in Hamhuis & Edler. None of the puck moving or snarl we were missing.

In 2013.

By 2014 I was starting to get some pissed off. Was happy Gillis was ultimately gone as a result. Too long not addressing shortcomings on D. When he was so good at it early.

I was sceptical Benning did not address the D his first year. But happy he drafted Tree.

1 step short of lynching him when he went with with Bartkowski & Weber. Again day one of signing, sceptical and on record as. When many hailed it as a money puck PMD. With the speed to get to a puck, and get it out. I never bought it.

Last year I was over the moon. 5 years post Christian Ehrhoff.  We got a D with some capacity to move the puck up ice in Stecher & Juolevi. We also got Guddy, whom I still like. 

This year Jim gets some credit for the forward group. And prospects, well deserved. But I believe on D just stop gap. So we wont be much better, if?  FTR, I'm also ok with stop gap & buying time for youth. But I am nervous as to whether we should have had a little higher D content in the draft. Next year we are going to have to stock up. 

On balance, we have much better prospect, and real life depth at forward. In comparison to D. I don't agree we are deep there at all. The fact we waited 5 years to draft a D that would take 8 years to arrive, post CE, is a cycle we cannot repeat. My point is we need to draft more D!

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Basically every year we should draft a D in the top 3 rounds = 33%.

Now that I think of it; considering he converted McCann into Gudbrandson.  Gudbranson, Brisbois, Juolevi is 3 D in 4 years. But we were starting from a deficit. I remain hopeful we will go hard and get 2 or 3 next year.  

I wonder if Benning is at the point were he drafts for need rather than BPA?

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I wonder if Benning is at the point were he drafts for need rather than BPA?

In general terms, BPA is consensus best practice? But we can't get hoodwinked into constantly believing the forward is BPA.

Better practice is balanced drafting. So 5 years on you don't have glaring holes in your player pool. You have to find ways to consistently draft some D men. 

The counter is draft BPA and then do trades to balance it out. It seems these days, opposing GM's can smell when you need something really badly though. See Taylor Hall.  

19 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Like a lot of Canuck fans I PVR'd the game...Watched the first 5 minutes and FF the rest....It was all special teams..Tough to watch,hopefully the refs ease off next game and let the payers decide it for themselves.

The refs have a mandate, call every play where the stick is used for anything other than playing the puck. They aren't going to change it. At least not during preseason.  The only hope for fewer penalties right now is that the players get the message and change their behaviors

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The refs have a mandate, call every play where the stick is used for anything other than playing the puck. They aren't going to change it. At least not during preseason.  The only hope for fewer penalties right now is that the players get the message and change their behaviors

I get the mandate..but you must admit it pretty stupid trying to sell the game to uneducated fans when most of the game is a PP...The Chinese most likely think that most of the game is played shorthanded....Its a complete misrepresentation of the game.

I get the mandate...but this completely and utterly backfired on the NHL.

20 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I get the mandate..but you must admit it pretty stupid trying to sell the game to uneducated fans when most of the game is a PP...The Chinese most likely think that most of the game is played shorthanded....Its a complete misrepresentation of the game.

I get the mandate...but this completely and utterly backfired on the NHL.

:lol: thats funny, i can hear it now: whats this "5 on 5" they speak of?

Archived