The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU petition to change Clan name....

kingofsurrey

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Scottish Clan, spelled with a "C"

Ku Klux Klan, spelled with a "K"

They are DIFFERENT words that are simply pronounced the same.  

They say it sounds the same.  One look at the spelling and anyone with half a brain would clue in that its not the KKK but you know how people are these days, to damn sensitive about everything. If these recent events hadn't happened in the USA no one would have second guessed it but everyone wants to make a name for themselves

13 hours ago, VanGnome said:

By the very same logic, UBC should change it's name from the Thunderbirds to something else, because they are obviously misappropriating aboriginal culture. FFS, this is just absurd. I can't let it go! How can people be so ignorant?

At least "thunderbird" would be a somewhat localized and potentially religious reason to discuss a change. I'm sure if the SFU team were called the Flying Jesuses some people might have an issue with it and want to discuss it. 

The interesting part of this story is its an example of how the far left and far right in Canada often associate with American extremes. We've got a lot of people on the far right up here that love Trump, and then we have people on the far left like the petition authour who wants to make sure she doesn't potentially offend someone in the US. 

But this is ridiculous. Canada has a proud Scottish history and there's no reason to hide it. If someone in the US is offended we just need to politely explain that they need to pay more attention to Canadian history. 

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It baffles me that it's the educational institutions that are propagating this stuff more than anyone else, particularly universities and colleges. You'd think they'd know better.

Christina Hoff Sommers said in an interview that after 2nd wave feminism, most women went back to leading normal lives, getting married, having kids, while still having a career, but the radicals went on to get tenure... actually explains a lot

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

In what way is an educational institution propagating 'this stuff'?

It seems to me that every time I hear about ridiculous politically correct stuff or extreme leftism, it's always in universities and colleges.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It seems to me that every time I hear about ridiculous politically correct stuff or extreme leftism, it's always in universities and colleges.

a PhD guy I used to work with said this stuff only happens in universities because the stakes there are so low. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That's not up to the institution though. They can't prevent their faculty or alumni from pursuing nonsense like this. Universities and colleges do advocate for free speech, its often the students that want to shout down anything they do not like.

Political correctness doesn't just exist only on the left either, there is right wing political correctness as well. Right wing politicians have threatened to cut funding to oppose open and frank discussion about homosexuality. Or check out the recent rescinding of an invitation to Chelsea Manning who is widely viewed as a traitor. Try extending an invite to an Islamist and see how long it takes for the right to pitch a fit.

There are a lot of liberals in colleges so left-wing political correctness is far more prevalent. If you want to see another example of political correctness on the right see Trump's latest comments on Colin Kaepernick exercising his right to free speech. Trump wants anyone doing that to be fired.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

That's not up to the institution though. They can't prevent their faculty or alumni from pursuing nonsense like this. Universities and colleges do advocate for free speech, its often the students that want to shout down anything they do not like.

Political correctness doesn't just exist only on the left either, there is right wing political correctness as well. Right wing politicians have threatened to cut funding to oppose open and frank discussion about homosexuality. Or check out the recent rescinding of an invitation to Chelsea Manning who is widely viewed as a traitor. Try extending an invite to an Islamist and see how long it takes for the right to pitch a fit.

There are a lot of liberals in colleges so left-wing political correctness is far more prevalent. If you want to see another example of political correctness on the right see Trump's latest comments on Colin Kaepernick exercising his right to free speech. Trump wants anyone doing that to be fired.

I suppose it depends from school to school. At my university it definitely somewhat felt like leftism was preferred by the institution, but then, I'm a bit biased as one leaning more to the right, so I might just be painting myself as the victim.

Your point about political correctness on both sides is noted though. I've never really thought about it, but I guess it does go both ways.

On 2017-09-22 at 6:03 PM, VanGnome said:

I'm sorry, but if students and people in the United States are too ignorant to be able to differentiate between an apple and an orange, then that's their problem. They need to correct their outlook on the world, and life itself.

Constantly changing things because "it might be perceived the wrong way" is a disservice to all of humanity. It excuses people from having to think critically and it collectively dumbs down society. And this is coming from a Professor of Philosophy at a prestigious university.

I mean, the level of irony is unpalatable and it actually makes me mad that someone so ignorant can rise to such a level where they are responsible for the higher education of others, and thus in a position to propagate the rhetoric.

At least University students are not quite as impressionable or gullible as high school students, but if I was paying tuition (significant levels of tuition btw), to go to this school, and this kind of garbage was allowed to fester I would be beyond livid.

Great post

On 9/22/2017 at 6:19 PM, VanGnome said:

By the very same logic, UBC should change it's name from the Thunderbirds to something else, because they are obviously misappropriating aboriginal culture. FFS, this is just absurd. I can't let it go! How can people be so ignorant?

I thought  the T Birds were named after Zapdos  

Archived