The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whitehouse Visit

Sbriggs

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, I know that, but what do they have against the flag or the anthem? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people are standing up to this injustice, or kneeling actually. Not sure dissing the anthem is going to be enough, but I wish them luck.        

I'm sure protesters have their reasons, but the guy who started this all, Colin Kaepernick, protests the national anthem and US flag because he won't 'show pride in a flag for a country that he feels oppresses black people and people of color'. 

Hard to argue with how he's gone about doing it as it's sure brought this whole dirty little topic front and center into the public consciousness.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh, I know that, but what do they have against the flag or the anthem? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people are standing up to this injustice, or kneeling actually. Not sure dissing the anthem is going to be enough, but I wish them luck.        

it's a way to keep the focus on the issue ,most pro athletes don't really like being interviewed. viewership for football is huge, its pretty simple, and easy to get behind .Trumps  got bigger fish to fry ,and should shut up and focus on everything else on his plate !

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm sure protesters have their reasons, but the guy who started this all, Colin Kaepernick, protests the national anthem and US flag because he won't 'show pride in a flag for a country that he feels oppresses black people and people of color'. 

Hard to argue with how he's gone about doing it as it's sure brought this whole dirty little topic front and center into the public consciousness.

One day there will be a statue of Colin Kaepernik, a hero who started a movement that sparked change in America.   

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Did this just start when Trump took office? How come they weren't taking a knee when Obama was in office?

They were. https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/11/12869726/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-seahawks-brandon-marshall-nfl

This is the thing, if you're gonna be butthurt about this at least know what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

People that continue to start threads on these topics should just get banned. Mods please consider this. 

Too bad.  Free speech.  Suck it up.  And a worthy topic since the Penguins went out of their way to make a statement.  As well as a bunch of other players in the NHL.

I used to be hesitant about Canadian players taking stances on American politics.  I still am.  Nobody likes it when Americans complain about Canadian issues.  But Trump deserves the flak he's getting right now.  And I think Crosby is making a mistake here.

Matthews shouldn't be harped on.  He has his right to stand during the anthem, and he also supports others' rights to NOT stand.  He merely stated his own beliefs and didn't make a judgment call on those who knelt.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

TBH I think all Trump stuff is stupid... I could care less about what goes on in America and rather focus on our own country. What really grinds my gears is that everyone up here in Canada is constantly talking about Trump and ignoring our own politics. Or even look at the Off Topic thread for Trump... it's over 1000 pages long, yet the BC Politics thread is only like 100 pages long. Our office is always talking about Trump yet none are aware enough on our own BC politics to go out and vote or make an educated vote. Yet Trump this Trump that.... sigh.......

This topic for a thread in general, is fine IMO. It's worthy of some discussion. As worthy as the 1000+ pages going on in the Trump thread in Off Topic IMO 

Considering he's about to start a war with North Korea there's reason why people are talking about him and US politics 

24 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Considering he's about to start a war with North Korea there's reason why people are talking about him and US politics 

Sure... but I think it's outrageous when so many colleagues are talking about Trump and the US... yet they know absolutely nothing of BC politics and the issues our own province faces. So many wont even go out and vote, yet they ramble about Trump all the time. 

I guess I'm not one to speak myself though as I just got more involved in BC politics the last year or two. 

On a side note, if North Korea had oil... The US would already have invaded and over thrown their government. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't fully understand why pro athletes are protesting the American anthem. Does that mean they dislike the song and the lyrics? Do they now dislike the American flag? Or do they dislike America altogether? I'm not sure what their protest has to do with the anthem. 

what does a national anthem and flag have to do with a local sports league.. nothing really

but since it is there

and an element of politics has been injected into that arena

and so it is valid to make political statements and take political positions at a sporting event

i have never understood why a local sporting league (and they all do it even though they are all based in usa/canada only) insists on playing the national anthem before each and every game

3 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I'm deeply disturbed that not only the Pittsburg Penguins are visiting the Whitehouse especially the fact Sid the Kid supports it. NHL Leadership is what is needed here, Sidney and the entire NHL and Canada as well should loudly let Scumbag Trump know we don't support racist views. Not surprising that white boy Matthews from TO supports Nascar and the trump point of view. I just heard on news that the reason the NHL is visiting and the NBA and future NFL are not is the NHL is a white league? How dumb is that. I don't want our game to be known for being a white league and a supporter of the Trump Whitehouse.

Subban will probably take a knee and expose just how racist the sport still is.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Poor guy raking up the minuses just because everyone loves Crosby lol

I have no love for Crosby. Vanilla player with no personality in a game that sells entertainment.

The post is bad. Regardless of ones political views, North Americans have the freedom to accept or decline an invitation to the White House. Republican or Democrat, it doesn't matter. Post wasn't well thought out.

That said, everyone stay on topic. There is a thread that exists already for what I assume this one will eventually turn into.

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I'm deeply disturbed that not only the Pittsburg Penguins are visiting the Whitehouse especially the fact Sid the Kid supports it. NHL Leadership is what is needed here, Sidney and the entire NHL and Canada as well should loudly let Scumbag Trump know we don't support racist views. Not surprising that white boy Matthews from TO supports Nascar and the trump point of view. I just heard on news that the reason the NHL is visiting and the NBA and future NFL are not is the NHL is a white league? How dumb is that. I don't want our game to be known for being a white league and a supporter of the Trump Whitehouse.

I would be surprised if Matthews is a Trump supporter. His mother is of Mexican descent and he is from Arizona. Then consider Trump's disparaging remarks regarding Mexicans or his decision to pardon Joe Arpaio who was known for racially profiling Latinos in Arizona. He has a right to stand for the anthem and he has a right to have his views regarding the protest. 

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't recall giving you permission to speak on my behalf.

Please refrain from doing so again.

5 hours ago, Heretic said:

It's a "free" country.  

If person A has the right to kneel during the national anthem, then person B has the right to stand.

its not truly a free country when we are now getting ticketed for eating in our own car.... so much in this world now needs a lot of interpretation. new era when everyone starts doing stuff to how they feel...im sure kids don't take the same position when they are in school and sing the national anthem. just the ones that make the millions get away with it.

Archived