The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Goal Celebration Issue.

Caknuckle Puck

I dunno. I just randomly searched Canucks game winning goals from last season and got this:

Seems like this team has no problem celebrating a goal when they're winning. Especially early in the season and before they're facing elimination from the playoffs. Players seem to have real emotion and genuine affection for each other. Young guys and old guys united. Lots of hugs and smiles and taps on the helmet and jumping on each other and heartfelt congratulations.

I'd imagine the feelings fade a bit when you start losing a bunch and get late in a season that's become somewhat meaningless.

But in November, after a big win in OT, this team has no problem coming together to celebrate a goal.

I think once this team starts winning more than they lose, these types of goal celebrations will become more of the norm.

In the last few years, I've seen some decent celebrations from the guys. When Stecher scored his first goal, I thought Hutton and Sutter were going to take his head off.

I don't see a lot of the vets doing it anymore, because they be old and most of their buddies have been traded already, but Bo, Hutton, Stecher, and other younger players have been pretty happy when they've scored.

I think a huge factor is team chemistry, and the fact that the roster has been in serious flux lately. Once a steady core is maintained, the celebrations will be more heartfelt.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I dunno. I just randomly searched Canucks game winning goals from last season and got this:

Seems like this team has no problem celebrating a goal when they're winning. Especially early in the season and before they're facing elimination from the playoffs. Players seem to have real emotion and genuine affection for each other. Young guys and old guys united. Lots of hugs and smiles and taps on the helmet and jumping on each other and heartfelt congratulations.

I'd imagine the feelings fade a bit when you start losing a bunch and get late in a season that's become somewhat meaningless.

But in November, after a big win in OT, this team has no problem coming together to celebrate a goal.

I think once this team starts winning more than they lose, these types of goal celebrations will become more of the norm.

And beating the Stars for the first time in a while and off such a laser from Granlund, it's worthy of celebrating.

Honestly OP does have a point, but these cellys must be timely. I feel as if this is more of a recency bias for you as we havent had much to play for in a while. Remember when Virtanen scored his first goal? Or what about Boesers first goal? Horvat nearly mauled him lol, it's all about timing OP.

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
13 minutes ago, JoesRooster said:

Honestly OP does have a point, but these cellys must be timely. I feel as if this is more of a recency bias for you as we havent had much to play for in a while. Remember when Virtanen scored his first goal? Or what about Boesers first goal? Horvat nearly mauled him lol, it's all about timing OP.

Let me just take this opportunity to say what a great profile picture you have.

4 hours ago, tas said:

act like you've been there before. 

Exactly this. As others have said, the younger guys are celebrating but the vets aren't as much.

It comes from the team shift post cup run. The 2010-2011 season almost every goal was celebrated. But, when the Canucks failed to win the cup despite winning the President's Trophy they turned goal celebrations way down for the following season. They had a mentality of "the regular season is not what matters, just the playoffs do." As tas said, the team viewed regular season goals as "act like you've been there before" or another way to put it "business as usual."

That attitude remains in the Sedins and Edler who were part of that core, and the attitude will never truly be gone until the Sedins retire. However, we have seen the start of change with the younger guys celebrating a bit more.

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

This is all Benning's fault. He should have drafted this guy, I hear he's still available:

What a moron.  Besides looking incredibly stupid, he couldn't even manage to break his stick or blade.  If I had a kid that did that I'd tell him that he was going to start paying for his own gear.  He'd learn to respect his equipment real fast.

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

It comes from the team shift post cup run. The 2010-2011 season almost every goal was celebrated. But, when the Canucks failed to win the cup despite winning the President's Trophy they turned goal celebrations way down for the following season. They had a mentality of "the regular season is not what matters, just the playoffs do." As tas said, the team viewed regular season goals as "act like you've been there before" or another way to put it "business as usual."

I recall that at one point, the team even stopped flying by the bench after goals to bump fists.  I actually liked that, as I am a fan of "acting like you've been there before" (e.g. was a big fan of Marshawn Lynch's TD "celebrations" where he just shook his teammates hands).

Ideally, I would like to see the goal-scorer be subdued but his teammates be excited.  I think there is something to be said for the lift in confidence and energy that an athlete gets from seeing teammates be excited for him.

This is probably at least partially the residual effects of Mike Gillis' New Age Country Club atmosphere.  Emotionless robots don't celebrate goals.  But more than this, it is that there hasn't been many meaningful games, let alone goals in those games, to celebrate.  This team definitely needs a kick in the ass, and who knows what it is going to be.

10 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

Love and support from your team mates and having that connection has nothing to do with where your team is  though.. its more the connection with the players/coach, I know the younger kids are growing together and bonding so I'm not worried,It would just be nice to see some FIRE in the boys you know? and I do understand what your saying.

We came back in a heck of a lot of 2 goal deficit games in the beginning of last year. The "enthusiasm" decreased in proportion to our comeback and losing record. See a correlation? I don't see a goal celebration or bonding issue with this club.

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Probably stems from a lack of meaningful goals being scored. Or goals in general. Got some young guys, with personality, so maybe we'll see more enthusiastic celes soon. Not sure I 100% buy into celebrate like a gentleman idea. Goals should be fun and exciting. Get the crowd going. 

I hope it rubs off on some of the older fellas. :> I play sports not professionally but I still play team sports and regardless of the first or last game, we do it all but maybe that has something to do with playing with the same players for 10 years+

maybe its not as bad as i thought, after watching the game winning highlights, we just need more big wins and team chemistry :) it will come

If anything I think the goal celebration in the stands is what needs the real work. People hardly even stand for goals in Rogers these days, let alone cheer. 

And who in the hell do we need to talk to to get rid of that stupid 'WOOOOOOO' thing?! I must be missing some history around that or something but it drives me insane. It's ridiculously obnoxious, at least to me...and everyone I complain about it to. Maybe some like it?

Archived