The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU petition to change Clan name....

kingofsurrey

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't the name about the Clans of Scotland?  I thought it was simply that Simon Fraser, whom the school is named after, descends from a Scottish Clan bearing his name.  People are barking up the wrong tree, with this crusade.

It is. I looked up a photo of the prof instigating this and well......she looks exactly like the kind of person you would think would spearhead something like this. 

Just now, Gnarcore said:

It is. I looked up a photo of the prof instigating this and well......she looks exactly like the kind of person you would think would spearhead something like this. 

I don't get it though.  There's nothing wrong with the name.  Does she hate the Scottish?

I'm sorry, but if students and people in the United States are too ignorant to be able to differentiate between an apple and an orange, then that's their problem. They need to correct their outlook on the world, and life itself.

Constantly changing things because "it might be perceived the wrong way" is a disservice to all of humanity. It excuses people from having to think critically and it collectively dumbs down society. And this is coming from a Professor of Philosophy at a prestigious university.

I mean, the level of irony is unpalatable and it actually makes me mad that someone so ignorant can rise to such a level where they are responsible for the higher education of others, and thus in a position to propagate the rhetoric.

At least University students are not quite as impressionable or gullible as high school students, but if I was paying tuition (significant levels of tuition btw), to go to this school, and this kind of garbage was allowed to fester I would be beyond livid.

Just now, Gnarcore said:

Says it has different connotations in the US and it is wrong of the school, who plays down there, to keep it. 

Scottish Clan, spelled with a "C"

Ku Klux Klan, spelled with a "K"

They are DIFFERENT words that are simply pronounced the same.  

Jesus, her entire argument is predicated on the view that "some people might have their feelings hurt". That's life, not everyone is capable nor equipped to deal with it. The rest of the majority that can shouldn't have to deal with the bleeding heart crusades of ignorant fools.

One commenter wrote that when she hears The Clan, she immediately thinks of the KKK, and as a black SFU student, she didn't think that was fair.

Hahahahahhahahahahaha.

What a crazy, messed up world this is becoming. How can so many people simply just NOT comprehend or think critically instead of predicating their actions on how they feel? Action should be taken on fact, not the sensitivity of people incapable of not making a big deal out of nothing.

so because Americans are too lazy to ask, or google the meaning, the university should change the name of its sports teams.  I played there in 90s and not once did anyone every mention something like this.  

The professor who started this is an idiot. 

32 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I'm sorry, but if students and people in the United States are too ignorant to be able to differentiate between an apple and an orange, then that's their problem. They need to correct their outlook on the world, and life itself.

Constantly changing things because "it might be perceived the wrong way" is a disservice to all of humanity. It excuses people from having to think critically and it collectively dumbs down society. And this is coming from a Professor of Philosophy at a prestigious university.

I mean, the level of irony is unpalatable and it actually makes me mad that someone so ignorant can rise to such a level where they are responsible for the higher education of others, and thus in a position to propagate the rhetoric.

At least University students are not quite as impressionable or gullible as high school students, but if I was paying tuition (significant levels of tuition btw), to go to this school, and this kind of garbage was allowed to fester I would be beyond livid.

Mic drop, end thread

Archived