The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Would you won't you Tampa/Vancouver

Warhippy

21 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If Y's smart he would get some cap relief, making us a good partner. Foote looks good and 5.3 Million looks daunting next year. Who do they have to sign?

Only really Namestnikov but in a couple years they’ll have to re-sign Kucherov and if they don’t move Callahan they’ll still have him on the books at that time. 

22 minutes ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

So we give them basically garbage and a 2nd round pick and they give us a very good D prospect, picked in the first round only a few months ago? Yeah I don't see a situation where this would ever be accepted by TBay. 

So you’re saying they’d be fine with the other alternative, which would be losing Kucherov to an offer sheet?

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

So you’re saying they’d be fine with the other alternative, which would be losing Kucherov to an offer sheet?

Are you under the impression that Vancouver is the only team in the league they can deal with?  And the offer sheet threat is overblown.  It's been successful how many times? twice? ever

21 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Are you under the impression that Vancouver is the only team in the league they can deal with?  And the offer sheet threat is overblown.  It's been successful how many times? twice? ever

Just curious, do you have any purpose on this board other than to shoot down literally every single trade proposal involving the Canucks?

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just curious, do you have any purpose on this board other than to shoot down literally every single trade proposal involving the Canucks?

Sorry, does logic bother you?

Also, I didn't actually comment on the proposal, just your "take it or lose a star player" defense

Has anyone mentioned Dirty Harry Callahan's NMC?

It's interesting, Hippy. I've proposed a few of these sort(take a dump), but there's been fewer of them occurring(league-wide) than I had expected. Really curious to see how JB manoeuvres in the coming months, especially when/if we get a whack of cap space from the twin's contracts expiring.

50 minutes ago, Pears said:

No that sounds like an awful choice. All I'm saying is that I personally believe that they would get a better offer from another team (Vegas or Arizona perhaps) that wouldn't require them to give up such a recent draft choice. 

I kinda off like the proposal....Callahan has three more years but maybe he could be bought out after 2. Other than that, I would like to see better depth in the Canucks defensive pool because I doubt that we will ever see Subban or Pedan play again after this year barring some big time injury troubles. Chatfield and OJ look like they may one day play and likely Brisbois but I really like Foote.

My only concern is the cap space that is needed after this year with raises coming to Baer-cheese, Granlund and Stetcher but the Sedins should be willing to take a fair pay cut if they still want to keep playing hockey.

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Bolland got Arizona Crouse, Datsyuk got them another 1st etc,. I’m sure there’s been more but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. 

Datsyuk only let them move up a few spots.

I am not opposed to picking up a dump provided the price is right. In this case I don't think Tampa has any interest in Dorsett. If they are going to dump Callahan they wouldn't want a 4th liner making 2.6M long term and coming off a serious injury.

The issue with this is RC's contract is buy out friendly. Considering that, they won't be willing to give up much to get out of it. People speculated that we could get something from Dallas for Niemi but Niemi's contract was also buyout friendly.

Also Tampa Bays blueline is set. Subban would not be an attractive piece for them. Dorsett has a pricy cap hit. 

Just really no reason for them to consider

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Cap space.   They've a number of players due raises soon and not much space to work with.

Lose a prospect and tough contract now or be forced to make losing trades later ensuring the loss of a few pieces of youth over 1.

2 seasons ago nobody could see then seeing D'Angelo out either and....

This is Steve Yzerman we are talking. The guy who signed both Hedman and Stamkos, long-term at under 9M a piece.

He doesn't fear cap space.

I don't understand why people think teams will give up first rounder or high-profile prospect to get rid of bad contrats.   It never happens and teams always find a way to trade away bad contrats for a reasonnable price.

Detroit traded Datsyuk's contrat at the cost of moving 4 spot down in the draft (from 16th to 20th).  Plus, they got a 2nd rounder back as well (53rd overall).  Usually to cost of moving down a few spot in the top 20 is a 28th to 35th overall.   So basically it cost Detroit 20 rank in the 2nd round to get rid of Datsyuk.

Why the hell would Tampa give up their 14th overall pick last year.  Plus I dont see them having hardcore cap issues, they currently sit at 72.6 millions, with all their core signed

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No flaming but don't believe Canucks should trade any draft picks unless it is in a package for a generational player or a top 3 pick.   When you are re-establishing your cupboard, draft picks are vitally important.

Callan Foote is basically a draft pick...

Fans have this weird, almost evolutionary mechanism, where they cannot love a prospect as much if that prospect wasn't drafted by their own team. 

If Foote was part of the 2018 draft class, I still don't think he makes it out of the first round. So, you're getting a first round pick in exchange for basically a second round pick + giving up some cap space.

All that said, I don't see TB doing this at all. 

Archived