Sign in to follow this  
kurtzfan

With the increased min. wage in Alberta, how will it affect BC economy?

Recommended Posts

Alberta

$12.20

Minimum wage will rise to $13.60 per hour on October 1, 2017, and to $15 per hour on October 1, 2018.

For more information, click here.

British Columbia

$11.35

On September 15, 2017, the minimum wage rose to $11.35. The government has announced they will appoint a Fair Wages Commission to recommend future minimum wage increases in an effort to address the difference between the minimum wage and the living wage.

 

Ontario

$11.40

On October 1, 2017, the minimum wage will increase to $11.60 per hour. (The government has introduced legislation to raise the minimum wage to $14/hour on January 1, 2018 and to $15/hour on January 1, 2019. This legislation has not yet passed.)

https://globalnews.ca/news/2936591/its-official-albertas-minimum-wage-will-be-15-an-hour-by-2018/

 

 

 

 

Labour Minister Christina Gray says cabinet has passed the required regulation to not only raise the rate to $12.20 an hour this October, but also to boost it by $1.40 an hour again in October 2017 and finally in October 2018.

The changes can only be rescinded by Premier Rachel Notley’s cabinet or by a successor government.

 

 

he move aligns with promises made by Notley and Gray to hike the wage.

“One of the things we heard strongly from many of the stakeholders, including business, was the desire for certainty, to know what was coming,” said Gray in an interview.

“In July we laid out the plan for all three years, and now we’ve enacted that plan for all three years.”

Gray said it’s critical to pay lower-end earners a fair wage, adding the money will be re-invested into the economy.

“We are committed to supporting to our low-wage Albertans, people who are working full-time jobs and are still not able to make ends meet,” she said.

“We know that Alberta has the highest percentage of food bank use (for) working people.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At my old job in Langley we couldnt hold onto decent warehouse staff for under $15 an hour anyways. Be interesting to see how that (and everyone else in the $15 to 20 range) go up as the minimum wage increases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim Hortons workers in Red Deer were making $32k a year with benefits before the crash.  The hike is mostly for in city positions and away from central or northern alberta.  Jobs already pay/paid quite handsomly.

 

But I am sure none of our opinions will matter coming in in short order someone will tell us why this is terrible and "2019"

 

:bigblush:

Edited by Warhippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All raising the minimum wage does is make the middle class poorer.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tim Hortons workers in Red Deer were making $32k a year with benefits before the crash.  The hike is mostly for in city positions and away from central or northern alberta.  Jobs already pay/paid quite handsomly.

 

But I am sure none of our opinions will matter coming in in short order someone will tell us why this is terrible and "2019"

 

:bigblush:

in grand prairie most of the gas stations are full serve and manned by retiree's .most of the fast food restaurants are also manned with retiree's its been 4 or 5 years since I was there but these jobs then were paying $18.00 an hr. it might be a little different with the down turn  but I was told by an old fella at an A&W the younger people could find better paying jobs in the oil and gas

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chon derry said:

in grand prairie most of the gas stations are full serve and manned by retiree's .most of the fast food restaurants are also manned with retiree's its been 4 or 5 years since I was there but these jobs then were paying $18.00 an hr. it might be a little different with the down turn  but I was told by an old fella at an A&W the younger people could find better paying jobs in the oil and gas

I remember my first stint tying in scaffloding and building tanks in ft Mac, the kid at the safeway was making almost $40,000 a year stocking shelves at night waiting to be called in to the patch somewhere

 

I just look at this as meh honestly.  Some people will say it's kicking us while we're down; but the truth is outside of southern alberta and the major urban centers this doesn't really affect much because most people already make well over $15 an hour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

in grand prairie most of the gas stations are full serve and manned by retiree's .most of the fast food restaurants are also manned with retiree's its been 4 or 5 years since I was there but these jobs then were paying $18.00 an hr. it might be a little different with the down turn  but I was told by an old fella at an A&W the younger people could find better paying jobs in the oil and gas

Same in BC or anywhere.

The more discomfort, the more the wage. I doubt Vancouver's kids have any clue of this correlation, hence the party we just voted in. 

 

It would be too problematic for my account here if I accurately accounted the workforce demographics of these minimum wage-type, service industry positions. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Same in BC or anywhere.

The more discomfort, the more the wage. I doubt Vancouver's kids have any clue of this correlation, hence the party we just voted in. 

 

It would be too problematic for my account here if I accurately accounted the workforce demographics of these minimum wage-type, service industry positions. 

 

 

I am not against workers making closer to a living wage....  

 

If my Tim Hortons coffee goes up  5 - 10 cents  i will just have to try to deal with it.

 

 People need to care more about their fellow Canadians.......

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully support a living wage. People argue people in the service industry (McDonald workers, people we take for granted) shouldnt make a living wage as the job is for highschool children but it isnt. They deserve a living wage and people who have higher qualification/ skilled jobs simply deserve more then a living wage.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am not against workers making closer to a living wage....  

 

If my Tim Hortons coffee goes up  5 - 10 cents  i will just have to try to deal with it.

 

 People need to care more about their fellow Canadians.......

Is that right.

Do you care about the small business owner too?

All this does is widen the gap between the 1 and 99.

 

They aren't all Tim Hortons though. They are the cafes I visit in the province and the small town folks brave enough to explore enterprise. There are several aspects to debate about the assumptions and myths out there concerning this topic.

 

I made 4.00/h as a 15 year-old sanding cars in a body shop. I'm not against raising minimum wage, but understand the consequences for the folks creating the jobs. People tend to look only at their own feet. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I fully support a living wage. People argue people in the service industry (McDonald workers, people we take for granted) shouldnt make a living wage as the job is for highschool children but it isnt. They deserve a living wage and people who have higher qualification/ skilled jobs simply deserve more then a living wage.

It was.

Thats how these nations built themselves. Immigration completely changed that. 

The system was never the same after new Canadians and soon to be pensioners and middle aged women began to occupy the cash registers at Dairy Queen, etc. 

The system wasn't built for this. Competition is good for everyone. I'm glad to see it, actually, but now these folks consider it "a living wage".

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is house prices have nearly doubled if not tripled for some areas, gas has gone up to $1.40 in vancouver approx from the days of gas being under 40 cents. We live in a world where we need automobiles to get to work, food costs have gone up....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

 

Socialist views drive me nuts some times because of the daydreaming, unrealistic thoughts on equality out there.

 

 

Alt right views drive me crazy some times because of the daydreaming , unrealistic thoughts on inequality out there.

 

A living wage creates consumers that spend and create even more jobs.   Having hundreds   or thousands of homeless in our parks is just creating huge social costs on our economy through emergency wards, police, fire , and social workers.....  

 

My dad taught me young no such thing as a free lunch.     

Edited by kingofsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will probably affect day labour places more as they pay pretty terrible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alt right views drive me crazy some times because of the daydreaming , unrealistic thoughts on inequality out there.

 

A living wage creates consumers that spend and create even more jobs.   Having hundreds   or thousands of homeless in our parks is just creating huge social costs on our economy through emergency wards, police, fire , and social workers.....  

 

My dad taught me young no such thing as a free lunch.     

Assuming the homeless are fit for work.  With all due respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alt right views drive me crazy some times because of the daydreaming , unrealistic thoughts on inequality out there.

 

A living wage creates consumers that spend and create even more jobs.   Having hundreds   or thousands of homeless in our parks is just creating huge social costs on our economy through emergency wards, police, fire , and social workers.....  

 

My dad taught me young no such thing as a free lunch.     

Alt right?

I hope you're not inferring I'm interested in identity politics enough to be party to it. 

 

Love your posts, but you're a naive dude sometimes! Ah, hell, I can't judge anyone. I'm a full-on idiot about most things anyways, but I know enough to know a utopia will never happen with animals. Orwell, he knew. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.