Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van, CBJ, Det

To CBJ

Goldobin/Baertschi

Sutter

Subban

Van- Anderson

Then offer sheet Athanisiou 

The CBJ package can be adjusted but we basically get 2 wingers with size, speed and hands.

Both are former teammates of Horvat.

Sign these guys till their UFA status. 

Anderson wants $2.5?

Athanisiou wants just over $3?

Drop in a bucket compared to what Baertschi and Granlund will command at the end of the year and currently what Vanek is making.

They also buy time till guys like Dahlen, Gadjovich and Lind are ready.

Anderson will punch you in the face,  hit you thru the boards and score a dirty goal and drive fans out of their seats.

Athanisiou drives the net and has wheels that Baertschi can only dream of.

AA-BO-BOESER 3.5+5.5+.85=9.85

Eriksson-Burmistrov-Virtanen 6+.9+.9=7.8

Danny-Hank-Anderson 7+7+2.5=16.5

Archibald-Gagner-Dorsett .9+2.5+2 65=6.1

Edler-Stecher 5+ .85=5.85

Hutton-Tanev 2.5+4.5=7

Delz-Guddy 2+3.5=5.5

Pedan-Biega .9+.9=1.8

Markstrom 3.5

Nilsson 2

$65.90M for this year alone

Take off Sedins $14m next year and we got a nice salary of around 52-55m with a great young nucleus of forwards all signed up.

Teams are gonna have to work HARD to beat us every night with the Travis Green work ethic instilled into these guys

All are roughly 25 and under and full of salt n vinegar

Waive or get rid of Vanek. So what if we don't get the draft pick at TDL. Prolly won't get more than a 4th for him anyway.

Resign Jake to 1.5 bridge deal

Perhaps one of Pettersson or Gaudette can join on C

Perhaps sign Sedins to 1yr 2m/

Sign the best free agent D

But getting guys like

Anderson and Athanisiou would be key and great additions right now

Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Thoughts?

1.  Just don't see CBJ not signing their guy - he's pretty valuable to their future and your proposal is more quantity rather than quality for CBJ. 

2.  Don't like the offer sheet concept.   Would rather see what JB can do with our own 2nd rounder which is the minimum it would likely cost us.  

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

1.  Just don't see CBJ not signing their guy - he's pretty valuable to their future and your proposal is more quantity rather than quality for CBJ. 

2.  Don't like the offer sheet concept.   Would rather see what JB can do with our own 2nd rounder which is the minimum it would likely cost us.  

IMO Athanasiou is better than whoever we’d take with our 2nd.

29 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

I like the suggestions.  I also think it is 'piss' and vinegar.  But, I do like salt and vinegar chips that is.

Piss & vinegar chips could be force-fed to Messier..but yes, you've alertly spotted snack food :^)

OP..I like goin' hard after Anderson. Who's like, real good. Don't think they'd want Sutter's contract. They've got a whack(UFA's, RFA's) that'll demand big coin. Something like Dorsett(retain 1 mill), Baer & Subban perhaps?

Also don't like offer sheets. No one's taken that path to success. Just creates bad blood amongst 30 counterpart GM's.

24 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well I would hope to re-coup the picks by TDL when we sell off the Del Zotto,  Tanev's,  Vanek's,  etc...

That’s what we have to do tbh. Edler too. This trade deadline needs to be an absolute fire sale. 

I sorta agree a fire sale of 4 to 6 players but we need to get NHL ready players back or younger guys that might be ready in a year two most plus picks

i have said to people if we are 5 points or more back sell at the TDL unless we are in a playoff spot then just sell off older players

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Piss & vinegar chips could be force-fed to Messier..but yes, you've alertly spotted snack food :^)

OP..I like goin' hard after Anderson. Who's like, real good. Don't think they'd want Sutter's contract. They've got a whack(UFA's, RFA's) that'll demand big coin. Something like Dorsett(retain 1 mill), Baer & Subban perhaps?

Also don't like offer sheets. No one's taken that path to success. Just creates bad blood amongst 30 counterpart GM's.

However the combination of who goes to CBJ.

If we kept Sutter, I'm ok since he actually doesn't look too bad in his new apparent role.

I think If Det misses the playoffs again, I can see the GM either being forced to resign, or simply get canned. That team is a longggggg way from the Bowman era and even the last dude.

That team is now more stale than 2 month old French bread and going into a new arena, fans aren't gonna put up with being reminded of the early 80's all over again.  Heck, I'm sure we have the assets to make a hockey trade but rather just do an offer sheet and cough up the 2nd rnd pick for a 15-20 goal scorer right now.

9 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

However the combination of who goes to CBJ.

If we kept Sutter, I'm ok since he actually doesn't look too bad in his new apparent role.

I think If Det misses the playoffs again, I can see the GM either being forced to resign, or simply get canned. That team is a longggggg way from the Bowman era and even the last dude.

That team is now more stale than 2 month old French bread and going into a new arena, fans aren't gonna put up with being reminded of the early 80's all over again.  Heck, I'm sure we have the assets to make a hockey trade but rather just do an offer sheet and cough up the 2nd rnd pick for a 15-20 goal scorer right now.

But then we'll stay concerned about tit-fer-tat as our talented kids age up. Offer sheets just haven't flown to anyone's benefit.

Have to echo what's already been said. Offer sheets almost never result in a player changing teams and always result in bad blood.

With Detroit, their cap situation has them between a rock and a hard place. They can't get rid of their old players because of no trades and they can't compete because the team just isn't good enough. Green comes off the books next year but Larkin and Martha are due significant raises.

That said Athanasiou is a decent young player and it be unlikely to see Detroit let him go. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Green for anything they can get as a short term fix. Or they package another roster player with Ottawa's 2nd for longer term relief. Just can't imagine a scenario where they let him go for a 2nd.

As for Anderson your offer is pieces. Some decent pieces mind you but likely not appealing to them. They are ready to compete now and will want players ready to make an impact. I could see them having an interest in Tanev or even Gudbranson. They are short on the right side. Good chance Columbus is on Tanev's list of teams but if he isn't, perhaps a deal can be swung. I know Subban plays on the right side but considering he hasn't managed to crack the Canucks lineup I'd be surprised if they valued him right now.

Anderson would be a good pickup.

Also just a nitpick, but you say to offer Anderson and Athanasiou 2.5 and 3 to play here, and that it's a drop in the bucket compared to what Vanek is currently making. Vanek is only making 2 mil currently...

56 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Also just a nitpick, but you say to offer Anderson and Athanasiou 2.5 and 3 to play here, and that it's a drop in the bucket compared to what Vanek is currently making. Vanek is only making 2 mil currently...

Offer sheets almost never work because smart GM's are on their toes and have their collective crap together.

If a GM has his players plucked by offer sheet because he has other slugs signed then that's on him. Benning and Co just have to make sure they got THEIR guys all sorted out.

That's mostly why we haven't seen any offers sheets since EDM snagged that dude from Anaheim.

IMO Vanek has a VERY limited future/present here. I find it a bit of a waste that he is even here. Sorta like Eriksson but atleast Vanek is only signed to a 1 yr deal.

Having guys like Anderson and AA signed for the next 4 yrs at 2.5 and 3m respectively is a much better scenario than a seriously declining Vanek

10 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Offer sheets almost never work because smart GM's are on their toes and have their collective crap together.

If a GM has his players plucked by offer sheet because he has other slugs signed then that's on him. Benning and Co just have to make sure they got THEIR guys all sorted out.

That's mostly why we haven't seen any offers sheets since EDM snagged that dude from Anaheim.

IMO Vanek has a VERY limited future/present here. I find it a bit of a waste that he is even here. Sorta like Eriksson but atleast Vanek is only signed to a 1 yr deal.

Having guys like Anderson and AA signed for the next 4 yrs at 2.5 and 3m respectively is a much better scenario than a seriously declining Vanek

Vanek had 48 points in 68 games playing for teams that are nearly as bad as the Canucks. Horvat had 52 in 81 games and Henrik had 50 in 82 games. 

Vanek averaged nearly 50 points over the last 3 seasons so your assertion that he is seriously declining is just wrong. You are right in that his time will be short here. Come the deadline he'll likely be gone for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Signing players to 1 year deals and flipping them at the deadline is what Toronto did and it worked wonders for their prospect pool. Creating competition for positions on the the team and acquiring assets is a good thing. It is nothing like the Eriksson deal which was just a terrible idea from the get go.

As for Athanasiou, it is sort of the perfect storm that a team may pry him away. Detroit will likely have to send out assets to find cap for him and the Canucks 2nd will likely be close to being a 1st. Still not sold that Detroit would let it happen but I'll say there's a chance which is unusual for an offer sheet.

Anderson would be a nice addition but one thing to consider is he had a 14.3 shooting % last year. He definitely had a fair bit of puck luck and I'll be surprised if he doesn't regress this year

17 hours ago, Pears said:

IMO Athanasiou is better than whoever we’d take with our 2nd.

Offer sheets,  as rare as they are,  likely would only be effective if they're for significantly more than what the team is already offering otherwise they typically just get matched - therefore you could expect the compensation to be much more than just a second.   How much more than just a 2nd do you think this guy is worth? 

2 hours ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Vanek had 48 points in 68 games playing for teams that are nearly as bad as the Canucks. Horvat had 52 in 81 games and Henrik had 50 in 82 games. 

Vanek averaged nearly 50 points over the last 3 seasons so your assertion that he is seriously declining is just wrong. You are right in that his time will be short here. Come the deadline he'll likely be gone for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Signing players to 1 year deals and flipping them at the deadline is what Toronto did and it worked wonders for their prospect pool. Creating competition for positions on the the team and acquiring assets is a good thing. It is nothing like the Eriksson deal which was just a terrible idea from the get go.

As for Athanasiou, it is sort of the perfect storm that a team may pry him away. Detroit will likely have to send out assets to find cap for him and the Canucks 2nd will likely be close to being a 1st. Still not sold that Detroit would let it happen but I'll say there's a chance which is unusual for an offer sheet.

Anderson would be a nice addition but one thing to consider is he had a 14.3 shooting % last year. He definitely had a fair bit of puck luck and I'll be surprised if he doesn't regress this year

I think that with the Addition of AA and Anderson, that we climb the standings and can argue a pish for a playoff spot so that 2nd becomes a mid-late 2nd.

Anderson has been on fire since his 2nd year in AHL where he wasn't a passenger on that teams ascent to the Calder Cup by posting a point a game in 15 games. The following year, last year, he pops in 17 goals. I see a player on the rise.

Same with Athanisiou 

As for Vanek....if Canucks are in playoff hunt by TDL, do they honestly still trade/dump Vanek?

12 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I think that with the Addition of AA and Anderson, that we climb the standings and can argue a pish for a playoff spot so that 2nd becomes a mid-late 2nd.

Anderson has been on fire since his 2nd year in AHL where he wasn't a passenger on that teams ascent to the Calder Cup by posting a point a game in 15 games. The following year, last year, he pops in 17 goals. I see a player on the rise.

Same with Athanisiou 

As for Vanek....if Canucks are in playoff hunt by TDL, do they honestly still trade/dump Vanek?

I'll be shocked if the Canucks are in the playoffs race, especially with how much better a lot of western teams have gotten. Adding Boeser and the free agents will help but we'll likely be in the cellar again with Colorado and a few eastern teams.

As for Vanek, even if the Canucks are in the playoff race they likely deal him unless Goldobin regresses. 

On 10/2/2017 at 10:05 PM, HockeydownUnder said:

I'll be shocked if the Canucks are in the playoffs race, especially with how much better a lot of western teams have gotten. Adding Boeser and the free agents will help but we'll likely be in the cellar again with Colorado and a few eastern teams.

As for Vanek, even if the Canucks are in the playoff race they likely deal him unless Goldobin regresses. 

I'm not as convinced as others that these Western teams are that much improved.

Not in Pacific anyway

Just now, missioncanucksfan said:

I'm not as convinced as others that these Western teams are that much improved.

Not in Pacific anyway

You don't think Calgary and Edmonton are improved?  The Flames young players are one year older, and they added a goalie and Hamonic and now Jagr.  The Oilers are also a very young team, and those young guys are all one year more mature.  Those two teams might finish 1-2 in the Western Conference.  (I hate them both, and hope they crash and burn)

Archived