Sign in to follow this  
DonLever

Woman Puts Ex-Boyfriend's Name on Title to Avoid Foreign Buyers Tax, Now Wants it Back

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Broken BC

I blame the BC Liberal Party. 

Of course you do.

I'm starting to get the feeling you would blame the BC Liberal Party for the Canucks drafting Patrick White in 2007.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I agree.  I guess it all comes down to how important it is.  If they need to inspect more, and can't keep up with traffic, then add more inspectors or revamp processes to make things more efficient.

I think it all started back with the med fly problem a few decades back.  Maybe they feel that the problem is more manageable now, so enforcement can be relaxed.  Seems like they're just asking for trouble, but who am I to say.  The flies can still be found here, but I guess they haven't made much of a comeback, hence the half-effort in prevention.  Sure would hate to see the line of people coming back from Vegas though if they did have to enforce inspections.  The drive is bad enough now on Sundays that I make sure I come home mid-week to avoid it.

I have a passionate hatred for fruit flies. I think that's my last comment on this topic since we've now succeeded in getting entirely away from the point of OP's post.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Of course you do.

I'm starting to get the feeling you would blame the BC Liberal Party for the Canucks drafting Patrick White in 2007.  :lol:

BC Liberal Party would not have drafted Patrick White..   BC Liberals would have  encouraged  / sold the  pick  to  off Shore Investors with questionable income sources. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, DonLever said:

Jennie Wu and Johnny Chu began dating in the fall of 2016. Chu, a flight attendant, met Wu

I'm already confused.

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Of course you do.

@kingofsurrey see everybody realizes this about you.

17 hours ago, Green Building said:

So you didn't actually pay a fine, you just paid the taxes, right? I'd be shocked if it was $100 unless it was an expensive bottle, but double the cost of the bottle I would believe as I've declared scotch, wine, and beer over my limit and have paid the tax on it when necessary. I hate it to death, but having it confiscated is not something I want either. 

I declared a box of rare wines (to Canada, anyways) on my way home and the border guard yelled at me saying "YOU HAVEN"T DECLARED THEM, THAT"S MY JOB". Previous to his arrogant outburst, and my declaration right to his stupid face, I placed the box of wine right on the counter in front of him. To be honest I was just happy he didn't grab it and put it in the back room right away, although, if he shoved it up his ass I would have let him keep it without formal complaint.

I ended up continuing my legal declaration of liquor at customs (where the mouth breathing dink directed me to, and which I knew he would since it wasn't my first customs rodeo) and they gave me an honesty discount since the tax was actually quite high. I brought back a case, and they gave me a few bottles tax free. Better than nothing, but the liquor tax laws here are $&!#.

You think getting a nexus pass would help get around all of this?

Yeah I think it was just a tax..i don't even remember. It was a 26oz bottle of Ciroc and it wasn't really much cheaper across the border. Just more on a convenience for myself to grab it there on my way back. 

31 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@kingofsurrey see everybody realizes this about you.

Who cares.  We are all allowed opinions in Canada, its what makes Canada great.

Hesitant to jump into this gem of a story...just got out of the penalty box on this forum....but I could make sooooo many comments. But I'll show restraint...fk. Betcha this is just the tip of the iceberg that goes town in Vancouver with these kind of dealings.  Once read a comment from a member of our diplomatic core a few years back that the general feeling in the diplomatic service was that corruption was so entrenched in China and Hong Kong that all governmental agencies were tainted with the possible exception of the Weather Bureau or whatever they called it.  The reason being....no had yet had figured out how to control the weather.

23 hours ago, DonLever said:

The guy could deny he knew of the tax evasion scheme.  It is her word against his.  He could say the woman loved him and gave him cash as a gift toward buying the house.

Yep.  I LOVE this story.

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Broken BC

I blame the BC Liberal Party. 

Nothing to do with any party in power.  It's just the way of the land now unfortunately, greed and corruption and me and what I deserve. Canada no matter which party is in power federal or provincial plays doormat to the world.

1 minute ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Nothing to do with any party in power.  It's just the way of the land now unfortunately, greed and corruption and me and what I deserve. Canada no matter which party is in power federal or provincial plays doormat to the world.

BC government was way too slow on a foreign investors tax.  The tax should have applied to the entire province.

7 hours ago, Toews said:

1) Make money illicitly in your home country. 

2) Apply for immigration to Canada

3) Bring money to Canada.

4) Make investments mostly in real estate.

5) Repeat and skip step 2. 

The politicians and elites love it. The average person won't see a dime of that money but will be forced to pay outrageous prices if they wish to own a home. Someone said that these people don't care about Canada, on the contrary they love this country. They get to clean up all their dirty money and our politicians will always encourage them to bring over more. They get to live a nice life, don't have to pay taxes, don't have to support our communities and reap the rewards of living in an amazing city and live lives that locals can only dream of. Keep in mind not all immigrants are like this, most come here and toil away like the rest of us. 

You are a racist danger to the very fabric of this country!  Telling it exactly like it is upsets the apple cart we are not supposed to do that. God I luv ya bro. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC government was way too slow on a foreign investors tax.  The tax should have applied to the entire province.

This is going on all over the country regardless on who's the government.  Canada has been and will always be up for sale to the highest bidder.  No government has ever had the courage to stand up and say enough is enough.  And now with massive ethnic groups firmly entrenched here the all important vote at election time is a prized commodity.

Canadian homes , academic credentials and canadian citizenship all now for sale.  

Canadians are an easy mark. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canadian homes , academic credentials and canadian citizenship all now for sale.  

Canadians are an easy mark. 

We finally agree.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We finally agree.

Ever read about about Maple Leaf Education Systems....

Edited by kingofsurrey

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

I understand why people can't bring stuff in from another country, foreign pests, diseases and what not, but from what I've read those inspection stations in California are just for show. On busy days where congestion is measured by odometer they just end up waving people through to try and thin the lines. What's the point of it all then? Either do it, or don't. What's the point of stopping a boat with mussels on its prop if you're just going to allow 400 cars of kids each with a jar of bugs they're going to dump out as soon as they get home? 

I'm all for protecting California's agriculture though so maybe that's too simplistic of a breakdown. 

They took my mother in law's oranges, when she was crossing the border into Washington.

She pointed out the sticker on her orange, which said "grown in Florida"

On 9/21/2017 at 4:16 PM, Toews said:

I have a problem with both of them. They both deserve to have the book thrown at them. He agreed to go along with this and commit fraud with her. She gets the house but will have to pay the tax along with any other punitive damages for trying to get around the law. Not sure what would be appropriate for the man.

She should lose the house in fines and be banned from entering Canada for life. Australia did it right and banned foreign land purchases.  

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

They took my mother in law's oranges, when she was crossing the border into Washington.

She pointed out the sticker on her orange, which said "grown in Florida"

You can't bring oranges back into the US even if they were originally grown in the US ..

Something about they can get disease from other country's oranges.