The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Puts Ex-Boyfriend's Name on Title to Avoid Foreign Buyers Tax, Now Wants it Back

DonLever

Here is a funny story:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3760374/hong-kong-woman-bc-land-title/

A Hong Kong woman who says she bought a house in Richmond, B.C. and put it in her boyfriend’s name to dodge B.C.’s 15 per cent foreign buyers’ tax, is suing the now ex-boyfriend to get the house back.

The woman says she’s living a relationship nightmare trying to move her ex-boyfriend out of the home she claims she paid for, documents filed in B.C. Supreme Court claim.

The only problem: his name is on the land title and the mortgage.

Jennie Wu and Johnny Chu began dating in the fall of 2016. Chu, a flight attendant, met Wu in the business section of a flight between Hong Kong and Vancouver.

Wu, a Hong Kong businesswoman, claimed she frequently travels to Vancouver for work and wanted to own a home in the region so that she had a place to live while in town.

But Wu, who lives in Hong Kong, didn’t want to pay B.C.’s 15 per cent foreign buyers tax, court documents said.

Chu is from Richmond, and Wu claims he helped her buy a home in the city by putting the land title and mortgage under his name.

Online real estate listings described a property at the same address as a two-storey home with a triple garage, five bathrooms and four bedrooms.

But Wu claimed that, despite never being named in the paperwork, she paid for the home and all associated costs — including this year’s property taxes — with her own cash.

According to Wu’s suit, Chu has lived in the home since she allegedly bought it.

The hitch? The couple broke up in August, and Wu claimed Chu is still living in the home and refuses to leave or transfer the property back to her, court documents said.

Despite the dispute, Wu claims she still stays in the house while visiting Canada, though the pair does not sleep together, but in separate beds.

Wu is suing Chu in BC Supreme Court and wants exclusive possession of the home and compensation for unlawful occupation of the property.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Been following this story.  She pays for things in cash, including major renovations as well as her bills and property taxes.  She has admitted to flying to and from mainland China repeatedly with bags full of cash that she doesn't declare

She's also refusing to backtrack on any of this and is implicating herself over the advice of her lawyer.

I mean...how does one get to be either so stupid as to not understand or so arrogant as to not believe they'll get punished

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Been following this story.  She pays for things in cash, including major renovations as well as her bills and property taxes.  She has admitted to flying to and from mainland China repeatedly with bags full of cash that she doesn't declare

She's also refusing to backtrack on any of this and is implicating herself over the advice of her lawyer.

I mean...how does one get to be either so stupid as to not understand or so arrogant as to not believe they'll get punished

You gotta be kidding me... she's admitted to this? What a dunce... 

21 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Can't afford a home in the greater Vancouver region?

Con a rich Chinese investor :lol:

Hmmm says she's the flight attendant and she met him in business class... to fly business you'd have to be pretty well off. I assume she has a wealthy family though and they were laundering money into the country like most Asians do (Chinese, Koreans, Iranians, Indians, etc) 

Canada %100 promotes money laundering within the country. I have friends in the exchange business and for about 6 months they were trying to put a stop to it and did for the most part... so laundering money in wasn't as easy... but then they eased up the rules and once again Canada %100 promotes it. 

It's the major reason the province has boomed. 

End of the day, I think they should give her the property... just tax her %15 based on its current assesment and then a stiff penalty on top. 

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

You gotta be kidding me... she's admitted to this? What a dunce... 

Hmmm says she's the flight attendant and she met him in business class... to fly business you'd have to be pretty well off. I assume she has a wealthy family though and they were laundering money into the country like most Asians do (Chinese, Koreans, Iranians, Indians, etc) 

Canada %100 promotes money laundering within the country. I have friends in the exchange business and for about 6 months they were trying to put a stop to it and did for the most part... so laundering money in wasn't as easy... but then they eased up the rules and once again Canada %100 promotes it. 

It's the major reason the province has boomed. 

End of the day, I think they should give her the property... just tax her %15 based on its current assesment and then a stiff penalty on top. 

Other way around slick. She's the business person, he is the flight attendant.

I hope the guy gets the entire house.  Serves the woman right for trying to avoid the tax.

I think the house is worth more than any additional taxes and penalties levied on the woman so she would be still ahead of the game.  On the other hand, if the guy gets it all he could be in for millions.

Archived