The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason GDT/PGT LA Kings Vs Canucks |Sept 23| 12:30AM | SN

AlwaysACanuckFan

3 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Apart from Boucher, those seem like interesting choices to me. Any idea what other guys they're trying to get on the ice?

I'm actually kind of surprised they're not taking a second look at Boucher, a player that is battling for 13th spot.

I'm guessing we might see Wiercioch and Biega in place of Del Zotto and Stecher. Upshall and White in place of Horvat and Boucher.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm actually kind of surprised they're not taking a second look at Boucher, a player that is battling for 13th spot.

I'm guessing we might see Wiercioch and Biega in place of Del Zotto and Stecher. Upshall and White in place of Horvat and Boucher.

Didn't White get a concussion and not travel with the team?

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Granlund has looked great - right where he left off - if not better in the sense that he looks like he's ready to play a bit bigger - and is healthier.

Baertschi appears to have gotten over the hump - won't need 20 or 30 games to regrow his confidence - he looks like an assertive NHLer from the get-go this year - good to see.

Vanek = hard to watch.  Never been a fan - hope he proves me wrong, but at this point he looks like the weakest link in the lineup - and that's a lineup with guys like Boucher skating in it.  Low risk signing, low cost and short term, but he needs to pick it up considerably or I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice his spot to make room for a young guy.

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd say when the smoke clears, that Vanek and Boucher are nothing more than placeholders for Boeser and Virtanen. Vanek is old, slow, lackadaisical, and flaky. Boucher, while young enough, hasn't really shown near enough to seriously or convincingly clamp down on a roster spot.

While many state that Boeser and Virtanen could, and surely would, benefit from top line minutes in Utica, it would be counterproductive, as both are doing everything they possibly can to convince management that they are ready for the big show. Not rewarding that would be a bad idea, as it would run against the "every spot is up for grabs" credo that has been prevalent.

The team needs the youth to step up. Boeser and Virtanen have. Simple as that.

36 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I agree that in the first China game against LA that Granlund and Baertschi looked like the best Canuck fowards on the ice and not just because they scored the two goals.

I also agree that it was hard to notice Vanek. He has a good scoring track record, but it is hard for me to see him ahead of Boeser on the depth chart right now.. Vanek will of course be on the team to start the season and Boeser might start in the season in Utica but I cannot see that lasting very long. Personally,  I would go with Boeser on a line with Horvat and Baertschi right now. No reason for Benning to get gun shy just because of the McCann and Virtanen experience two years ago. Boeser is a year older than they were and is completely different in personality (and much more mature). I also think he is much better player than they were when they broke in two years ago.

As for Boucher, I have never been a big fan. He has a good shot but does not bring two-way play to the table and does not provide much of a physical presence. I would rather see Virtanen on the team. I agree that it does not make sense for Virtanen to be 13th man, though. Either he plays or he should be in Utica. But in the 13th and maybe 14 man spots I would rather see Rodin and Upshall ahead of Boucher.

Game's starting soon. Gotta get the snacks and refreshments lined up. Then it's on to the couch for some Hockay.

Watch out for pos Dustin Brown, always lays the hits on when a guy is off balance. <_<

His only redeeming quality is that he grew up in New Jersey as a fan of the Canucks, so it's hard to totally hate the guy. :P

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Game's starting soon. Gotta get the snacks and refreshments lined up. Then it's on to the couch for some Hockay.

Watch out for pos Dustin Brown, always lays the hits on when a guy is off balance. <_<

His only redeeming quality is that he grew up in New Jersey as a fan of the Canucks, so it's hard to totally hate the guy. :P

That's cool! Never knew that, wasn't a big fan of him but this changes a lot.

Archived