The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 23 players - Sept. 26, 2017 (1 claimed)

Shinkaruk never generated the explosive speed you might have envisioned when he was drafted either? He scored a ton of goals based on his burners in junior. But I also recall comments from Green that he did not seem to have the speed to go wide on AHL D. And had to alter his game.  

I stunted a few steps as he had the shoulders, neck, and arms of Pee Wee Herman when he got drafted.

I was pissed off when he still had them two years later after turning pro. Noy unhappy at all to see him traded. I complained that he got traded for a C, which we seemed overstocked on at the time. Instead of a D? But Benning explained that D was hard to get at the time. It has proven that JB got good value.

I am making an educated guess he simply never did the workouts you see in these videos. The same types I propose would give an Elias Petterson the exact balance of muscle, strength, endurance, and fitness he will need to be truly explosive.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/we-are-all-canucks/t-277437438/c-52927303

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I remember hearing on team1040 (take that for what it's worth) that Green was onboard with the Canucks trading Shink.

ah ok didn't know that. Its really interesting to go back on this trade, it was such a defining moment for so many fans on Benning, and not in a good way. I wonder how much of the negativity is left even though Jim was correct? I think the Guddy deal will turn out the same as this too. 

But having said that, if Shink is able to get strong and get to the net there's still potentially a good player there. Plus i just want to burn Flames fans :P

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the way I was actually thinking of it was early season insurance. Of course there's a dozen other things that could happen but, IF...

• Rodin is a bust
  • Gaunce needs more time past November
  • some one else gets an injury

then maybe Shink gets one more chance to learn from Green. I love what Green did for Sven. Why not Shink?

It won't be too much longer before Rodin is declared a bust. 

JK. 

12 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Out of Shinkaruk(van), Klimchuck(cgy), Nastasiuk(det) and Kosmachuk(wpg) which 'Uk' will ultimately prevail?

Shinks a career AHLer or KHL bound I think. Klimchuk is injury prone but his numbers exploded from previous years in AHL..maybe GMJB can fleece Flamers again at an opportune time.

21 hours ago, EagleShield said:

If Calgary have offered Shinkaruk to the league for nothing, we have won the trade and essentially got Granlund and Baertschi for a 2nd (that we probably would have taken Brisebois with anyway).

I was one of the people who was horrified by the trade, but how wrong I was.

You were not the only one. This is what I had to say at the time

It doesn't matter how much you polish this , it's still a colossal TURD

turd.jpg

Edited February 22, 2016 by canuckpuckluck15

But hey what do I know?

I really want Shinkaruk to succeed. He was my favourite player and I was sad to see him go and crushed when he was traded to Calgary. Despite us winning the trade, I still want Shinkaruk to succeed. Hopefully he gets that chance elsewhere.

Well glad to see that we managed to get something from our players before they got to this point. Still upset for Frankie though, I felt we screwed him around a bit and then he got the ticket to Toronto.... never been the same since. It's a shame, he had such promise. He may still be able to turn it around but looking like a journeyman career for him now. 

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Man, Calgary's young'uns are lookin' pretty rough based on those three.

There are just fringe players that got passed by better younger players. 

Klimchuk, Shinkaruk and Poirier are all 22, turning 23 this year.  Meanwhile the flames have Bennett, Tkachuk, Monahan and likely Lazar all on the team that are the same age and younger.

And that's ignoring the next crop of talent they have coming, Valimaki, Parsons, Dube, Andersson and Kylington

Archived