The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 23 players - Sept. 26, 2017 (1 claimed)

honestly I think Shink is worth another look. Calgary has not used him in a top 9 role so of course his numbers are down. If we traded Rodin e.g., for a C/F prospect with Shink's potential and background of scoring in the WHL and AHL that we weren't as familiar with I think most of CDC would be fine with it. He's only 22.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly I think Shink is worth another look. Calgary has not used him in a top 9 role so of course his numbers are down. If we traded Rodin e.g., for a C/F prospect with Shink's potential and background of scoring in the WHL and AHL that we weren't as familiar with I think most of CDC would be fine with it. He's only 22.

I think it didnt take long for Utica/Canucks management to realize that Shink's game would not translate well in the NHL.  Lots of his AHL goals and perimeter play wouldnt have worked in the big league.  

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I think it didnt take long for Utica/Canucks management to realize that Shink's game would not translate well in the NHL.  Lots of his AHL goals and perimeter play wouldnt have worked in the big league.  

true but looking at the development of Baer e.g., he did overcome similar issues to what Shink will have to as well. Not saying its a slam dunk but I wouldn't be upset by Benning giving it one more try this year.

23 minutes ago, ThaManbeast said:

For who???

The Canucks shouldn't claim any of these players. Are we really going to claim Shinkaruk to take a spot from guys like Boeser or Virtanen?

no but maybe over a PTO. The book on Baer was the same when we got him, and he was able to elevate his game. I don't really care that much either way just saying it could be an interesting move in a rebuild year. 

ZOMG!  We can get Frankie Corrado back and end the debate of asset management!  He could be our 10th defenseman :)  Or Shinkaruk and definitely win the Granlund/Shink trade!  Oh well, going back to morning coffee and glad we moved forward....hehe Granlund for Shinkaruk, still smiling...

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

23 minutes ago, ThaManbeast said:

For who???

The Canucks shouldn't claim any of these players. Are we really going to claim Shinkaruk to take a spot from guys like Boeser or Virtanen?

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Shinkaruk was a Gillis draft pick. No way Benning signs him. Besides, he's done nothing to prove he's an NHLer. One of Benning's better trades (Granlund).

It would look impressive for the Canucks to end up with Granlund and Shinkaruk -- reminding everyone that Benning won the Granny -- Shink trade. But, as @ThaManbeast says, there is just no room for him on the roster. With guys like Boeser, Virtanen, Rodin, and Burmistrov all contending for the last few spots I just don't see how Shink fits.

Shink is (another) classic example of a high skill guy who can score in Junior and in the AHL but whose game does not translate to the NHL. And if he can't play top 6, hard to see how he fits.

Just now, JamesB said:

Shink is (another) classic example of a high skill guy who can score in Junior and in the AHL but whose game does not translate to the NHL. And if he can't play top 6, hard to see how hit fits.

I agree.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see him play in Europe in the next year or two.

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It would look impressive for the Canucks to end up with Granlund and Shinkaruk -- reminding everyone that Benning won the Granny -- Shink trade. But, as @ThaManbeast says, there is just no room for him on the roster. With guys like Boeser, Virtanen, Rodin, and Burmistrov all contending for the last few spots I just don't see how Shink fits.

Shink is (another) classic example of a high skill guy who can score in Junior and in the AHL but whose game does not translate to the NHL. And if he can't play top 6, hard to see how hit fits.

Couldn't we claim him and then turn around and try to send him to Utica anyway? If someone else gets him fine but he could be back in our system. If he could elevate his game the way no one in Calgary thought Baer could it would be a nice thing for us. Cull seems like a level-headed coach who may be very good  for his development. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Couldn't we claim him and then turn around and try to send him to Utica anyway? If someone else gets him fine but he could be back in our system. If he could elevate his game the way no one in Calgary thought Baer could it would be a nice thing for us. 

I think the rule is once you make a claim on waivers, the player has to stay active on the roster for 30 days before he can be sent down again.  And because he didn't clear the first time, or by waiver rules has spent 30 days on the NHL roster, he would have to go through waivers again to go down to the minors. Thus meaning he would be taking a spot from someone like Brock, Jake, Anton or others

Archived