The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason GDT/PGT LA Kings Vs Canucks |Sept 23| 12:30AM | SN

AlwaysACanuckFan

• b3. unfeatured and unpinned this topic
54 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Baertschi looks good, really good. I don't think he needs Horvat, who will take a while to get up to speed anyways 

I agree. I think Baertschi will be good even without Horvat. I also think Granlund looked great. He is so good at intercepting passes, getting in the passing lanes and not letting the opposing D's make easy outlets. He will cause a lot of turnovers.

Also, I like Sutter on the fourth line aided by Dorsett. He is more suited to crash the net style of play, which goes well with Dorsett. It will be Virtanen vs Upshall for the 4LW, which I think Upshall will win to begin the season but we will see.

After the game last night, these are my line up projection:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Baertschi-Granlund-Vanek

Sedin-Sedin-Gagner

Upshall-Sutter-Dorsett

Rodin

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think NHL is too late going to China.  Basketball is KING there, and all the kids dream of becoming Kobe, or Yao, not hockey players. Tickets were likely free even.

Better late than never.

This is the way I see it, you can't become professional basketball unless you are gifted with height. You have to be 6'3 to even want to be like Steph Curry. Hockey? If you are of average height, you have a chance to make it. If you are skilled, and you are taller than 5'9, then you've got a chance. So, once the kids start to watch McDavid, Kane, Crosby, etc, they will want to be like them with the real possibility of becoming like them.

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Baertschi looks good, really good. I don't think he needs Horvat, who will take a while to get up to speed anyways 

1 hour ago, khay said:

I agree. I think Baertschi will be good even without Horvat. I also think Granlund looked great. He is so good at intercepting passes, getting in the passing lanes and not letting the opposing D's make easy outlets. He will cause a lot of turnovers.

Also, I like Sutter on the fourth line aided by Dorsett. He is more suited to crash the net style of play, which goes well with Dorsett. It will be Virtanen vs Upshall for the 4LW, which I think Upshall will win to begin the season but we will see.

After the game last night, these are my line up projection:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Baertschi-Granlund-Vanek

Sedin-Sedin-Gagner

Upshall-Sutter-Dorsett

Rodin

I have the same read as @Zhukini and @khay . I have been thinking that Horvat and Baertschi would play together but I actually like Baertschi with Granlund a lot. They complement each other well. Not sure if Vanek sticks as the RW with them but that is a decent way to start. That frees up Horvat to play with Eriksson and Boeser, which I also like as Boeser is obviously the shooter and Eriksson and Horvat should be good at setting him up and can also put the puck in the net. That line would have some speed (Horvat) and would be good defensively.

The Sedins with Gagner would be a decent "scoring" third line with limited minutes and not too many D-zone starts, and could play the PP.

I like Sutter as 4C. I have been critical of Sutter as I think he is overpaid and certainly not "foundational". I also did not like his slightly condescending comments about Goldy last year (balls) or about Horvat when Sutter first joined the team. But Sutter does some things well. He is good on the PK and he is good defensively. He can definitely play shutdown, and can provide secondary scoring, often creating opportunities himself that he cashes in on. But he is not good at passing or at puck handling and does not "make guys around him better". I have been thinking he could play with Eriksson and Granlund but that would probably waste the offensive abilities of both those guys, although that would be a very good shutdown line.

However, I like playing Sutter with Dorsett. With another high energy winger, that could be an excellent 4th line that could actually play shutdown in a lot of situations. I agree that I see that Virtanen and Upshall as candidates for that spot. I also think Burmistrov is contending for that spot. Right now I would probably put Virtanen in the spot and have Burmi as 13th man. I have not seen enough from Upshall to think he wins that competition. Then Rodin could be 14th man if the Canucks go with only 7 D on the 23-man roster. The other possibility I see is to put Burmi on the 4th line, send Virtanen to Utica, have Rodin as 13th man and carry 8 D. 

That would mean waiving Boucher (along with Megna and Chaput, of course). 

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have the same read as @Zhukini and @khay . I have been thinking that Horvat and Baertschi would play together but I actually like Baertschi with Granlund a lot. They complement each other well. Not sure if Vanek sticks as the RW with them but that is a decent way to start. That frees up Horvat to play with Eriksson and Boeser, which I also like as Boeser is obviously the shooter and Eriksson and Horvat should be good at setting him up and can also put the puck in the net. That line would have some speed (Horvat) and would be good defensively.

The Sedins with Gagner would be a decent "scoring" third line with limited minutes and not too many D-zone starts, and could play the PP.

I like Sutter as 4C. I have been critical of Sutter as I think he is overpaid and certainly not "foundational". I also did not like his slightly condescending comments about Goldy last year (balls) or about Horvat when Sutter first joined the team. But Sutter does some things well. He is good on the PK and he is good defensively. He can definitely play shutdown, and can provide secondary scoring, often creating opportunities himself that he cashes in on. But he is not good at passing or at puck handling and does not "make guys around him better". I have been thinking he could play with Eriksson and Granlund but that would probably waste the offensive abilities of both those guys, although that would be a very good shutdown line.

However, I like playing Sutter with Dorsett. With another high energy winger, that could be an excellent 4th line that could actually play shutdown in a lot of situations. I agree that I see that Virtanen and Upshall as candidates for that spot. I also think Burmistrov is contending for that spot. Right now I would probably put Virtanen in the spot and have Burmi as 13th man. I have not seen enough from Upshall to think he wins that competition. Then Rodin could be 14th man if the Canucks go with only 7 D on the 23-man roster. The other possibility I see is to put Burmi on the 4th line, send Virtanen to Utica, have Rodin as 13th man and carry 8 D. 

That would mean waiving Boucher (along with Megna and Chaput, of course). 

I do like a lot of what you've written here. One thing that gives me pause is that I'm not that sold on Gagner with the Sedins. I tend towards having Granlund there. 

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I do like a lot of what you've written here. One thing that gives me pause is that I'm not that sold on Gagner with the Sedins. I tend towards having Granlund there. 

regards,  G.

Granlund.... the modern version of Hansen.

Can play on any line and make it work.

13 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

My take on that last piece, for what it's worth:

Out of place: Vanek, sometimes Gagner and Edler, Nilsson- some brutal botches and missed plays, out of position, can't catch a pass (or puck!) or put the puck on net

In place: Baer, Granlund, sometimes Eriksson and Burmi, Wiercoch, Tanev- gorgeously smooth skating, always in position, consistently crashing the net to create scoring chances/actually scoring, good pace and passing

Just sort of there, floating around: Sedins, everyone else- I mean, they were there, and did play the game after all

Really? You thought Vanek looked out of place? I thought he was the best player on the ice. The first half of the game it was only him and Baer that were putting in any work. Vanek looked great that game. 

Baring in mind this is a small sample and these are exhibition games, players who stood out for me by showing a desire to make the team were:

Dorsett - He has come back better than ever and his physicality is matched only by Biega. For a player who has had neck bone fusion he must either have a hell of a lot of faith in his surgeon or he has even bigger balls than I thought he had. He also has something not often discussed on here and that is speed. It is his speed and ability to play with his line mates that makes him a sure thing imo.

Beiga - I doubt Green can ignore this guy's will to compete. Not only that but his willingness to join the attack. If he had played with the name "Stecher" on his back these boards would be raving about him.

Burmistrov - The 4th line is just too far down for this player imo. He is physical, has a bit of push back, has the IQ to play an intelligent game and has the skill to make an impact. Could he be the "Burr" we have been searching for?

Baertschi - hasn't missed a beat since last season.

Granlund - see Baertschi.

Loui - deserves a break for his hard work.

Sutter - an important piece.

Tanev - class

Edler - still our rock.

Hutton - looks a bit bigger and seems more ambitious.

Guddy - too early to say.

Weircioch - see Guddy

Imo no rookie coach is going to leave these players out of the team.

Players who disappointed me in these games.

Upshall, Gagner, Vanek, (I would leave out any of them if they don't show more in the first 10 games of the reg season) the Sedins (they will continue to frustrate as they age, with needless passes to each other when better placed team mates are available, brainfart passes which put team mates in trouble, miserable attempts at back checking and yes, spells of pure Sedinary)

LaBate (we have better now) 

Nilsson looks shaky. We are going to rue letting Miller go.

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Really? You thought Vanek looked out of place? I thought he was the best player on the ice. The first half of the game it was only him and Baer that were putting in any work. Vanek looked great that game. 

That's what I was thinking... Maybe not the best but definitely top 3 at the very least. 

I don't care for preseason but his game had impressed me. 

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, alfstonker said:

Nilsson looks shaky. We are going to rue letting Miller go.

Miller wasn't "let go". He chose to not resign with the Canucks because he was a UFA, and opted to work much closer to home, with a last ditch attempt at a Cup with Anaheim.

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Miller wasn't "let go". He chose to not resign with the Canucks because he was a UFA, and opted to work much closer to home, with a last ditch attempt at a Cup with Anaheim.

That's not true. He stated plenty of times he wanted to continue to play with the Canucks. Canucks didn't want him unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That's not true. He stated plenty of times he wanted to continue to play with the Canucks. Canucks didn't want him unfortunately. 

Article here on how he missed seeing his son grow up and how that motivated his decision to turn down the Canucks.

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

See below.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Article here on how he missed seeing his son grow up and how that motivated his decision to turn down the Canucks.

Danke schoen

Archived