The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Prediction] Canucks players will kneel during the American anthem in the first game of the season

DoughtysCheck

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

One of the moments that transcends sport.  Even the white Australian who won silver (Peter Norman) got blackballed and wasn't allowed to compete in the Munich games, just for standing with them in support.

If you're white, you have no right to criticism the method that black athletes are employing to raise awareness of some very serious issues.  I doubt any Canucks will be doing this, but I'd be very, very proud of any player who chose to do so.

I get what you are trying to say Heffy but people have a right to express their opinion and criticise this movement just as the players have every right to freedom of expression.

As has been said they aren't being disrespectful to the flag as defined by the Flag Code of the US nor is it their intention to insult the country. They are exercising their right to peacefully protest.

17 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Give me a break. Anybody who kneels during a national anthem is not only incredibly disrespectful, it's also narcissistic and downright immature.

I disagree. I think what is going through the NFL has been a harmless yet effective protest to the injustice that goes on south of the border. It has everybody talking about it which is a good thing. The Steelers didn't even come out for the anthem which I thought was awesome given Trump's most recent rant. You can't possibly think that every player in the NFL that takes a knee or sits during the anthem is narcissistic and immature? They are peacefully protesting for a just cause, as is their right.

All that being said I don't think it makes it to hockey, especially not the Canucks as we have a largely European player population and we are a Canadian based team.

"We're not going to play politics. We're football players, we're football coaches," Tomlin said. "We're not participating in the anthem today - not to be disrespectful to the anthem, but to remove ourselves from the circumstance.

"People shouldn't have to choose. If a guy wants to go about his normal business and participate in the anthem, he shouldn't be forced to choose sides. If a guy feels the need to do something, he shouldn't be separated from his teammate who chooses not to."

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I disagree. I think what is going through the NFL has been a harmless yet effective protest to the injustice that goes on south of the border. It has everybody talking about it which is a good thing. The Steelers didn't even come out for the anthem which I thought was awesome given Trump's most recent rant. You can't possibly think that every player in the NFL that takes a knee or sits during the anthem is narcissistic and immature? They are peacefully protesting for a just cause, as is their right.

All that being said I don't think it makes it to hockey, especially not the Canucks as we have a largely European player population and we are a Canadian based team.

Actually that's exactly what he thinks. Any kind of nuance seems to be lost on him, he likes painting large groups of individuals with broad strokes. 

3 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

For what it's worth, my aunt and uncle are pro-kneeling, and they're both veterans of the US military. They also grew up as poor blacks in the southern US during the civil rights era (my dad, their brother, actually marched with MLK).

Thats worth a lot. I see this as very much a free speech issue. Its also one where people like to beat others over the head with patriotism, as if they have more right to be a citizen and quash someone else's right to free speech. We have lots of those types north of the border too. 

35 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

The reason this is plausible is because other "white first" sports such as tennis and baseball is starting to support solidarity. 

You think this is dumb until civil war which is months away from happening starts

Civil war?  Don't you think that's taking things a little far?  This is a political topic and doesn't belong under this thread  .   

17 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

[Prediction] Canucks players will kneel during the American anthem in the first game of the season

No they won't. The first game of the season is vs. Edmonton. There will be no American anthem.

tryagain.png

BOOM. There it is.

We can shut this dumb thread down now.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived