I'll wait till it comes out on Netflix

riffraff

Discuss.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4298121

Victoria filmmaker used fake name to promote pricier tickets for white men

The event costs $15 for white males, and $10 for everyone else

The Canadian Press

September 21, 2017

CanadianMoney Shiraz Higgins admitted he used a pseudonym in an interview with The Canadian Press on Tuesday. (Karin Larsen/CBC)

A man behind a "justice-pricing" policy based on charging higher admission to white males attending the screening of his movie says he used a false name to promote it because he was concerned about a backlash that could risk his safety.

Shiraz Higgins said Wednesday he has received death threats at an email account he created with the false name Sid Mohammed and admitted he used the pseudonym in an interview with The Canadian Press a day earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I've been wanting to have a layer of safety between me and angry citizens in order to keep the tension from being completely locked in on me," he said, adding he feels "silly" for using a false name.

"I feel bad that it's clearly made some people upset and that it has undermined the overall message that we're sending out here," said Higgins, who is also the director of "Building the Room."

"It's clearly become very heated," he said of the response, adding the policy was not about "retribution or putting white men in their place or something like."

'This is not a publicity stunt'

However, Higgins, 27, said organizers of the premiere are sticking to their justice-pricing model to charge white males $15, while others pay $10 based on the purchasing power of individual groups and "price discrimination."

The 70-minute documentary-style movie is a behind-the-scenes look at comedians putting on a stand-up show, he said.

"This is not a publicity stunt," he said, adding organizers are "pushing forward because we believe it is an important piece of overall conversation that is happening in society right now."

Higgins said while there has been criticism, he has also heard from women who said they pay more than men for goods and services, including hair cuts and hygienic and cosmetic products.

Organizers are considering "adaptations" to better reflect the reality of prices, but couldn't say if they would be changed, he said.

IMG_2109.GIF

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

'This is not a publicity stunt'

However, Higgins, 27...

Said a 27 year old in the film industry. :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

he has also heard from women who said they pay more than men for goods and services, including hair cuts and hygienic and cosmetic products.

:lol: 

Well duh! My hairdresser spends 15-20 minutes on my cut every month. I also don't use cosmetic products like lipstick, mascara, blush, eyeliner, tampons/pads, etc, etc, etc.

Fail.

I am offended by the term 'white' it's Caucasian. 

Off topic(slighty):

We've all had it, that one call that makes everyone laugh, delivered with pin point accuracy and impeccable delivery.  For me it happened when a bunch of my friends were over watching a movie in my basement when we're in Grade 12.  The movie was the Shining and a lady friend goes:

"I hate movies were women are portrayed as being so stupid"

I replied: "I believe those movies are called documentaries" :lol:

Ladies don't hate me, I was young and just trying to make everyone laugh, including the ladies.  Mission accomplished.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Said a 27 year old in the film industry. :rolleyes:

:lol: 

Well duh! My hairdresser spends 15-20 minutes on my cut every month. I also don't use cosmetic products like lipstick, mascara, blush, eyeliner, tampons/pads, etc, etc, etc.

Fail.

Actually my favourite part of the article.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

If the movie had been about some sort of historical inequality, then his 'justice pricing' may have made sense on some level.  But it's not.  It's a comedy.

That's the ridiculous part of this. His "statement" has absolutely nothing to do with the movie itself.

Of course, this white male doesn't care, because I wasn't going to watch his movie anyways. And having to pay more for the same thing because I'm a white male is nothing new - happened in other countries as well (Mexico, Jamaica, India...). In fact, even in Canada I've had to wait in the car on many occasions to make sure my Indian wife and her family wouldn't get charged more by association!

I'm more of an "off white" male and I think this is so ridiculous, imagine if he was charging more for black males or muslim men? He would be crucified. 

Also I am not buying the part where women are agreeing because they have to pay more... it's not like white women have to pay more for things like haircuts etc.. it's all women. That is a gender issue, this is a racial issue. (Also as a side note I believe that men have to pay more for clothing than women, pay cover charge at nighclubs and pay for dating profiles when women don't etc... so it tends to balance out) 

Feeling "silly" for using a fake name? No he did it because he knew exactly what he was doing, which is racial profiling and he didn't want to suffer the consequences for his ignorant actions. Now he is outted as a racist and I would hope anyone who abhors racism would not give this guy a cent. 

IMO he should receive the same social backlash as any other racist out there. He can call it social justice, like I'm sure the Nazi's called it back in Germany in the day, but if we call a spade a spade, then it's racism pure and simple. 

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

I'm more of an "off white" male and I think this is so ridiculous, imagine if he was charging more for black males or muslim men? He would be crucified. 

Also I am not buying the part where women are agreeing because they have to pay more... it's not like white women have to pay more for things like haircuts etc.. it's all women. That is a gender issue, this is a racial issue. (Also as a side note I believe that men have to pay more for clothing than women, pay cover charge at nighclubs and pay for dating profiles when women don't etc... so it tends to balance out) 

Feeling "silly" for using a fake name? No he did it because he knew exactly what he was doing, which is racial profiling and he didn't want to suffer the consequences for his ignorant actions. Now he is outted as a racist and I would hope anyone who abhors racism would not give this guy a cent. 

IMO he should receive the same social backlash as any other racist out there. He can call it social justice, like I'm sure the Nazi's called it back in Germany in the day, but if we call a spade a spade, then it's racism pure and simple. 

As D-money stated there are many places where being white is associated with being affluent and you have to expect that you will have to deal with some price-gouging. You are probably better off handing your money over to a person of color and letting them negotiate you a fair price. I am not entirely sure you can call these people racists, I would say they are just opportunist a-holes.

I would be willing to bet that if you go into an area with more white folks you will likely see goods and services priced higher than if you went to an area with more people of color. People do not realize such price-gouging going on because nobody goes too far away from their neighborhood to buy $&!#. The only reason why he is facing backlash is because he was blatant and did this for a movie ticket. We all expect that we will pay the same price for movie ticket, so the same establishment demanding different prices from their consumers obviously raises red flags. In reality such price-gouging likely goes on all around us and we are none too wary about it. My point isn't that we should condone such practices, just that it's hypocritical to criticize one film-maker for his price-gouging while other businesses do the same and they are praised for their intelligence and their ability to target certain demographics. Where is the outrage there?

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

As D-money stated there are many places where being white is associated with being affluent and you have to expect that you will have to deal with some price-gouging. You are probably better off handing your money over to a person of color and letting them negotiate you a fair price. I am not entirely sure you can call these people racists, I would say they are just opportunist a-holes.

I would be willing to bet that if you go into an area with more white folks you will likely see goods and services priced higher than if you went to an area with more people of color. People do not realize such price-gouging going on because nobody goes too far away from their neighborhood to buy $&!#. The only reason why he is facing backlash is because he was blatant and did this for a movie ticket. We all expect that we will pay the same price for movie ticket, so the same establishment demanding different prices from their consumers obviously raises red flags. In reality such price-gouging likely goes on all around us and we are none too wary about it. My point isn't that we should condone such practices, just that it's hypocritical to criticize one film-maker for his price-gouging while other businesses do the same and they are praised for their intelligence and their ability to target certain demographics. Where is the outrage there?

I see what you're saying and I definitely agree to a certain extent, that being said what you are talking about is price gouging due to economic demographics. If people in an area say Malibu, California are charged more money than say Flint, Michigan for something, that can be reasonably expected because everything is priced higher in those areas. Wages will be higher in Malibu vs. Flint, as will property value... If we then look at the demographic of Malibu Vs. Flint I would suspect Malibu to have a majority of white people vs. Flint with a majority of black people. 

It's not right but it's not flagrant price gouging due to race... it's economic demographic price gouging which is different imo. Also for all people living in those areas the prices are higher whether they are white, black, hispanic... what have you. 

If this film maker was to say my movie costs 5 bucks to view it in Flint vs. 20 bucks to view it in Malibu, I don't think anyone would consider that racist, but he singled out white men. 

I will say the closest I have ever seen to this was when I was in Italy and they had different prices on the menu depending on what country you were from (Americans paid the most as a note of interest) 

58 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

I see what you're saying and I definitely agree to a certain extent, that being said what you are talking about is price gouging due to economic demographics. If people in an area say Malibu, California are charged more money than say Flint, Michigan for something, that can be reasonably expected because everything is priced higher in those areas. Wages will be higher in Malibu vs. Flint, as will property value... If we then look at the demographic of Malibu Vs. Flint I would suspect Malibu to have a majority of white people vs. Flint with a majority of black people. 

It's not right but it's not flagrant price gouging due to race... it's economic demographic price gouging which is different imo. Also for all people living in those areas the prices are higher whether they are white, black, hispanic... what have you. 

If this film maker was to say my movie costs 5 bucks to view it in Flint vs. 20 bucks to view it in Malibu, I don't think anyone would consider that racist, but he singled out white men. 

I will say the closest I have ever seen to this was when I was in Italy and they had different prices on the menu depending on what country you were from (Americans paid the most as a note of interest) 

I would add that using a fake name certainly lessens the legitimacy.  furthermore by using the name "Mohamed" in the name certainly only fans the flames relative to current would events.

as a white male I am not offended in the least by this tbh.  As I have traveled throughout the world I am used to paying the "foreigners" price.  Due to my fortune of being able to travel via financial means or the freedom to do so, overpaying for a bus ride or a meal is something I am more than willing to do....within reason of course.  I have a choice in the matter at the end of the day.

in this instance I just wonder where the f this guys head is at?  I see no potential positive result here.

3 hours ago, Aladeen said:

I love how people love to p*ss and moan about the US and it's people, but once we elect a clown into office who even hints that he's going to stop protecting the rest of the world, everybody goes bonkers because they aren't prepared to take care of themselves.  Italy is one of the many members of the less than 2% GDP defense spending club.

Archived