The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton terror attacks: Police officer stabbed, four people struck by U-Haul

Toews

Edmonton terror attacks: Police officer stabbed, people struck by U-Haul

A terrorism investigation is underway in Edmonton, where a police officer was stabbed and four pedestrians struck down by a fleeing U-Haul truck Saturday night.

A 30-year-old Edmonton man is in custody and police think he acted alone, but they aren’t ruling out the potential for others to be be involved.

“We are urging Edmontonians to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings,” Edmonton Police Service Chief Rod Knecht said in a 3 a.m. news conference on the attacks.

The chaos began down the street from Commonwealth Stadium, where the Edmonton Eskimos were hosting the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Canadian Forces Appreciation Night. Over 30,000 people were at the game.

Police said at around 8:15 p.m., a car rammed a traffic checkpoint on Stadium Road near 92 Street, striking an officer and sending him flying into the air.

“Suddenly and without notice and at a high rate of speed, a male driving a white, Chevrolet Malibu crashed through the traffic barricades that were separating vehicles from pedestrians, the vehicle struck the officer, sending him flying into the air 15 feet before colliding with the officer’s cruiser, again at a high rate of speed,” Knecht explained.

He said there was an ISIS flag in the car.  A photo of that type of flag appears below.

Knecht said a man, believed to be 30 years old, then jumped out of his car and “viciously attacked” the Edmonton Police Service member with a knife. “A struggle then ensued, during which the male suspect stabbed the officer several times before fleeing the scene on foot northbound down 92nd street.”

The officer was taken to hospital and treated for non life-threatening injuries while a manhunt was launched.

At around 11:30 p.m., reporter Laurel Gregory was just wrapping up a live report at the end of Global Edmonton’s News at 11 when a police officer shouted out a warning: “Get behind a tree. Or a car. This is for your own protection!” Gregory and cameraman Nathan Gross scrambled to safety.

Police say it was just before midnight when a U-Haul truck was pulled over at a checkstop on Wayne Gretzky Drive near 112 Avenue. Knecht said the officer realized the driver’s name was similar to that of the Malibu’s registered owner, and the U-Haul truck took off, pursued by police towards downtown Edmonton.

“Throughout the chase, the truck deliberately tried to hit pedestrians in crosswalks and alleys in two areas along Jasper Avenue.”

One witness said the U-Haul came speeding down 109th Street and careened east into the alley next to a bar, hitting two people.

And at 107 Street and Jasper Avenue, someone else was seen being loaded into an ambulance. In total, four people were injured and taken to hospital.

Witnesses described seeing over a dozen police cruisers in the downtown core, lights and sirens on, blocking intersections.

The U-Haul ended up on its side on 100 Avenue, near 107 Street, near The Matrix hotel.

“The driver was apprehended and taken into police custody,” Knecht said. “It is believed at this time that these two incidents are related.”

The incidents bear striking similarities to recent terror attacks in Europe.

“These incidents are being investigated as acts of terrorism,” Knecht explained.

Edmonton police, the RCMP Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) and its Canadian Public Security Agencies are investigating the incidents as acts of terrorism under Section 83.2 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

“We believe the individual acted alone, but we’re not ruling out that there may be others.”

Police said there was no warning of the event. The name of the man arrested has not been released.

Edmonton police are expected to provide another update at 3 p.m. MT Sunday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3778722/edmonton-terror-attacks-police-stabbed-u-haul-rampage/

Hopefully everyone comes out of it alright and this coward goes away for a long time.

4 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

Suspected terror at this point. Just want to remind all that multiple more lives were lost in the last 24 to drug overdoses, impaired drivers and law enforcement than to "terror' in the land.  

This thread is going to to devolve into the usual nonsense anyway, some people are inclined to use such incidents to push their political agenda. What's important is the message from the Police Chief that all of us practice vigilance especially when there is an event in town. Any signs of suspicious activity should be reported. We live in some troubling times and we should not consider ourselves immune to such attacks.

44 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

Suspected terror at this point. Just want to remind all that multiple more lives were lost in the last 24 to drug overdoses, impaired drivers and law enforcement than to "terror' in the land.  

What the hell is your point? 

We shouldn't care because people are injured and killed in other ways?

Obviously impaired driving and drug overdoses are very concerning however this thread is about some lunatic with a isis flag trying to kill many people. It's nice to see you hardly care.

1 hour ago, nucklehead said:

Great point!

i see the connection.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

awful. the only thing surprising about it is that it hasn't happened earlier. i don't think there ever will be a solution to lone-wolf nut-cases. 

If it's true that they found and ISIS flag in the vehicle we know who to blame. These terrorists will continue to destroy the public confidence in a peaceful society and we will turn on each other. It will start with those who knee jerk to the fear battling with those heads in the sand who want to believe something else. Overtime they win. 

How to report suspicious activity with profiling? I see multiple guys in my neighbourhood who appear to be muslim, who seem like good dudes, but I can't help but wonder or think if they are up to no good. I talked with two of them to try to make acquaintances but they had no interest and shuffled off. Left me more uncomfortable than when I hadn't spoken to them. 

11 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

If it's true that they found and ISIS flag in the vehicle we know who to blame. These terrorists will continue to destroy the public confidence in a peaceful society and we will turn on each other. It will start with those who knee jerk to the fear battling with those heads in the sand who want to believe something else. Overtime they win. 

How to report suspicious activity with profiling? I see multiple guys in my neighbourhood who appear to be muslim, who seem like good dudes, but I can't help but wonder or think if they are up to no good. I talked with two of them to try to make acquaintances but they had no interest and shuffled off. Left me more uncomfortable than when I hadn't spoken to them. 

ISIS inspired lone wolf attackers, or single individuals that are just crazy too, are very hard to identify and stop, thats simply reality. What we can do as a society is not over react and start acting against an entire peaceful group of people. I think the RCMP, CSIS and others are doing what they can to monitor things and as far as lone wolves go unfortunately I think thats just going to be part of modern life for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ISIS inspired lone wolf attackers, or single individuals that are just crazy too, are very hard to identify and stop, thats simply reality. What we can do as a society is not over react and start acting against an entire peaceful group of people. I think the RCMP, CSIS and others are doing what they can to monitor things and as far as lone wolves go unfortunately I think thats just going to be part of modern life for a while. 

While I agree, these lone wolves likely meet or are being fed information from somewhere else. More should be done. Where did he get the ISIS flag from would be a good start. Make them illegal to own punishable by 10 years in prison without parole. 

5 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

While I agree, these lone wolves likely meet or are being fed information from somewhere else. More should be done. Where did he get the ISIS flag from would be a good start. Make them illegal to own punishable by 10 years in prison without parole. 

Sadly it said he was known to police, although it said they had no knowledge of a potential attack.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3778722/edmonton-terror-attacks-police-stabbed-u-haul-rampage/

Hopefully everyone comes out of it alright and this coward goes away for a long time.

life in prison seems fair.

7 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I like this idea.

10 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Why would people turn against their own because of some lunatic? 

How do you know the dudes are Muslim? If they seem like "good dudes" then why would you suspect them of being "up to no good". I am a fairly reserved person as well, I would not be interested in talking to a complete stranger. I am not trying to insult you but I think you are coming across as way too paranoid. 

3 hours ago, Toews said:

That is one tough cop. Gets nailed by a car, stabbed repeatedly, but still fights off the garbage. Would have been nice to see a heroic bystander step in. 

1 minute ago, clam linguine said:

That is one tough cop. Gets nailed by a car, stabbed repeatedly, but still fights off the garbage. Would have been nice to see a heroic bystander step in. 

Absolutely, this is why we can't let a few bad apples downplay the heroic work these individuals do.

Archived