The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who are our starting 8 dmen at the end of October?

J.I.A.H.N

Who are the Canuck Dmen at the end of OCT - No injuries  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay I will bite...

1st - Edler and Stecher

2nd - Hutton with Gudbranson (they were starting to develop some good chemistry before Guddy went down for the season)

3rd - Del Zotto and Tanev

Your extra two D are likely to be Wiercioch and Chatfield. Jalen has played exceptionally well and I could see him getting his shot at the bigtime.

At this point I'd be surprised if its anything other than:

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

MDZ-Guddy

Biega-Wiercioch

Unless a D comes up on waivers thats just too good to pass on. 

Chatfield has been fun to watch but a season in Utica won't hurt him one bit and so far he hasn't really played against much NHL level talent.

Can I ask why people are big on Wiercioch and Biega? Chatfield provides offence without the liability that Subban brings. He's big. 

I'm not even sold on Del Zotto but at least he seems to be improving game by game.

What you see from Biega is what you get. A hard working journeyman that you can plug in for injuries, but isn't a long term solution. 

Holm, Subban, and BriseBois needs to go to the minors. Juolevi would be good to learn to play against men in Finland for a season and get a ton of ice time. 

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can I ask why people are big on Wiercioch and Biega? Chatfield provides offence without the liability that Subban brings. He's big. 

I'd like to see how Chatfield does against a more close to regular NHL competition first. Maybe he'll get one of the last 2 regular season games. 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not even sold on Del Zotto but at least he seems to be improving game by game.

What you see from Biega is what you get. A hard working journeyman that you can plug in for injuries, but isn't a long term solution. 

Holm, Subban, and BriseBois needs to go to the minors. Juolevi would be good to learn to play against men in Finland for a season and get a ton of ice time. 

Weircoich and Biega are safe bets.  

Chatfield is an interesting choice though.  21 year old, undrafted, and played with the Windsor Spitfires until 20 (last year).  At 6'1" 187 I wouldn't call him big but the way he produced in the last 2 years in Windsor (10-27-37, 8-20-28) I can see why Benning said that Chatfield was one to watch.

Why no Pedan in the poll? Also I like what Biega brings but why would we take him instead of Pedan or McEneny who both have to clear waivers. Both are younger, have played well this preseason, and have higher upsides then Biega. Biega has a good chance of clearing waivers while McEneny is a young talented D another team might take a chance on. Or if you want toughness to play 8th D/ 4th line Pedan is a guy with good size and skating ability.

Edler-Stetcher

Hutton-Tanev

Zotto-Guddy

Wiercioch-McEneny

33 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Weircoich and Biega are safe bets.  

Chatfield is an interesting choice though.  21 year old, undrafted, and played with the Windsor Spitfires until 20 (last year).  At 6'1" 187 I wouldn't call him big but the way he produced in the last 2 years in Windsor (10-27-37, 8-20-28) I can see why Benning said that Chatfield was one to watch.

Safe isn't exactly a big plus.

But don't forget McEneny, who requires waivers this year. He's less likely to clear than Biega so I would say he and Weircioch are the 7 and 8. There's also Holm in the mix so we don't have to rush Chatfield, but otherwise I'd guess just what Jimmy McGill has:

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Safe isn't exactly a big plus.

But don't forget McEneny, who requires waivers this year. He's less likely to clear than Biega so I would say he and Weircioch are the 7 and 8. There's also Holm in the mix so we don't have to rush Chatfield, but otherwise I'd guess just what Jimmy McGill has:

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson

I watched only the 1st period last night and thought that McEneny looked poised.

An afterthought to my post is that I think that they wouldn't mind Weircoich or Biega sitting in the press box while Chatfield and McEneny should play

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Another year in Utica won't be a bad thing for Chatfield, he'll get 20mins a game and really start to dial in on the little things.

Weird and Biega have proven to be effective enough in the NHL to take the 7--8D, low minute spots.

Edler- Stecher 

Hutton - Tanev

Mdz - Guddy

Weird - Biega

Edit- I forgot about McEneny... Gotta waive somebody

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats interesting - why do you think Green goes with that pairing? 

Edler-Tanev is the closest to a top-pairing that can play against any top line.  So I think he'll want them together.  I see Hutton-Stecher as a sheltered pairing.  

It's also the pairings he had in Shanghai.  In Beijing Wiercioch-Biega were the sheltered pairing.  Hutton moved up to play with Gudbranson but Edler-Tanev continued to play together as the top pairing.

McEneny and Chatfield have been our best D in the 3 games our prospects have played, and both could become regulars on the roster in the next few years if they continue to progress.  They will have to play very well in the last 2 preseason games to have a chance at the roster.  It is worrisome if McEneny gets sent down, as he could be claimed off of waivers, but most teams have players in his spot as well.  Brisebios could be someone to keep an eye on, he has shown flashes of being an NHL player.   Wiercoch should be a lock, and Biega as well, because he can slot in at wing if needed.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Edler-Tanev is the closest to a top-pairing that can play against any top line.  So I think he'll want them together.  I see Hutton-Stecher as a sheltered pairing.  

It's also the pairings he had in Shanghai.  In Beijing Wiercioch-Biega were the sheltered pairing.  Hutton moved up to play with Gudbranson but Edler-Tanev continued to play together as the top pairing.

it will be interesting to see if that sticks through the last preseason games. One good aspect of Hutton-Stecher if that gels is thats a nice young 2nd pairing we can keep going for quite a while. 

Archived