The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Leadership

stanleycanucks

Sedin's are wonderful people, amazing leaders in the community, hard workers, patient and seemingly good leaders on the ice. They are just good people period!

The one and only knock I have against them is they are extremely passive. I don't know if that's why we have had such a passive team for so long or not. But I find myself questioning sometimes if our lack of push back is a result of there leadership.

One thing I am certain of is that the Sedin's have given everything they can and more to this team and the city. They may or may not be the perfect leaders but it's not from a lack of trying and that's all we can ask of anybody.

First and foremost I have to say I would guess 95% of the people making comments about certain players leadership abilities have no clue what players are like in the dressing room, on the bench or otherwise engaged in team activities and are simply making their judgments based on the persons own opinion of the players on ice performance.

A leader needs to lead by example first and foremost and be what the organization strives to become. This encompasses a multitude of difference elements I will not get into. A leader also needs to build consensus so everyone is on the same page heading in the same direction, which can be produced with different tactics depending on the leader and individual, but ultimately there cannot be too much dissent in your game plan or people will work against or with lowered expectations and thus efforts and results.

Communication is vital. Commitment. Work ethic. Attitude. Consistency. Execution. This last part can be a crucial caveat when it comes to physical sports.

I think when you fail to deliver in sports for example it does erode on anyone's ability to deliver an acceptable message to your team and expect them to believe it.

Ultimately you need to cede your role as a leader to another when you cannot produce the results needed to inspire those around you. It is why even good coaches get recycled most of the time as their message gets hollow after a while if the teams results do not improve adequately even though it may not be truly their fault in the big picture.

Archived